Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 123456122752 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: The Book Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I liked East of Eden, but everything else of Steinbeck's I can't deal with. The Pearl was pure torture and it wasn't even long
    Travels With Charley was a horrible experience when I had to read it in high school. It was sheer hell when I had to re-read it in college.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxykhat View Post
    I'm presently reading and really should have finished this ages ago but I've been extremely busy and have not has as much time as I would love to read but I recommend "Fumbling Toward Divinity (The Adoption Scriptures)" by our very own Craig Hickman.

Foxy
    You're too kind, Foxy.

I can't get through Steinbeck.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

gotta admit...I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm not the only one who finds Steinbeck tedious.

I've only read Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men.

I really liked them both.

And it does seem that morct and I have very similar taste in literature.

jj
    Blue Steel

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

since I brought up Chabon, I'll take a moment to share what one critic has to say about him when reviewing his newest novel - "The Yiddish Policemans Union" which is being released next week....it's my personal "Must Read of The Year"

The Yiddish Policemen’s Union” is an admirably ambitious, and beautiful, work of literature.Chabon is an avatar of straightforward, old-fashioned, pulpy plotting, so it may pain him to read this, but he has become a novelist of ideas and language, a writer for whom plot is a mere necessity. Part of him wants to be John Irving, and that would be grand enough, but what we have here is a writer who could soon be as great as Bernard Malamud, Saul Bellow, Milan Kundera. He’s not in their league yet, but if he keeps writing books this good, he’ll be called up any day.

http://www.forward.com/articles/jewish-noir/

(Kundera wrote another one of my favorite novels, "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being".)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    since I brought up Chabon, I'll take a moment to share what one critic has to say about him when reviewing his newest novel - "The Yiddish Policemans Union" which is being released next week....it's my personal "Must Read of The Year"

The Yiddish Policemen’s Union” is an admirably ambitious, and beautiful, work of literature.Chabon is an avatar of straightforward, old-fashioned, pulpy plotting, so it may pain him to read this, but he has become a novelist of ideas and language, a writer for whom plot is a mere necessity. Part of him wants to be John Irving, and that would be grand enough, but what we have here is a writer who could soon be as great as Bernard Malamud, Saul Bellow, Milan Kundera. He’s not in their league yet, but if he keeps writing books this good, he’ll be called up any day.

http://www.forward.com/articles/jewish-noir/

(Kundera wrote another one of my favorite novels, "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being".)
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being is a masterwork. The film isn't bad either.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    The Unbearable Lightness of Being is a masterwork. The film isn't bad either.
    Daniel Day Lewis could be shot ironing and the film wouldn't be bad, Craig!

But yes, the novel ULofB is nothing short of classic.

Daniel Day Lewis could be shot ironing and the film wouldn't be bad, Craig!

But yes, the novel ULofB is nothing short of classic.
    I don't know that he's looked better in another film.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I don't know that he's looked better in another film.
    My Beautiful Laundrette is a close second.

My Beautiful Laundrette is a close second.
    Yeah. But I don't think he looked great in Laundrette. He was sexy as hell, though.

I think we just hijacked this thread.

So how about that Norman Mailer?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry to interrupt... They're not "books" per se... But I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there who's a big fan of the short stories of Eudora Welty or Flannery O'Connor... I became addicted to their work as part of mandatory reading in college, but into young adulthood, I had run out of new material to read. But that was a long time ago.

Dry

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Sorry to interrupt... They're not "books" per se... But I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there who's a big fan of the short stories of Eudora Welty or Flannery O'Connor... I became addicted to their work as part of mandatory reading in college, but into young adulthood, I had run out of new material to read. But that was a long time ago.

Dry
    Fan of both. A Good Man is Hard to Find works on so many levels.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fan of both. A Good Man is Hard to Find works on so many levels.
    My all-time favorite in the short story genre, craig...

My second favorite would be the short story by Eudora Welty where the old Black woman is trapsing through the woods looking for medicine for a sick boy... Pheonix something? Damned if I can remember.

Dry

"A Worn Path." The sick boy is Phoenix Jackson's grandchild.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Yeah. But I don't think he looked great in Laundrette. He was sexy as hell, though.

I think we just hijacked this thread.

So how about that Norman Mailer?
    I missed two consecutive days of college because I got so wrapped up in "The Executioner's Song", I could not put it down. Chilling stuff that left a huge impact on me.

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 123456122752 ... LastLast