Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how fast are your serves?

I never managed to ask this question.

but out of curiosity, how fast can you guys crank your serves up to?

mine ranges 100-115....at the fastest, around 120.

second serve is about 70-80 mph with high kicks.

Re: how fast are your serves?

This is an area that usually hits a nerve of mine. I play USTA 4.5 legaue matches and I have seen plenty of 5.0 matches as well. No one at 4.5 is serving at 120, hell 115 would be a stretch. At 5.0 maybe the elite few.

I am not saying that you do not serve that hard, but I find at message boards people are always serving 115+ which is simply amazing. Crap, it is well beyond amazing. With a serve of 120 mph you should be rated a MINIMUM of 4.5 just on being able to hold serve.

What really cracks me up is a message board full of kids saying they can serve this hard. (This message board is not full of just kids, obviously)

I am around 100 mph.
    Good Luck on the Court!!!
    Scott Baker
    Tennis4you.com

Damn sporto, 120 is pretty gosh darn fast, that's for sure.

When I played, the serve was my strength. I'm not sure how fast it was, but I racked up my share of aces.
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

Quote Originally Posted by tennis4you
    This is an area that usually hits a nerve of mine. I play USTA 4.5 legaue matches and I have seen plenty of 5.0 matches as well. No one at 4.5 is serving at 120, hell 115 would be a stretch. At 5.0 maybe the elite few.

I am not saying that you do not serve that hard, but I find at message boards people are always serving 115+ which is simply amazing. Crap, it is well beyond amazing. With a serve of 120 mph you should be rated a MINIMUM of 4.5 just on being able to hold serve.

What really cracks me up is a message board full of kids saying they can serve this hard. (This message board is not full of just kids, obviously)

I am around 100 mph.
    I studied pete sampras and andy roddick's serving motion and watched their slow motion numerous times enough. I had gone to the local park to practice my motion and experiment the ball's effect lots of times.

and it paid off. but height still hinders me from serving harder and more accurately.

and I think kids nowadays serve harder......anywhere from 18-30 is where you're at your strongest. but the message board is obviously full of liars.

serving over 110+ for ordinary people take incredible amount of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien447
    Damn sporto, 120 is pretty gosh darn fast, that's for sure.

When I played, the serve was my strength. I'm not sure how fast it was, but I racked up my share of aces.
    well if you were able to rack up some aces, it means you must have served over 100, for sure.

I can only serve 120 very few times....perhaps once in few matches. I'm always around 100 or 110.

Well I've never actually had my serve timed before, but I know my first serve is hit hard and flat, and other members of my club have said it's the fastest serve there, and my second serve is a high kicker, and when it's working well, it's pretty good!

On a downer, I usually hit quite a few double faults, so many in fact, that a double fault is now known at my club as a 'Richard'!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Swales
    Well I've never actually had my serve timed before, but I know my first serve is hit hard and flat, and other members of my club have said it's the fastest serve there, and my second serve is a high kicker, and when it's working well, it's pretty good!

On a downer, I usually hit quite a few double faults, so many in fact, that a double fault is now known at my club as a 'Richard'!
    Richard,

You have to stop all those double faults. Get a grip man :P

I'm trying Dolly, honest I am, maybe it should be my New Years Resolution ;D

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

How fast are my serves?

Have you ever hit a beach-ball?
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Swales
    I'm trying Dolly, honest I am, maybe it should be my New Years Resolution ;D

Please tell me you're not as bad as Elena - lol. Remember ... practice makes perfect.

Good luck :-*

Quote Originally Posted by Doll_Face
    [quote author=Richard Swales link=1128103775/0#7 date=1131136827]I'm trying Dolly, honest I am, maybe it should be my New Years Resolution ;D

Please tell me you're not as bad as Elena - lol. Remember ... practice makes perfect.

Good luck :-*[/quote]

Nope, not quite as bad as Elena, pretty close though! I haven't been able to play at all for about 6 weeks as the weather here in the UK has been really miserable, but once I get back on court, I can assure you serves will be priority!

I'm sorry about the weather, Richard, but it's been simply beautiful here in the US NE. Do us proud when you hit the courts again -- I know you will.

Keep us informed.

I've only been serious about tennis for about a year now, so I still haven't gotten to the point where I can generate power with any kind of consistency. I don't think I've hit 100 mph yet, but maybe somewhere in the 90's.

Back in 95 I had my serve clocked at 118 at the US Open, that was when I was in college and playing a lot more, and teaching a lot less. Sometimes I feel like I serve harder now, but I doubt if that is really the case. Being 5'8" hasn't helped me at all either!

Another thing to consider in the power debate is the use of poly strings now. They are a lot more powerful than the natural gut that most of the top pros were using 10 years ago. Back then Goran was the only one getting into the high 130's, now everyone is doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by pawan89
    my first post on the board.. lets see if i have time to come here often.. i check espn forums like everyday almost so maybe i will come here too.
    anyway.. as for the serve..
    I always thought my serve, the faster ones were around 40-45.
    I am an amazing guesstimater by the way. But a lot of my friends did tell me it might be a little over 45.. some said it might be close to a 90. of course they are only guesstimating. but i remember four years ago, when i was just learning tennis and served like underhand... this kid used to show off his serve and used to boast that someone had clocked him at 70mph.. and i used to think holy crap thats fast (i didnt know professional tennis players existed back then.. let alone thier speeds). but thinking back.. i used to return everything he served.. without much of a difficulty.. and i was barely begining. so he was either blatantly lieing or exagerating it.. or maybe 70 is really pretty slow .. or.. I must have been amazing to begin with.. ;D jk jk.. i still suck so thats not even an option. but i am pretty sure if he was speaking accurately and his serve was really 70.. mine might be around 85 (I really cant judge from something i saw four years ago but i know its a little faster than his) .. maybe a little faster the few rare times I serve flat and it goes in.. which is pretty rare.

and you all seem to be serving close to a hundred.. and i think my serves are on the faster side compared to the type of players i play with in college.. and i am like you know 17 , 5'10 pretty healthy and probably as strong as i will ever get so you know.. i might be really serving 90. thats ridiculously fast. i serve faster than i have ever driven? wow.
    LOL, you need to start driving faster!
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast