Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: how fast are your serves?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien447
    [quote author=pawan89 link=1128103775/0#14 date=1159927561]my first post on the board.. lets see if i have time to come here often.. i check espn forums like everyday almost so maybe i will come here too.
    anyway.. as for the serve..
    I always thought my serve, the faster ones were around 40-45.
    I am an amazing guesstimater by the way. But a lot of my friends did tell me it might be a little over 45.. some said it might be close to a 90. of course they are only guesstimating. but i remember four years ago, when i was just learning tennis and served like underhand... this kid used to show off his serve and used to boast that someone had clocked him at 70mph.. and i used to think holy crap thats fast (i didnt know professional tennis players existed back then.. let alone thier speeds). but thinking back.. i used to return everything he served.. without much of a difficulty.. and i was barely begining. so he was either blatantly lieing or exagerating it.. or maybe 70 is really pretty slow .. or.. I must have been amazing to begin with.. ;D jk jk.. i still suck so thats not even an option. but i am pretty sure if he was speaking accurately and his serve was really 70.. mine might be around 85 (I really cant judge from something i saw four years ago but i know its a little faster than his) .. maybe a little faster the few rare times I serve flat and it goes in.. which is pretty rare.

and you all seem to be serving close to a hundred.. and i think my serves are on the faster side compared to the type of players i play with in college.. and i am like you know 17 , 5'10 pretty healthy and probably as strong as i will ever get so you know.. i might be really serving 90. thats ridiculously fast. i serve faster than i have ever driven? wow.
    LOL, you need to start driving faster!
    [/quote]

If Alexey Vayner's is a 140 mph, mine's most definitely 145 mph...
    ;D

My hardest serve ever hit is 100 mph on practice courts.. of course during my league matches, I probably serve at around 80-85 mph first serve with about 40 % chance of getting it in. http://forum.talkabouttennis.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
    Smile

My serves are usually HORRIBLE.
    Like...worse than Elena, HORRIBLE.

HOWEVER, when my backhand started going haywire..

i do'nt know what it was, but my serve just started to become really really consistent.

I only hit 1 DF playing a match against one of the guys on the men's team at my school; It was a NERVE-racking match because i had never played him before.
    I didn't know his game..
    And, usually, I would probably hit around 7+ Df's in those cases. So, that was definitly great.

Anywho..

I have no idea where my serve is coming from. And, i'm not going to question it.
    I hit serves over 120 in the last two weeks (as soon as my backhand went haywire on me). Everyone was telling me "wow, your serves are INSANE."
    I'm hitting ace after ace now.
    It's a new and strange feeling. I'm not used to having a good serve.

It was weird 'cause my backhand went, and my serve came together.
    I find that uber strange.

I haven't played since sometime back in July, so I have no idea where my game stands now. I've never had a big serve though. Most of the time I just slice it out wide. It's predictable but it gets me in the point.

Talking about playing tennis again makes me want to find a court and hit!

jj
    Blue Steel

I'm not all together sure how fast I serve but I usually try spinning it in anyways. I know one thing... not over 100, but over 60.

Quote Originally Posted by IntnstyAngle View Post
    I'm not all together sure how fast I serve but I usually try spinning it in anyways. I know one thing... not over 100, but over 60.
    Good spin and good placement can be just as effective as good pace. Overtime you will most likely develop a faster serve with that same spin or even more spin. I always enjoyed watching Rafter spin the heck out of the serve and coming in behind it to serve and volley. He didn't have a big serve but because of where he placed it and with the spin it still was plenty effective to help him execute his game. Spin on...

Quote Originally Posted by tennis4you View Post
    Good spin and good placement can be just as effective as good pace. Overtime you will most likely develop a faster serve with that same spin or even more spin. I always enjoyed watching Rafter spin the heck out of the serve and coming in behind it to serve and volley. He didn't have a big serve but because of where he placed it and with the spin it still was plenty effective to help him execute his game. Spin on...
    I'm going one step farther to say that a good kick serve is even more important than good pace. If you get good top on the ball, it's easier to get the serve in. Good kick serves are also difficult for an opponent to handle. Of course it's not as glamorous as the screaming ace! Then when you've got BOTH, you can start kickin some serious ass.

Get a good kick serve FIRST! Then work on your screaming aces my yellow ball chasing friends.
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien447 View Post
    Then when you've got BOTH, you can start kickin some serious ass.
    Hells yes. When you can mix them all in together and keep your opponent guessing you will be doing some serious damage.
    Good Luck on the Court!!!
    Scott Baker
    Tennis4you.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12