Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Spin

Quinn

Side Spin

I've recently been using side spin on the ball. It really gives it alot of pace and the ball stays low. Other than that is there any other pluses for using it? 8-)

Re: Side Spin

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I've recently been using side spin on the ball. It really gives it alot of pace and the ball stays low. Other than that is there any other pluses for using it? 8-)
    Added variety to your game. Keep your opponent off balance with different looks.
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

There are all kinds of benifits if sidespin is used wisely and in the right situations. I would not make it part of your every shot. I guess some may argue differently but that would be an old school junk baller kind of mentality. Not that there is anything wrong with that but very few can go far using a junkballer kind of style.

But back to the benifits...

You can use it on the serve, groundies, volleys, dropshots and overheads. You can use it to skid the ball away from the opponent as well as jamb the opponent. If your opponent is someone tall jambing them is never a bad idea, if they are short, stretch them out and make that ball skid away from them.

Even with drop shots, every inch counts. If you can get the dropper to bounce away from the opponent as they try to hustle the to the ball it makes a longer distance for them to run and it also can get them more so out of position and open up the court more for your next shot.

Another benifit to having side spin is that you can mix up your shots. Throw some topspin in, some slice, some side spin. All of which will keep your opponent on their toes as well as not allowing them to get into an easy rythm on your shots.

All spins are great. Learn to use them all and figure out how they can best help you and your game. One of my favorite shots in singles is the slice backhand down the line. I hit the ball with slice as well as some sidespin to get the ball to bounce out and away from the court once it lands. It gets me to the net and my opponent off of the court and gives me an easier volley. Of course pulling your opponent that far off of the court has it's downsides but that is a different day and a different subject...
    Good Luck on the Court!!!
    Scott Baker
    Tennis4you.com

I find using side spin on my forehand as a down the line approach shot to be quite effective, especially if I'm playing someone who doesn't have a strong backhand, the reply is usually weak if they don't judge the spin properly, which then allows me to put the ball away comfortably.

For the average player, messing with sidespin is a mistake. While you're fiddling around trying to put tricky spin on the ball you could be practicing hitting the ball deep and down the middle ... and you can win 90% of your matches doing just that.

Most players can't do that consistently in match play.
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

What is the difference between sidespin and a slice? I honestly don't know. XD

Quote Originally Posted by MuShuPork
    What is the difference between sidespin and a slice? I honestly don't know. XD
    Side spin will get the ball to move left to right before and after it bounces. More so after it bounces. A slice moves straight and just does not bounce as high (just backspin). A lot of people can hit a slice with side spin so it has both effects. A lot of beginners do this with bad technique just chopping at the ball. Some of the better players can add the side spin on purpose for strategical purposes.
    Good Luck on the Court!!!
    Scott Baker
    Tennis4you.com

Thanks for clearing that up for me.