Agree Agree:  21
Likes Likes:  50
Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst 123456789153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: The MLB Thread

Re: The MLB Thread

Congratulations to Barry Bonds on his achievement. It's like one fan said the other day after he tied the record -
    if you think he's done wrong you want to boo him but then look at the accomplishment. You have to applaud him.(broadly paraphrasing)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm glad he finally got it, because I just want the whole thing to go away. Personally, I'm sick of the amount of coverage that has gone into this moment from every direction.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Texas Rangers became the first team in 110 years (!) to score 30 runs in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Texas Rangers became the first team in 110 years (!) to score 30 runs in a game.
    Too bad they weren't playing the Yankees!
    The Adventures of Pete and Pete: Mom

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Too bad they weren't playing the Yankees!
    Hater.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

here we are, coming to the end of the regular season in about 10 days. And the Phillies are still in contention (though the general concensus around here is that it will end exactly the way it has ended the past few years, with the Phillies blowing it going into the final weekend).

They were down 6-2 to the Nationals for most of the game tonight....then had a huge inning to tie it, and a smart go round in the 8th to go up a run. Gotta win to stay in the race.

Love baseball at this time of year, when there is serious post-season implications with every day that goes by. Still a lot of things that can happen in both the NL and AL (can't believe that the Yankees are making a serious run at the Red Sox).

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The Red Sox as usual are ruining my life, my sleep patterns, and my relationship. Just your average year as a fan who watches or listens to evry game but about 4 per year. I want to have a screaming fit daily now............

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tennisbrp View Post
    The Red Sox as usual are ruining my life, my sleep patterns, and my relationship. Just your average year as a fan who watches or listens to evry game but about 4 per year. I want to have a screaming fit daily now............
    I'm still trying to figure out how on earth Terry Francona leaves Philly, where saying he accomplished nothing would be generous, only to go to Boston and win a World Series.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2 weeks ago (Sept 12th), the Phillies were 7 games out of 1st place in the NL East.

After tonight, we're now tied with the Mets for 1st place. We're on a surge, and the Mets are in a slump. It's the final three games of the regular season, and the Phillies are right there in the hunt.

I love this.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

it was so much fun having the NL East come down to the final game of the season. And even better, its the Phillies who have the big day when the big day is necessary. Just a genuine blast to get back to the baseball playoffs for the first time since 1993. And the opponent remains unknown, as there will be a play in game tomorrow between the Padres and Rockies.

and your 2007 NL MVP - Jimmy Rollins. Today sealed the deal.

I thought that I'd be the one mourning my team not making the playoffs. Never in a million years did I think the Mets would blow the lead they held all year.

Not a fan so I don't know what happened there.

I have a good friend who is a Phillie's fan too Moose. I'm sure he's happier than that proverbial pig in slop.

I heard this morning that the Yankees have not turned a profit since 2003 and that they're banking on the post season to turn things around.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

if Mr. Jiggy isn't working right now, he just lifted a tall cold one in honor of his Boston Red Sox. Big congrats to he and TennisBRP who is also a fan. That was an outstanding end to Game 2.

Oh A-Rod, don't let the door hit you on the way out. k thxbye

So Pedro Martinez attends cock fights in the Dominican Republic. The Mets organization issued a statement condemning cock fighting and all similar forms of animal fighting. Does this mean he should be run out of town? I remember when they used to have them all the time in East Harlem. Is his argument that it's part of his culture valid? If he's betting on these events does it make it possible he'd get himself in a sticky position with those he owes money to?

http://gothamist.com/2008/02/08/pedro_mets_spea.php

This is a legit thread so let's not dumpsterize it k?

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    So Pedro Martinez attends cock fights in the Dominican Republic. The Mets organization issued a statement condemning cock fighting and all similar forms of animal fighting. Does this mean he should be run out of town? I remember when they used to have them all the time in East Harlem. Is his argument that it's part of his culture valid? If he's betting on these events does it make it possible he'd get himself in a sticky position with those he owes money to?

http://gothamist.com/2008/02/08/pedro_mets_spea.php

This is a legit thread so let's not dumpsterize it k?
    First, how dumb of Martinez to do this in the wake of the Vick situation. Aren't there other ways to celebrate one's culture? Like cooking a native dish made with chicken?

Second, there was a guy on CNN yesterday talking about this very issue. His argument was that this is a different situation than Vick's because chickens aren't used as household pets. Ahem.

Dry

Page 5 of 136 FirstFirst 123456789153055105 ... LastLast