Agree Agree:  34
Likes Likes:  66
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3459748081828384
Results 1,246 to 1,254 of 1254

Thread: Exhibitions

Re: Exhibitions

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    That's a good example. I'll add how engaged Kyrgios was in cheerleading. That was the work of his PR gurus. Jack's annoying behavior during other players' matches was largely contrived. Grigor looking like he was about to cry at every turn when Europe was down was pure theatrics. It is fairly well established that Grigor cares about one thing and one thing only--Grigor.

But for anyone to suggest that Novak voluntarily went winless is pretty absurd. Even more absurd would be the suggestion that Diego Schwartzman wasn't really trying to win or blew his match point on purpose. (Though that was an awful return.) That's just not Diego's style.

Production values and contrived emotional attachment are part of the entertainment. These types of events need that. But the notion that anything was predetermined is just... nuts. All of the matches played were just like any other match you'd see week in and week out on the tour--or in any major. There was no discernible difference. Everyone was doing their best, everyone was trying to win, and the competition appeared 100% genuine.

Everything outside of the matches themselves, however, is fair game.
    Thanks! Appreciate another perspective. I wasnít dead-set on mine. I might be coming around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Interesting to read the perspectives from those watching/streaming the matches.
    We attended the full event - here are my reflections:

Favorite matches (singles): Goffin v Schwartzman, Djokovic v Anderson
    Favorite matches (doubles): all of them, but especially when Fed was on the Europe team.

1. Nick Kyrgios thrives in a team environment - He is the biggest cheerleader on the team. I felt bad during his match against Fed when he didn't get the same level of support from the rest of the world team to pump up the crowd.
    2. Kevin Anderson got a lot of love due to his Chicago connection from playing for Illinois.
    3. The crowd did their best to cheer for the World team unless Federer was on the court (myself included).
    4. Doubles is the best format to take advantage of Jack Sock's strengths - he can really take advantage of the angles and pace on his forehand when he only has to cover half the court and his net skills are fun to watch (also fun to watch Federer show he can do it just as well).
    5. Kevin Anderson's net skills in doubles are better than I previously gave him credit for.
    6. I have new appreciation for Djokovic's movement on the court and thrilled to have seen him play in person.
    7. Zverev is not amused by Isner's mosey along pace (Isner should get warned for not playing at the server's pace).
    8. Not sure if you could notice him on TV, but the tow-headed ball boy was a riot - most pro-active ball kid I've ever seen and thoroughly enjoying himself out there.
    9. The World team had their chances - Isner had match points on his serve in tie breaks in both his singles matches and Anderson had 1 in his match against Zverev on the final day.

Other random items:
    Hubby & I made it on the Dance Cam (wish it would have been for the Chase seat upgrade instead).
    We were seated directly above Rod Laver (2 sections & about 8 rows above). Saw him while scanning the front rows with binoculars.

Regrets:
    Del Potro pulling out just before the start of the event - really wanted to see him play.

Summary:
    Worth the trip & the cost of tickets.
    If you only wanted to go for one day - do both the day & night session on Saturday - that's when you get the 3 best singles match-ups plus a doubles match.
    Last edited by atlpam; 09-25-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo correction
    My Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    Interesting to read the perspectives from those watching/streaming the matches.
    We attended the full event - here are my reflections:

Favorite matches (singles): Goffin v Schwartzman, Djokovic v Anderson
    Favorite matches (doubles): all of them, but especially when Fed was on the Europe team.

1. Nick Kyrgios thrives in a team environment - He is the biggest cheerleader on the team. I felt bad during his match against Fed when he didn't get the same level of support from the rest of the world team to pump up the crowd.
    2. Kevin Anderson got a lot of love due to his Chicago connection from playing for Illinois.
    3. The crowd did their best to cheer for the World team unless Federer was on the court (myself included).
    4. Doubles is the best format to take advantage of Jack Sock's strengths - he can really take advantage of the angles and pace on his forehand when he only has to cover half the court and his net skills are fun to watch (also fun to watch Federer show he can do it just as well).
    5. Kevin Anderson's net skills in doubles are better than I previously gave him credit for.
    6. I have new appreciate for Djokovic's movement on the court and thrilled to have seen him play in person.
    7. Zverev is not amused by Isner's mosey along pace (Isner should get warned for not playing at the server's pace).
    8. Not sure if you could notice him on TV, but the tow-headed ball boy was a riot - most pro-active ball kid I've ever seen and thoroughly enjoying himself out there.
    9. The World team had their chances - Isner had match points on his serve in tie breaks in both his singles matches and Anderson had 1 in his match against Zverev on the final day.

Other random items:
    Hubby & I made it on the Dance Cam (wish it would have been for the Chase seat upgrade instead).
    We were seated directly above Rod Laver (2 sections & about 8 rows above). Saw him while scanning the front rows with binoculars.

Regrets:
    Del Potro pulling out just before the start of the event - really wanted to see him play.

Summary:
    Worth the trip & the cost of tickets.
    If you only wanted to go for one day - do both the day & night session on Saturday - that's when you get the 3 best singles match-ups plus a doubles match.
    Love this - thanks! Very helpful as I catch up on the matches on Tennis Channel replays.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-25-2018 at 08:48 AM.

We also attended the full event and I agree with everything atlpam said. We sat in Section 212 and met people who had come from really far away, even by themselves. They were hard-core fans and felt like they had found their "tribe." The United Center did an excellent job and CTA added extra buses. It was too hard to use Lyft at the end of the night because they were too busy and also couldn't find us. The #50 bus worked out great. I read that attendance was 93,000 over the 5 sessions, and everyone we met seemed thrilled to be there. I bet for many it was a bucket list kind of thing, although the woman next to us from South Africa and the people in front of us from California are planning to go to Geneva next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    We also attended the full event and I agree with everything atlpam said. We sat in Section 212 and met people who had come from really far away, even by themselves. They were hard-core fans and felt like they had found their "tribe." The United Center did an excellent job and CTA added extra buses. It was too hard to use Lyft at the end of the night because they were too busy and also couldn't find us. The #50 bus worked out great. I read that attendance was 93,000 over the 5 sessions, and everyone we met seemed thrilled to be there. I bet for many it was a bucket list kind of thing, although the woman next to us from South Africa and the people in front of us from California are planning to go to Geneva next year.
    We didnít want to deal with the Uber pick up zones, so we ended up walking about a mile down Madison and then hailing a cab to take us back to the hotel downtown. Lots of people walking that direction and we never felt unsafe. Our seats in section 309 were still much better than the seats we had on Ashe when we went to the US Open. We had locals on one side and a couple from Hawaii on the other. Most everyone around us had seats for all 5 sessions.

I even met a few who went primarily to see Djokovic (he really does have some fans, even in the USA). Lots like myself who wanted to see Federer play before he retires. The only session that seemed to have open seats was the first session on Friday afternoon.
    My Happy Place

We also attended all 5 sessions. It seemed that everyone enjoyed themselves and I have no doubt that teams all played to win. The odds makers favored team Europe by a wide margin. Side line antics were part of the show. The Sock/Kyrios team should play together. The United Center is a great venue and I'd give serious consideration to the event in the future. My only question was where was everyone to go between sessions if it rained? Everyone had to leave during the session break. The Fan Zone was quite crowded and lines were long, except maybe to taste the Grey Poupon mustards! The temporary practice structure was impressive, but it would have been better to let people who waited in long lines a few seconds to snap a still picture.

By the way, I no longer wonder if the matches were scripted in any small way, like Federer damn well better win his singles match. (I never believed they were: I wondered about a few things and didn't fully believe they weren't.) After reading a lot of takes from various sources, I am convinced of the purity of the competition. Seems like they really just got lucky (or whatever) with a highly competitive event.

Quote Originally Posted by NatLee View Post
    We also attended all 5 sessions. It seemed that everyone enjoyed themselves and I have no doubt that teams all played to win. The odds makers favored team Europe by a wide margin. Side line antics were part of the show. The Sock/Kyrios team should play together. The United Center is a great venue and I'd give serious consideration to the event in the future. My only question was where was everyone to go between sessions if it rained? Everyone had to leave during the session break. The Fan Zone was quite crowded and lines were long, except maybe to taste the Grey Poupon mustards! The temporary practice structure was impressive, but it would have been better to let people who waited in long lines a few seconds to snap a still picture.
    Definitely we were lucky with the weather - we ducked out quickly after the day session and walked to the nearby Park Tavern (40 beers on draft and decent menu) - better quality food and much better price point than when we had to eat at the arena on the final day.

I agree with your comment about Sock/Kyrgios as a doubles team. They seem to enjoy playing together and Kyrgios can't seem to get his attitude together for singles.
    Last edited by atlpam; 09-26-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    My Happy Place

Novak Djokovic v Rafael Nadal: Match in Saudi Arabia off as Spaniard injured

A planned exhibition match between Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal in Saudi Arabia has been called off because of the Spaniard's ankle injury.

The world's top two ranked players were due to meet in Jeddah on 22 December.

There had been calls for the match to be cancelled after the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul.

The Saudis admit Khashoggi was killed in their consulate, and Turkish officials believe he was choked to death and his body dismembered.

World number one Djokovic said last month that he and Nadal would make a decision "soon" once they had more information about the situation.

The Serb told BBC Sport on Friday: "Nadal is injured, so the match is not happening this year."

Nadal pulled out of the ATP Tour finals in London after having surgery on his ankle last week.

Other sports events have taken place in Saudi Arabia since Khashoggi was killed, such as Brazil's football international against Argentina on 16 October.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/46156339
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3459748081828384