Agree Agree:  30
Likes Likes:  59
Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4090115130136137138139140
Results 2,086 to 2,099 of 2099

Thread: The MLB Thread

Re: The MLB Thread

Jimmy Cole
    @JimmyRandazzo
    OH MY GOD THERE’S THE BUZZER!!! JOSE ALTUVE IS A CHEATER. STRIP THE HOUSTON ASTROS OF THEIR TITLE IMMEDIATELY
    @MLB

I'm not sure the picture is clear enough to say for certain there's a "buzzer" there. I do see what looks like a gold medallion and there is something in front of it.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

"You just told me you were ready for that 2 1 pitch"

Can't make this stuff up

Disgraceful

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Starting 9
    @Starting9

Clayton Kershaw in the 2017 World Series:

At Dodger Stadium:
    11IP, 1ER, 3BBs, 15Ks, 0.82 ERA

At Minute Maid Park:
    4.2IP, 6ER, 3BB 2Ks, 6.50 ERA

More stats

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

From the Houston Chronicle:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...s-14983487.php

It’s not the cheating that matters. The Astros scandal cuts deeper than that.
    By Cort McMurray Jan. 17, 2020 Updated: Jan. 17, 2020 1:29 p.m.

It’s not the cheating that matters. For as long as there’s been baseball, ballplayers have stolen signs, doctored balls, and cut corners, anything to give them a little edge over the other guys. It’s tattooed into the game. In 1948, Cleveland Indians owner Bill Veeck gave a Tribe employee a pair of binoculars and an Army surplus walkie-talkie, and stationed him inside the Municipal Stadium centerfield scoreboard, where he picked up the opposing teams’ pitching signs and radioed them to the Cleveland dugout. Eight years earlier, the Detroit Tigers used a slightly less sophisticated system, employing the scope from a hunting rifle and a series of hand gestures in their chicanery. The 1948 Indians won the World Series. Today, Bill Veeck is beloved as an innovator, a master showman, and a lovable scamp. The 1940 Tigers also won the Series, and no less an authority than star first baseman Hank Greenberg, a Hall of Famer, credits cheating. In 1989’s Hank Greenberg: The Story of My Life, the slugger tells ghostwriter Ira Berkow, “I think it was picking up those signs that were instrumental in enabling us to win that 1940 pennant … sign stealing is a fascinating aspect of the game.”

Ballplayers cheat. Astros ballplayers cheat. They always have. In the early ‘80s, Astros knuckleballer Joe Niekro was infamously caught on the Astrodome pitcher’s mound with an emery board in his back pocket. Emery boards are used to illegally mar the ball surface, enabling a pitcher to alter pitch trajectories in maddening and unexpected ways. Mike Scott led the 1986 Astros to a National League West title with equal parts skill, scuffing, and judicious dollops of KY-Jelly, the 1980s ball-doctoring foreign substance of choice. Billy Hatcher, one of the heroes of that ’86 club, earned a 10-game suspension in 1987, when his bat cracked during a game against the Cubs, revealing that the barrel had been illegally hollowed out and filled with cork. Several former Astros have been accused of using steroids and other performance-enhancing illegal substances.

It’s not the cheating. This latest disaster, this new heartbreak, goes far deeper than that. Yes, the Astros stole signs, like the ’48 Indians and the ’40 Tigers and probably every other club that’s ever won a championship in baseball history. The Astros cheating was institutionalized. It was organized, and cynical and, as far as anybody can tell, countenanced at the highest levels of the organization. This wasn’t a guy with binoculars and a walkie-talkie. This was sophisticated surveillance equipment, camera and wires and monitors and transmitters installed in a massive, massively expensive stadium. Lots of people were involved. Lots of people knew about it. This is Lance Armstrong level conspiracy, with Armstrong-like dissembling to cover it. What the 2017 Astros “stolen Series” reminds us is that we can’t trust anybody, least of all our sports heroes.

The Astros were Houston’s post-Harvey rainbow, a sign from the Baseball Gods that after the despair of having half of the city underwater, there was a reason to hope, a reason to keep going. The ‘Stros were our guys. They were Houstonians, in the very best sense, young and strong and confident, the embodiment of the diversity that Houstonians constantly brag about. Yuli Gurriel is a Cuban immigrant. Jose Altuve comes from Venezuela. Alex Bregman is a white kid who played his college ball at LSU, and who taught himself Spanish so that he could help his Latino teammates feel welcome. George Springer hits the Houstonian Diversity Trifecta: His mom is Puerto Rican, his dad is Panamanian, of African heritage, and he grew up in Connecticut. They’d already attracted our attention before Harvey. After Harvey, they held us together. And when they won the Series, we stood among our piles of waterlogged carpeting and sodden sheetrock and we screamed and we cried and we felt a whole lot better about what had been a really rotten year. All of that is gone now. The whole thing was a lie. And those 2017 memories seem as rotten and reeking as those mountains of flood-ruined belongings we hauled out of our homes.

Everything feels dirty. Astros owner Jim Crane’s press conference, announcing the firings of manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow, seemed disingenuous and contrived. There was a Nixonian “mistakes were made” vibe, and the firings, while deserved, felt a little phony, a tattered fig leaf vainly covering the entire club’s shame. Even in Crane’s firing of Luhnow and Hinch there was no suggestion that they masterminded this conspiracy. The players were behind it, and some video tech guys, and maybe a coach or two. But the World Series victory isn’t tainted, not at all. Everybody in the dugout (except Hinch, of course) was in on the cheat, but by golly, we earned that title!

Lives and reputations are ruined. In 2017, Carlos Beltran was the beloved graybeard of the Astros roster, a future Hall of Famer whose decades of experience were an inspiration to a very young ballclub. In postgame interviews, he took on the appearance of one of those Olmec stone heads, looking both impossibly intimidating and endlessly wise. It turns out that Beltran was one of the chief architects of the cheat. He will go to his grave not as one of the greatest players of his generation, but as the guy who helped the Astros steal a title. Luhnow and Hinch may never again work in organized baseball. Guys like Yuli, Bregman, and Springer will be dogged by doubts for the rest of their careers.

It’s already started with Jose Altuve. Long before 2017, Altuve was on his way to being the greatest second baseman in Astros history. His batting numbers for the first six years of his career dwarf the numbers put up by Craig Biggio, who ended up in the Hall of Fame. Altuve was a legend, long before the “Stros started stealing signs.

This morning on The Dan Patrick Show, a listener from Los Angeles called in to complain about the Astros. He mentioned, “What’s-his-name, that little guy who plays second base,” and said, “I guess now we know he’s just a cheater.” Jose Altuve doesn’t need stolen signs to be a great hitter, but for many fans, Altuve is “just a cheater.” The greatest moment in Houston sporting history, the greatest team in Astros history, is as ruined as a flood-ravaged house. We will never trust those memories, never feel completely comfortable with those memories, ever again.

On Dec. 5, 1985, I asked a Houston girl to marry me. Improbably, she agreed. On Dec. 6, I walked into a sporting goods store at the University Mall in Orem, Utah, and bought my first Astros ballcap. “From now on, I’m an Astros fan,” I told my roommates. For 34 years I have loved this club and hated this club and rooted for this club and been driven half out of my mind by this club. I’ve felt let down by the ‘Stros, but never betrayed by them.

Until now. And feeling that betrayal, I don’t know that I can ever be an Astros fan again.

McMurray is a Houston businessman and a frequent contributor to Gray Matters.

That's a hell of an opinion piece. Thannks for posting it shtexas.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

― Frank Zappa

Blockbuster. Red Sox being cheap? Can't think of another reason to ever think of trading Betts at this point in his career. Skip to the final one if you don't care about the details and just want to know where the players will land.

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan

BREAKING: The Los Angeles Dodgers have agreed to a deal with the Boston Red Sox that would send star outfielder Mookie Betts and starter David Price to the Dodgers, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN. Deal is pending medical reviews.
    Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan

There could be a third team involved in the deal, as @Ken_Rosenthal reported. Significant cash will be going the way of wherever David Price lands. But the main player, Mookie Betts, will be a Dodger should medicals go as expected.
    Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan

Starter Kenta Maeda would go to the Minnesota Twins part of the Mookie Betts-David Price deal, sources tell ESPN. Outfielder Alex Verdugo and hard-throwing pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol, who has been with Minnesota, would go to the Red Sox, as @Ken_Rosenthal said.
    Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan

Infielder Luis Rengifo is headed to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a deal for outfielder Joc Pederson, sources tell ESPN.

New ESPN MLB Insider with a summary:

Kiley McDaniel
    @kileymcd

Sources tell me the deal is:

LAD gets: Mookie Betts, David Price, cash from BOS
    MIN gets: Kenya Maeda
    BOS gets: Alex Verdugo, Brusdar Graterol

Separately, LAD trades Joc Pederson to LAA for Luis Rengifo

Apology press tour fail. Astros felt the need to make sure people hated them more than they already do. Altuve, Bregman, owner Jim Crane. Altuve and Bregman spoke for less than 90 seconds combined. Everyone seems to be in agreement that Dusty Baker, who has been with the team for 2 weeks, was the most sincere and remorseful person at the press conference.

CBS Sports
    @CBSSports

"Our opinion is that this didn't impact the game." - Jim Crane

"I didn't say it didn't impact the game." - Jim Crane 55 seconds later
    Video of this at the link - https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status...70396793774082

And there's this as well.

Jared Carrabis
    @Jared_Carrabis

Jose Altuve made himself available in the clubhouse after the press conference. He was asked about the buzzers and immediately referred to the league’s investigation not finding anything instead of flat out saying they didn’t exist. The Astros used buzzers. No doubt in my mind.

ProFootballTalk
    @ProFootballTalk

If MLB wants to have any credibility whatsoever it needs to take away Houston’s World Series win. With that said, I will gladly stick to football.

― Frank Zappa

Correa and Springer have taken some responsibility. But someone helpfully pointed out that it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. You hope it's sincere, but they are going to be a hard sell on the open market and their agents had to tell them that. Other teams' players and fans will likely not be quick to embrace without either punishment or true contrition. Even if they stay with the Astros, if other teams don't want them, their market value is considerably less.

Jared Carrabis
    @Jared_Carrabis

Carlos Correa called the report that the younger players felt helpless to stop Carlos Beltran in 2017 “bullshit”. Took responsibility for what happened and that other players should, too.

Chloe
    @chloeg_13

Carlos Correa is a free agent after the 2021 season.
    George Springer is a free agent after 2020.
    Jose Altuve is under contract until 2025.
    Alex Bregman is under contract until 2024.

guess which Astros are the most remorseful.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Waiting for fan reaction when the Astros show up at visiting ballparks. They do not come to our new ballpark until April 10th.

I'll assume we'll see this in ballparks all year long. Manfred might want to do something about this, it is not going away.

Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4090115130136137138139140