Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 631465253545556

Re: Anybody Else Watching Lost?

I think the show was great... until the ending. That marred it and lessened it for me. I felt cheated. Only worst thing would've been if they had been dreaming.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Agreed, drop-shot. I feel like that about the entire sixth season: I wish I could wake up like Sue Ellen and discover that it had never happened, and then continue on with the real storyline.

Blog Entries

But how else would you end it? It being a reality and them all dying anyway? Or them just getting off the island? I feel like that wouldn't work with the alternate reality part of the final season. Also I think a show like that needed something extraordinary to end on. Couldn't be as simple as everyone just getting off the island and somehow being able to progress with their lives.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I think there were a group of people who wanted all the questions answered. All loose ends tied up. Everything explained. Something more complex.

The writers had a choice to make. Bog us down with all that or go for the emotionally satisfying ending.

They chose the latter and they were right. We became so emotionally invested in these characters, the payoff had to involve them more than the island and unanswered questions.

I miss the show.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I think there were a group of people who wanted all the questions answered. All loose ends tied up. Everything explained. Something more complex.

The writers had a choice to make. Bog us down with all that or go for the emotionally satisfying ending.

They chose the latter and they were right. We became so emotionally invested in these characters, the payoff had to involve them more than the island and unanswered questions.

I miss the show.
    I agree with this interpretation. It was a very emotionally satisfying end, though I wish they could've made the time to answer 3 or 4 more burning questions.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

They created a lot of stories with no explaining or end. Just a few examples off the top of my head:

the island teleports
    polar bears
    the numbers

None of these were ever given an explanation. So it seems like cheap writing, as if the guy in charge was wondering, "How can we make it more interesting? Oh! I know! Lets throw in some polar bears!"

Well, if you're not going to explain them, you might as well have used giraffes or unicorns, as long as we're making things up on the go lets go big!

The other side of the coin is that these things had an explanation but it would've taken too long for them to do it their way so they just omitted them in the end.

Anyway, I feel robbed and it takes away from an otherwise great show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    They created a lot of stories with no explaining or end. Just a few examples off the top of my head:

the island teleports
    polar bears
    the numbers

None of these were ever given an explanation. So it seems like cheap writing, as if the guy in charge was wondering, "How can we make it more interesting? Oh! I know! Lets throw in some polar bears!"

Well, if you're not going to explain them, you might as well have used giraffes or unicorns, as long as we're making things up on the go lets go big!

The other side of the coin is that these things had an explanation but it would've taken too long for them to do it their way so they just omitted them in the end.

Anyway, I feel robbed and it takes away from an otherwise great show.
    The polar bears were brought on by the Dharma Initiative. I remember something being said about how they were just there as a somewhat fake experiment to cover up the electromagnetism work they were doing.

The teleportation I thought was the island protecting itself by changing its location so people couldn't simply find it again and because the wheel was turned it sort of feel out of place in terms of time.

And the numbers were the numbers of the candidates. Each of the people brought to the island were either candidate number 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 or 42.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscott415 View Post
    The polar bears were brought on by the Dharma Initiative. I remember something being said about how they were just there as a somewhat fake experiment to cover up the electromagnetism work they were doing.

The teleportation I thought was the island protecting itself by changing its location so people couldn't simply find it again and because the wheel was turned it sort of feel out of place in terms of time.

And the numbers were the numbers of the candidates. Each of the people brought to the island were either candidate number 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 or 42.
    I'll trust you on the polar bears since you've just seen the show.

Now, about the teleportation, if we take this reasoning, was the island alive then? How so? What is it exactly? Are there other beings like it out there? Can they teleport as well?
    I thought it was a man-made device to conceal the island. But even this is not explained and we are left guessing.

Re the numbers: why were they known so long before? Remember the French transmission? I think it was radioing the numbers; and that had been going on for 60 or so years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    I'll trust you on the polar bears since you've just seen the show.

Now, about the teleportation, if we take this reasoning, was the island alive then? How so? What is it exactly? Are there other beings like it out there? Can they teleport as well?
    I thought it was a man-made device to conceal the island. But even this is not explained and we are left guessing.

Re the numbers: why were they known so long before? Remember the French transmission? I think it was radioing the numbers; and that had been going on for 60 or so years.
    Yeah the teleportation was more speculating on my part. And I thought that because they had all died anyway none of it truly existed. Also they described the island as having a "heart".

And I don't think the French transmission was doing that. But yes it wasn't explained very well as how those exact numbers originated. Just that those were the numbers assigned to the candidates.

I think I've more of an exception saying this, but I thought the ending was near perfect, and about as good a series wrap as I have ever seen. And the final shot (Jack and Vincent) remains etched in my brain 2 years after the fact.

I echo shtexas's sentiments. I miss "Lost".
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I have all the seasons on DVD...looking forward to whenever I finally get the time to re-watch from the beginning. Will be quite different this time around.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Yes, I look forward to watching it again also. I'll just stop after season five.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Or skip the flash-sideways/limbo land scenes and watch the Island stuff?

Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 631465253545556