Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567132853 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    since I brought up Chabon, I'll take a moment to share what one critic has to say about him when reviewing his newest novel - "The Yiddish Policemans Union" which is being released next week....it's my personal "Must Read of The Year"

The Yiddish Policemen’s Union” is an admirably ambitious, and beautiful, work of literature.Chabon is an avatar of straightforward, old-fashioned, pulpy plotting, so it may pain him to read this, but he has become a novelist of ideas and language, a writer for whom plot is a mere necessity. Part of him wants to be John Irving, and that would be grand enough, but what we have here is a writer who could soon be as great as Bernard Malamud, Saul Bellow, Milan Kundera. He’s not in their league yet, but if he keeps writing books this good, he’ll be called up any day.

http://www.forward.com/articles/jewish-noir/

(Kundera wrote another one of my favorite novels, "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being".)

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being is a masterwork. The film isn't bad either.
    Kundera is on my "Must Read Soon" list (among with tons of others), I had no idea there was a film.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Kundera is on my "Must Read Soon" list (among with tons of others), I had no idea there was a film.
    It's a very good adaptation.

m8 love your signature. I have so many fave Lennon/McCartney lyrics but here is one of them.

Fool On The Hill

(The Beatles)

Day after day, alone on the hill,
    The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still.
    But nobody wants to know him,
    They can see that he's just a fool.
    And he never gives an answer .....

But the fool on the hill,
    Sees the sun going down.
    And the eyes in his head,
    See the world spinning around.

Well on his way, his head in a cloud,
    The man of a thousand voices, talking perfectly loud.
    But nobody ever hears him,
    Or the sound he appears to make.
    And he never seems to notice .....
    Refrain

And nobody seems to like him,
    They can tell what he wants to do.
    And he never shows his feelings,

Refrain

Rainy days should be outlawed. After reading this thread I have put Pynchon "The Crying of Lot 49",
    Kundera: "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"

And the two short stories by Eudora Welty
    "A Good Man is Hard To Find" and "A Worn Path".

I read "Beloved" right after I gave birth to my daughter. Not a very good idea was it? I tried to read "Paradise" but simply couldn't. Toni Morrisson is a great writer but she's gotten really dense and difficult to read for me.

My favorite Baldwin is "Just Above My Head". I never see it mentioned much but it was the one that got through to me although I have read his other work.

For those who like Fantasy and Sci Fi I love love love the late Marion Zimmer Bradley. Her "Darkover" series is a mix of high tech sci fi, fantasy, and social commentary.
    Her master work IMO is "The Mists of Avalon". Once I read that I couldn't deal with any other working of the Arthurian legend.

Walter Mosely(sp) and Barbara Hambley's Ben January series of mysteries are also on my list.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Fool on the hill is definitely one of my favorites, too, Ti! (And thanks).

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

M8 and Ti:

"Unbearable Lightness" is one of those books that, after you complete it, you realize just how amazing fiction can be. It requires a little bit of patience (it's not the easiest book to read, but not as difficult as Pynchon), and you'll come to points where you'll have to stop and think about some of the themes that Kundera works with. But it's one of those "wow" books that you'll want other people to read after you finish it.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Amie, Just Above My Head is a great book. Beloved right after giving birth to your daughter? Yowza. Paradise is Toni's attempt at writing a bible. I've read it five times now, but it took me till read 3 to figure out what she was doing. I'm still not so sure if I like it much, but there's so much history in it I can't help but revisit it from time to time. It became background reading while I was finishing my book. In any event, she's an acquired taste. But if you acquire it, you realize her unfettered genius.

By the way, Flannery O'Connor wrote "A Good Man is Hard to Find".

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Amie, Just Above My Head is a great book. Beloved right after giving birth to your daughter? Yowza. Paradise is Toni's attempt at writing a bible. I've read it five times now, but it took me till read 3 to figure out what she was doing. I'm still not so sure if I like it much, but there's so much history in it I can't help but revisit it from time to time. It became background reading while I was finishing my book. In any event, she's an acquired taste. But if you acquire it, you realize her unfettered genius.

By the way, Flannery O'Connor wrote "A Good Man is Hard to Find".
    Craig: Gotta say, ya made me feel slightly less dense today re: Paradise. I have picked up that book and put it down more times than I care to admit. I absolutely love Beloved, and Song of Solomon is one of my all time favorite books- just pure, beautiful poetry. So, Toni Morrison has for a long time been one of my very favorite authors....which made me feel all the more confused as I just have not been able to get through Paradise. Well, at least it's not just me.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Gotta also put in my votes for The Executioner's Song (also made into a superb TV film with a chilling Tommie Lee Jones) and In Cold Blood- which gets my vote for "HE wrote that?!?!" And then again, Other Voices, Other Rooms and The Grass Harp are also amazing. Truly a great writer, and WHAT a chameleon.

One of my all-time favorites will always be The Color Purple- the descriptions of sexuality between Shug and Celie were so much how I have always wanted to and do feel about love. I also love Joyce Carol Oates' Because It Is Bitter, and Because It is My Heart. I also love most of Dickens. When I need a great laugh, I turn to Nora Ephron.

Gotta give some more shout-outs to LGBT literature (Giovanni's Room is indeed incredible.) Of course, I will always love Maupin's Tales of the City books. Edmund White's Nocturnes For the King of Naples. Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle. Andrew Holleran's Dancer From the Dance. Larry Kramer's Faggots. Ethan Mordden's Buddies. And, yes, I absolutely love, love Patricia Nell Warner's The Front Runner. I'm sure that there's more....

Gotta add Kite Runner and Unbearable to my list. Truth is, with so much work stress these days, I have gotten book-lazy, and just read way too much crap.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    For those who like Fantasy and Sci Fi I love love love the late Marion Zimmer Bradley. Her "Darkover" series is a mix of high tech sci fi, fantasy, and social commentary.
    Her master work IMO is "The Mists of Avalon". Once I read that I couldn't deal with any other working of the Arthurian legend.
    Was this made into a film with Angelica Huston, Joan Allen, and Julianna Margulies? If not then I watched a film that went by a similar title. It was really good for a TV movie.

jj
    Blue Steel

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Speaking of SciFi with social commentary/satire I love Douglas Adams (of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame). He's just absolutely brilliant.

In that genre, sort of, Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan was also wonderful.

One of my good friends loves Terry Pratchett, and I read one of his novels, and found it very imaginative but sort of boring to read.

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    Craig: Gotta say, ya made me feel slightly less dense today re: Paradise. I have picked up that book and put it down more times than I care to admit. I absolutely love Beloved, and Song of Solomon is one of my all time favorite books- just pure, beautiful poetry. So, Toni Morrison has for a long time been one of my very favorite authors....which made me feel all the more confused as I just have not been able to get through Paradise. Well, at least it's not just me.
    The biggest thing with Paradise is that she writes the plot backwards. When I finally got that narrative device, it made much more sense. I love the characters in the novel, not the least of which is Ruby, the town were it's primarily set.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    Gotta also put in my votes for The Executioner's Song (also made into a superb TV film with a chilling Tommie Lee Jones) and In Cold Blood- which gets my vote for "HE wrote that?!?!" And then again, Other Voices, Other Rooms and The Grass Harp are also amazing. Truly a great writer, and WHAT a chameleon.

One of my all-time favorites will always be The Color Purple- the descriptions of sexuality between Shug and Celie were so much how I have always wanted to and do feel about love. I also love Joyce Carol Oates' Because It Is Bitter, and Because It is My Heart. I also love most of Dickens. When I need a great laugh, I turn to Nora Ephron.
    Nelslus:

It's been suggested on more than one occasion that the actual writer of "In Cold Blood" was not Truman, but Harper Lee.

If you're a fan of "Purple", I hope you have also read "The Temple Of My Familiar" and "Possessing The Secret Of Joy". When Alice Walker puts her heart in it, she is one of our greatest living writers of fiction. And I'd call "Possessing" "Purple's" equal in terms of fantastic reading material.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Nelslus:

It's been suggested on more than one occasion that the actual writer of "In Cold Blood" was not Truman, but Harper Lee.

If you're a fan of "Purple", I hope you have also read "The Temple Of My Familiar" and "Possessing The Secret Of Joy". When Alice Walker puts her heart in it, she is one of our greatest living writers of fiction. And I'd call "Possessing" "Purple's" equal in terms of fantastic reading material.
    I've heard that theory too. But neither of the Capote movies from last year, which seemed pretty researched and not that flattering to him suggested that.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Speaking of SciFi with social commentary/satire I love Douglas Adams (of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame). He's just absolutely brilliant.

In that genre, sort of, Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan was also wonderful.

One of my good friends loves Terry Pratchett, and I read one of his novels, and found it very imaginative but sort of boring to read.
    I love Douglas Adams too mmmm8.

And when I was in college I read loads of Terry Pratchett, but have to admit kind of got sick of them. But I have a good friend who loves him too.

Am going to start In Cold Blood this weekend.

Nelslus:

Say what? I have never heard this theory. Were Capote and Lee even close friends?

Christopher Marlowe (Louche's friend) is the real "Shakespeare," anyone?

jj
    Blue Steel

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567132853 ... LastLast