Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Federer - The greatest to ever play?

I've said it in the past, here and on other forums. But it's worth repeating.

There will come a day when the question of "who is the best man to ever play tennis?" will bring the reply, "Roger Federer". The man is supernatural on court. Congratulations, Roger!

(ps-I still say he has no reflection)
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Re: Federer - The greatest to ever play?

OK people:

I always knew that Federer could be good...no, really good. He has the game for sure. He was always just a little shy on the mental toughness, but it seems he has overcome that flaw. His game is like poetry in motion. The only other recent player that seemed to have all the shots in his arsenal was Marcelo Rios, but alas he also was defunct in the mental toughness category. He couldn'r get past that and were is he now. Retired: He says is body gave out but i'm not so sure of that. I personally was an Ivan Lendl freak,but now I have a male tennis player to take his place in my zeal of tennis heart. Rock on Roger!!!

Gerna

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

it's funny. I always respected Sampras, but never loved him. Too little emotion on the court.
    I feel the same way about FedEx.
    Lotta respect for his game, his shotmaking is beautiful, he looks great on the court. I like his style more than Sampras.
    But I still want him to lose to almost everyone in the top 10 whenever he plays.
    Great season Roger...3 Slams is a tremendous accomplishment, especially when the ATP is loaded with talent right now. But he doesn't do anything that endears him to me.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

this the most ridiculous thread I've read in quite some time ... Fed the greatest ever, after one year at the top

nobody has mentioned Rod Laver ... he's not even part of the poll!

and somebody actually made reference to RIOS? LMFAO

good stuff folks :
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien447
    this the most ridiculous thread I've read in quite some time ... Fed the greatest ever, after one year at the top

good stuff folks :
    Can't disagree Seb. Best this year, though, is clearly Federer.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2019

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien447

good stuff folks :
    Really? The most ridiculous in quite some time? I assume you haven't been to TOB lately.???

My original post said:
    There will come a day when...
    I didn't come close to suggesting he was the greatest player now.

gernaserna said:
    The only other recent player that seemed to have all the shots in his arsenal was Marcelo Rios
    Again, no reference of Rios being the greatest ever.

I added Laver to the poll.

Did you not read the entire posts or are you cranky because you're old now? ???

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wroad
    Kirkus, correct me if I'm wrong, you aren't a tennis player correct? Since you started the poll, I imagine your not including Laver in your poll is either an oversight or you might not have a complete historical context that Seb appears to want.
    I don't play. I go our local courts and flail about now and then, but I wouldn't call it playing. ;D

I did start the thread but someone else added the poll. At the time I had polls set up to only allow 8 choices. So it's my fault for not allowing enough options. I've changed the polls to allow up to 12 and I've added Laver to the poll.

wow, sorry everyone: I see a started a hot bed of discussion on who we feel is the best male tennis player. That is the thing about polls and voting. I would not like to see how a political poll would escalate. But I did my job. Enjoy!!!

My response was harsh. I would like to apologize to anyone whom I may have offended or even just irritated.

I was out of line, my only explanation ... I just turned 40!

Quote Originally Posted by DjTiesto
    i feel ya, brotha.

i, myself, am turning the big 21 in just two more months.

that means my young'n ass is finally evolving to the legal drinking age. we're such old farts ;D
    LOL ... that's good stuff!

I actually think this is a fun debate, despite all thread evidence to the contrary ... and I've seen the argument get quite hot on other boards as well

so, just for the record, I have Rocket Rod as all-time #1 and I do happen to feel that Fed has that same special something that Rod had, and that Pete had ... but so many things can happen to a guy during the course of a career.

right now it seems as though there's no stopping the guy ... I'll give you that Fed fans ... but will he have the luck, sustained desire and motivation? That's why we watch em play eh sports fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Betsmoyo
    I wondering here why no one has talked about borg. Somebody voted for him but nobody has said anything about him. I think he is awesome one of my absolute favorites. Vilas wasnt on that list either.
    Vilas is my all-time favorite player, but I don't think he's even top 10. Though he did have one of the best years ever in 77.

Borg is definitely top 10 IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by PJVA

Some say his winning is boring....
    Those are the aforementioned "casual fans" who don't understand the sport because there's absolutely nothing "boring" about Fed's tennis when he's on ... if anything, it actually gets humorous at times. Sometimes I just find myself laughing out loud at the shots he comes up with. He makes it look so easy ... it must be frustrating as hell to play the guy.

Fed's volley let him down against Agassi, but I wouldn't call his volley weak

The only times that I've ever seen the guy vulnerable in the past year and a half have been periods where he seems to space out a bit ... seems to lose focus and his UFEs increase. But that's just part of the normal ebb and flow of match play.

He reminds me of Sampras in the 90s ... sure he lost, but it wasn't because of the other guy as much as it was due to Pete. Fed is unbeatable now in the same way Pete was then.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I find it funny (not funny haha, funny odd -- then why didn't I just say "I find it odd" hmmmmm ??? Anyway, I digress) that when a discussion about Federer is going on, he's usually compared to Roddick. Which is kinda silly since their games are polar opposites. I guess it's because they're #s 1 and 2.

I find that watching an all-court player like Federer is just as enjoyable to me as watching a "ball-basher" (I use that term not for myself, but rather the Roddick-haters). I think the reason for that is because I'm more involved in the Player than the Play; the fight and fighter rather than the weapons they use.

A perfect example was the Women's Final on Saturday. I didn't really care about it. Both players are excellent in the sport and for some, dare I say most, watching the match was enjoyable. But I didn't really care about either player, or who won the match. If I can't root for someone or against someone, I don't find it nearly as exciting.

As for Roger ever being considered the best player ever -- if he stays healthy and doesn't come down with "safinbrain", I think he'll break every record out there... literally every record. As someone alluded to earlier, I think we're watching tennis history.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast