Page 99 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4974899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1773

Thread: The MLB Thread

Director of Media Relations Ti-Amie's Avatar

Re: The MLB Thread

A Guide To The Medical, Semantic Mess Of Ryan Braun’s PED Case

We told you on Saturday night about Milwaukee Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun, the reigning National League MVP, and his failed drug test.

Then a whole bunch of stuff got written on Sunday and turned a fairly straightforward PED leak into a baffling mess. (Jay Jaffe at Baseball Prospectus has the best run-down of all the coverage.) The various reports don't jibe with one another or with MLB's banned substances list.
    First, let's go back and look at what ESPN originally reported. Braun, wrote Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn, "has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug." And then:

To affirm the results and strengthen its case, MLB asked the World Anti-Doping Agency lab in Montreal, which conducts its testing, to perform a secondary test to determine whether the testosterone spike resulted from natural variations within Braun's body or from an artificial source. The test indicated the testosterone was exogenous, meaning it came from outside his body.

ESPN doesn't explicitly name the substance. ESPN tells us only about a testosterone spike that, in subsequent testing, was determined to be synthetic. From that, it's probably safe to intuit that the substance in question is testosterone (which is banned by baseball).

Now here's the New York Daily News, reporting that Braun's testosterone levels in his initial test were "insanely high."

Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun's original test for performance-enhancing drugs as the playoffs were winding down in October was "insanely high, the highest ever for anyone who has ever taken a test, twice the level of the highest test ever taken."

[...]

According to the source, there are also chain-of-custody issues involving the test, which was first performed by Major League Baseball during the playoffs, then sent to the WADA lab. A positive test in MLB is triggered by an elevated level of testosterone to epitestosterone; the trigger point is a 4-1 ratio.

"The argument before the appeals board won't be that the original ratio was so high and doesn't make sense," said the source, "but there will be a defense. It's not something he knew or should have known about."

In fact, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and Ken Rosenthal both report that Braun had tested positive for a prohibited substance, but not a performance-enhancing drug. Here's the Journal-Sentinel:

A very good source on the Ryan Braun side of the drug testing controversy assures me that Braun did not test positive for a performance-enhancing drug, as reported by ESPN's "Outside the Lines."

[...]

But my source—and again, this is from Braun's end and not MLB—familiar with the test's findings says the "prohibited substance" was not a performance-enhancing drug or steroid of any kind. And the source says there has "never" been a result like this in the history of the MLB testing program.

Did you follow any of that? ESPN says Braun tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug, but Braun denies that. Braun's people do not deny that he had "insanely high" testosterone levels—his team seems to offer that willingly—nor do they deny that he tested positive for a substance banned by baseball. The Daily News story introduces some new claim about "chain-of-custody" irregularities, but goes on to explain that Braun won't be disputing the insanely high results, only his responsibility for them. So the testing process is challenged, and then it isn't.

What did Braun actually take? Baseball's banned-substance list is split into three categories: performance-enhancing drugs (58 substances in all, among them masking agents that aren't, strictly speaking, performance enhancing), stimulants (30), and drugs of abuse (seven). If we believe Braun's team, which acknowledges that he took a banned substance but denies that it's a PED, that could whittle down the list of possibilities to the latter two categories.

Consider, though, another possibility, one which seems more likely, given all the mentions of testosterone and possible 50-game suspensions: Braun's camp is using "performance-enhancing drug" in the operative sense of the phrase and not in MLB's artful way, which sloppily categorizes masking agents (like the stuff Manny Ramirez took) as PEDs even though they're only indicative of PED use. Look toward the bottom of MLB's list of PEDs. Those are the non-steroids, the drugs that hide the drugs that supposedly enhance athletes' performance:

54. Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1), including all isomers of IGF-1 sometimes referred to as Mechano Growth Factors 6
    55. Gonadotrophins (including LH and hCG)
    56. Aromatase Inhibitors, including Anastrazole, Lestrozole, Aminogluthemide, Exemestane, Formestane, and Testolactone
    57. Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators, including Raloxifene, Tamoxifen and Toremifene
    58. Other Anti-estrogens, including Clomiphene, Cyclophenil, and Fulvestrant

We consulted a physician who prescribes many of these drugs regularly who told us that Braun would have no routine medical reason to take any of these. There's a slim chance Braun suffers from testicular failure, male breast cancer, or prostate cancer, and never mentioned it to MLB. But probably not. More likely, Braun would be taking these drugs for their masking benefits, if indeed one of them was the banned substance for which he tested positive.

All of this is to say that we don't know how Braun's people will argue his innocence, mostly because the messages have been so mixed so far. (If we believe the New York Times, "Ryan doesn't know what caused the positive result," which complicates the Daily News's claim that Braun's people won't dispute the elevated-testosterone finding.) What's clear now is that this case is a hash of medicine and semantics, where no one has enough details, and we're a long way from knowing exactly what Braun took.

http://deadspin.com/5867318/a-guide-...l#viewcomments
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Prince Fielder signs with Detroit. It feels like Christmas morning today to us Tigers' fans!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

State of the back-to-back-to-back-to-back NCAA football champions
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waylandboy-tw View Post
    Prince Fielder signs with Detroit. It feels like Christmas morning today to us Tigers' fans!
    Know Martinez will miss 2012. Will Cabrera play 3rd and Tigers let Inge go?
    Serena Williams : 2013 French Open and United States Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Know Martinez will miss 2012. Will Cabrera play 3rd and Tigers let Inge go?
    I don't think they'll let Inge go prior to the season but his playing time could be reduced significantly in the final year of his contract. With VMart most likely out for 2012 with the torn ACL, it would seem the DH spot could be rotated between Miguel Cabrera, Delmon Young, and even Fielder. Inge still provides good range at 3B but might be used more as a late game replacement to help defend leads rather than as an everyday starter. They still have Don Kelly though who Jim Leyland also likes to play at 3B and is younger than Inge so it is possible as the season progresses that Inge could be expendable. Assuming VMart comes back healthy in 2013, I could then see the Tigers using Cabrera as their primary 3B so they can have a lineup with Fielder at 1B and VMart as the everyday DH. There are some though that think Cabrera could end up playing some LF as he did at times with the Marlins.

Either way this should be a fun problem for Jim Leyland!
    Last edited by waylandboy-tw; 01-24-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Very sad....

Josh Hamilton: Alcohol relapse a "weak moment"
    February 3, 2012 2:28 PM

(AP) ARLINGTON, Texas. - Texas Rangers outfielder and recovering drug addict Josh Hamilton said Friday that he had a relapse and had "three or four" drinks earlier this week at a Dallas-area bar, calling it a "weak moment" that he will take specific steps to make sure doesn't happen again.

The 30-year-old player was suspended for more than three years for drug and alcohol use while in the Tampa Bay organization. He missed the entire 2004 and 2005 seasons, but has become one of the best players in baseball on a team that has won the last two American League pennants. He was the AL MVP in 2010.

Hamilton said he has not taken any drugs and had been tested twice since Monday, part of his normal routine. He said he expects to meet with Major League Baseball doctors in New York soon.

It is Hamilton's second known alcohol-related relapse in three years. In January 2009, he drank to excess in a bar in Tempe, Ariz. Before that, Hamilton said he hadn't taken a drink of alcohol since Oct. 6, 2005.

In a tweet on her account, Hamilton's wife, Katie, wrote: "Truly appreciate all the encouraging & supportive tweets we've been getting. God is Faithful and forgives- so thankful that you all are."

Hamilton said his life "in general is based on making the right choices, everything as far as my recovery, as far as my baseball goes, it's all based around my relationship with the Lord."

"You all know how hard I work on the field, I give it everything I have," said Hamilton, clearly struggling to keep his emotions in check. "When I don't do that off the field, I leave myself open for a weak moment. I had a weak moment on Monday night."

Hamilton said he "ended up ordering a drink ... probably had three or four drinks, ended up calling (teammate) Ian Kinsler, to just kind to come out hang out with me. Ian did not know I had been drinking."

When the Rangers acquired him from the Cincinnati Reds in December 2007, they were aware of Hamilton's off-the-field problems and had a zero-tolerance policy regarding his drinking. He is tested for drug use three times a week and has had an accountability partner to support him in his recovery — though that job is now vacant.

More of story: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-...a-weak-moment/
    Me and Flavia Pennetta, we got a thing going on

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

It is. He will always be fighting this. I wish him the best.

By the way, that bar (I consider it just as much a restaurant) is right around the corner from me. Used to be a Friday's.

I was saddened when I heard he had suffered another relapse but was glad that he didn't use junkie/addict logic to explain his actions.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

The FOIA is not just for politics. Long, interesting read.

FBI Docs: How George Steinbrenner Helped Kill Off Baseball’s Last Real Commissioner

On July 30, 1990, MLB commissioner Fay Vincent "banned" George Steinbrenner from baseball and brought a close to one of the more sordid chapters in the sport's history. Steinbrenner had paid $40,000 to Howie Spira, a Bronx gambler with mafia ties, for dirt on Yankees outfielder Dave Winfield, with whom Steinbrenner had long feuded in and out of court. (You can read about the seamy episode here.) Vincent determined that Steinbrenner's behavior ran against "the best interests of Baseball," not to mention a few tenets of human decency:

[I]t did not occur to [Steinbrenner] during this sorry period that what he was doing could run afoul of the rules of Baseball. In essence, he heard no internal warning because none went off. … I must be mindful of the importance of focusing Mr. Steinbrenner on his obligations to be more sensitive to the best interests of Baseball….
    That's what Vincent wrote in his decision, a copy of which is attached to the bottom of this post, along with some other rarely seen documents concerning Steinbrenner's ouster from baseball. The irony of the case is that Steinbrenner was never more right than when he was defending himself at his worst—at least as regards his appraisal of the "best interests" clause, a roseate term etched in the MLB constitution that has provoked much brow-furrowing over the last century. Commissioners use the clause to unilaterally impose their will on owners or players. It's the sports equivalent of, say, Article 48 in the Weimar Republic. Absolute Executive Control.

A totalitarian like Steinbrenner would have gleefully battered people with that kind of power, which is why it's so entertaining to find him railing against Vincent's application of the clause in the Spira case. But there's a meta-irony on top of the mini-irony: In protesting the Spira decision so vociferously, Steinbrenner helped force Vincent out as commissioner and install a replacement who, in 20 years, has almost never used the "best interests" clause within baseball because he's almost never stood in any real opposition to owners. What vestiges of independent authority remained in the commissioner's office got boxed up with Vincent's three-hole punch as he exited the building.

As detailed in a series created from FBI documents we received from a FOIA request, Steinbrenner operated according to his own "best interests" clause, one that held little regard for others. Most of our documents deal with an internal FBI investigation into Steinbrenner's "improper association" with the bureau's Tampa office, with which Steinbrenner cultivated a tight relationship in the '80s. He lavished gifts and favors and, occasionally, jobs on agents. They, in turn, would be asked to perform certain tasks for Steinbrenner—like fix his overflowing toilet in the middle of the night or run a possibly illegal background check on a giant redneck who terrorized Steinbrenner with jet skis.

The documents at the bottom of this post are different. They strike at the heart of what it means to rule baseball. Who controls the sport? And what exactly do the "best interests of Baseball" signify?
    http://deadspin.com/5883511/fbi-docs...m_medium=email

Several Chicago Cubs players spoke Friday in support of the man who collected Ryan Braun's urine sample, despite the fact his handling of the sample led to Braun's 50-game suspension being overturned by an arbitrator.

The legal team for the Milwaukee Brewers outfielder and NL MVP argued in a grievance hearing that the sample collector, Dino Laurenzi Jr., did not follow the procedures specified in baseball's drug agreement, which states the urine sample should be taken to a FedEx office on the day it is collected "absent unusual circumstances."

Arbitrator Shyam Das last week overturned Braun's positive test, freeing Braun of his suspension.

Laurenzi Jr. also is assigned by Major League Baseball to collect samples from the Cubs.

"Who knows what was going on with (Braun's) situation, but for the most part the drug tester that we worked with ... we all know him as well, and he handles his business pretty professionally. And I think that everyone in this clubhouse would agree with me," Cubs outfielder Reed Johnson said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000.

Cubs infielder Jeff Baker told the Chicago Sun-Times that he has had no problems with Laurenzi.

"Just from knowing Dino the three years I've been here, he's been nothing but professional," Baker told the paper. "He's been very, very thorough. I have no concerns and no qualms.'"

Laurenzi issued a statement Tuesday defending his actions, saying he never tampered with Braun's sample. Laurenzi collected it from Braun on Oct. 1, a Saturday, and said he placed it in a Rubbermaid container in his basement office because "there was no FedEx office located within 50 miles of Miller Park that would ship packages that day or Sunday." Laurenzi took it to FedEx on Monday.

"The process to me is something a lot of the guys in the clubhouse really trust," Johnson said. "Obviously, you don't want your sample going to somebody's house and sitting around for a couple of days, but you know that that process of them taking your sample and sealing it inside a case, stickers over it and that's inside a bag, stickers over that and that's inside a sealed box, stickers over that.

"When you see the process and the detail that goes into that type of drug testing, you really do feel safe that nothing is going to happen."

Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano said he would not be worried about his sample regardless of who is collecting it.

"I'm not worried that it's the same guy," Soriano told the Sun-Times. "'I'm not worried because I know what I take. It doesn't matter who takes the sample. If you don't take nothing, he can take [the specimen] home for a week and nothing will come out."

Braun's attorney, David Cornwell, issued a statement on Thursday criticizing Laurenzi.

"Ryan Braun presented a winning defense in the forum that counted. The landmark decision in Ryan's favor was based on the evidence and the plain meaning of the words in baseball's joint drug program," Cornwell said in the statement. "The collector's attempt to re-litigate his conduct is inappropriate, and his efforts will only be persuasive to those who do not understand the evidence or the rules.

"Ryan Braun was properly vindicated. Both Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association should be applauded because their joint program worked."

Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president for labor relations, said last week the league "vehemently disagrees with the decision" and called the collector "extremely experienced," adding he "acted in a professional and appropriate manner."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...raun-collector

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

'Richest man in L.A.' joins Dodgers bid group

Hedge-fund billionaire Steven Cohen has strengthened his group’s position as a bidder for the Los Angeles Dodgers by adding Patrick Soon-Shiong, the richest man in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times reported.

According to the newspaper, the alliance is “the strongest indication yet of Cohen's intention to present outgoing owner Frank McCourt with a final bid that reflects prominent local support rather than just overwhelming East Coast money.”

Soon-Shiong, 59, is a doctor, biotech investor and philanthropist. Forbes estimates his net worth at $7.2 billion and Cohen's at $8.3 billion.

The addition of Soon-Shiong to Cohen’s group came as a surprise, since Soon-Shiong had been widely expected to join the bid group led by Magic Johnson, from whom he bought a minority share in the Lakers, the Times reported.

Cohen and Johnson lead two of the four bid groups whose structure and financing have been approved by Major League Baseball.

According to the Times’ report, all 30 major league owners will vote on all remaining bidders late this week. McCourt then can conduct final negotiations with approved bidders, with the goal of selecting a winner by April 1.

McCourt has agreed to close the sale of the team by April 30, the day he must pay his ex-wife $131 million as part of a divorce settlement.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...#ixzz1pb8e3hbf

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

McCourt has agreed to close the sale of the team by April 30, the day he must pay his ex-wife $131 million as part of a divorce settlement.
    It must suck to be filthy rich.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I wouldn't be happy if someone gave out my cell number on twitter either.
    __________________________________________________ ___

Mike Napoli: 'It's not a prank'
    Updated: March 19, 2012, 3:49 PM ET
    By Master Tesfatsion | Special Contributor / ESPNDallas.com

Texas Rangers catcher Mike Napoli didn't find what was supposed to be a joke by former teammate C.J. Wilson, tweeting his cell phone number over the weekend, to be all that funny.

Now with the Los Angeles Angels, Wilson tweeted Napoli's number to more than 116,000 of his followers this weekend. The tweet has since been deleted, but Wilson's timeline is filled with mentions of the incident, and he reportedly received a number of calls and texts.

The two were only teammates last season after Napoli came over from the Angels. Wilson became a free agent this offseason and signed a five-year, $77.5 million contract with the Angels. Napoli then said that he was looking forward to hitting home runs off the left-hander, prompting Wilson's prank.

After posting the number, Wilson later tweeted: "Okay I think we've all had a good time, I'm even with mike for saying he can't wait to hit homers off me."

Napoli said he can't do anything about what Wilson did, nor will he retaliate.

"I don't know what he's doing or what his meaning was behind it," Napoli said Monday. "He really doesn't know me that well to kind of do that. I haven't talked to him in a while."

If Wilson was upset, Napoli said the Angels pitcher should've just called him rather than getting back at him via social media.

"If I have a problem with somebody, I'm going to call them," Napoli told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I just think it was uncalled for. ...

"You don't do that. I am not taking it as a prank."

Master Tesfatsion covers the Rangers for ESPNDallas.com.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...cher-cj-wilson

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Rawoar!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I wouldn't be happy if someone gave out my cell number on twitter either.
    __________________________________________________ ___

Mike Napoli: 'It's not a prank'
    Updated: March 19, 2012, 3:49 PM ET
    By Master Tesfatsion | Special Contributor / ESPNDallas.com

Texas Rangers catcher Mike Napoli didn't find what was supposed to be a joke by former teammate C.J. Wilson, tweeting his cell phone number over the weekend, to be all that funny.

Now with the Los Angeles Angels, Wilson tweeted Napoli's number to more than 116,000 of his followers this weekend. The tweet has since been deleted, but Wilson's timeline is filled with mentions of the incident, and he reportedly received a number of calls and texts.

The two were only teammates last season after Napoli came over from the Angels. Wilson became a free agent this offseason and signed a five-year, $77.5 million contract with the Angels. Napoli then said that he was looking forward to hitting home runs off the left-hander, prompting Wilson's prank.

After posting the number, Wilson later tweeted: "Okay I think we've all had a good time, I'm even with mike for saying he can't wait to hit homers off me."

Napoli said he can't do anything about what Wilson did, nor will he retaliate.

"I don't know what he's doing or what his meaning was behind it," Napoli said Monday. "He really doesn't know me that well to kind of do that. I haven't talked to him in a while."

If Wilson was upset, Napoli said the Angels pitcher should've just called him rather than getting back at him via social media.

"If I have a problem with somebody, I'm going to call them," Napoli told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I just think it was uncalled for. ...

"You don't do that. I am not taking it as a prank."

Master Tesfatsion covers the Rangers for ESPNDallas.com.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...cher-cj-wilson
    Yikers! Yeah, that's not funny at all. I assume Napoli will have to change his number.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Chipper Jones has announced this coming season will be his last.

Page 99 of 119 FirstFirst ... 4974899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast