Thread: Backhand

Backhand

I'm not sure what it is, but lately my backhand has been horrible. I keep hitting it to the net.
    I use a double handed backhand (sometimes i hit it one-handed flat..or a one-handed slice also) (also, i'm left-handed).
    I think it might be my follow through...
    i'm not sure what's wrong with it...maybe it's the yips..idk.

any hints on how to improve one's backhand?
    The poster formerly known as Jessie181

Re: Backhand

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181
    I'm not sure what it is, but lately my backhand has been horrible. I keep hitting it to the net.
    I use a double handed backhand (sometimes i hit it one-handed flat..or a one-handed slice also) (also, i'm left-handed).

Jessie,

Are you definitely starting low and finishing high on it. I would make sure that you're doing that first if you suspect the follow through is part of the problem. Make sure knees are bent. I would also suggest trying to maybe put more topspin on it to give yourself some more clearance over the net if you're constantly netting the backhand.
    ADAM Member

Tour Pro
    Awards Showcase

Currently University of Missouri, wished it was still Houston

i went through a phase like you talked about at the beginning of my second high school season and i just switched to a one-hander and made it my weapon after a few weeks, but thats not the best of advice of course. when i used to have problems with the two hander i would really focus on taking off pace and getting a good shoulder turn and focus on hitting from the shoulders until i found my groove, and bending the knees was really important since i forgot to do that alot when i hit it.
    "well jesus christ i'm alone again, so what did you do those three days you were dead? cause this problems gonna last, more than the weekend..." ~ brand new

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The other cause of hitting into the net (if that's really where most of the errors go) is that you're hitting it late.

Try to contact the ball further in front of you, and see if that helps.

S
    Countdown of great Sue Sylvester quotes from Glee
    #6:
    "Get ready for the ride of your life Will Schuester. You're about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination horror! "

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181
    yeah, practice
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

[q
    Last edited by Jay; 01-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Jessie: You're a neat guy and all, so please don't take any of the following personally....but, frankly, I have learned never to give advice to left-handed players. My experience is that all left-handed players play like mutant freaks- and I should know, as my partner is also left handed. And, true, I do love him- but, playing left-handers is just unnecessarily disturbing. All those off-angles and spinny serves that never land where they are supposed to....well, frankly, Jessie, if you played tennis the normal way, i.e., right-handed, i.e., the way God intended, perhaps you would not be having these problems with your backhand.

So, my prayer today is that all of the backhands of left-handed players go haywire, and we sensible right-handers do nothing to assist. You weirdos have enough other advantages, ain't gettin' nothin' from nelslus. [smiley=engel017.gif]
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus
    Jessie: You're a neat guy and all, so please don't take any of the following personally....but, frankly, I have learned never to give advice to left-handed players. My experience is that all left-handed players play like mutant freaks- and I should know, as my partner is also left handed. And, true, I do love him- but, playing left-handers is just unnecessarily disturbing. All those off-angles and spinny serves that never land where they are supposed to....well, frankly, Jessie, if you played tennis the normal way, i.e., right-handed, i.e., the way God intended, perhaps you would not be having these problems with your backhand.

So, my prayer today is that all of the backhands of left-handed players go haywire, and we sensible right-handers do nothing to assist. You weirdos have enough other advantages, ain't gettin' nothin' from nelslus. [smiley=engel017.gif]
    [smiley=hyst.gif]

"if you played tennis the normal way, i.e., right-handed, i.e., the way God inteded"

LMAO

haha that's hilarious!

awww

now i'm a bit happier to be left handed.
    *sigh* good times, good times.

thank god for advantages

I never had a coach, never took a tennis lesson, until after I had a sectional ranking. Even after a coach was provided for me, it was more for tactics than anything else. Most casual players who really want to improve overanalyze shot production. Filling up your head with extending follow-throughs, elbow angles and such only confuses most players and produces stiff mechanical tennis. Shots should be grooved with hour after hour of practice. Club pros typically rattle off a littany of instructions for students who practice only a few hours per week. That formula does not work. I know, I was one of those club pros and I had to get out. People are lazy. They are unable to invest the required effort to improve. Sure these people were spending big bucks for the lessons, but they should have given it to their favorite charity. A tennis lesson will not improve your game. Shot analysis will not improve your game. Don't waste your time on club pros. Keep your mind clear. And practice, practice, practice.
    It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

J.Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post

Wow. First of all, you must commit to a single style. Say like a double handed backhand or single. It's pretty hard if you have so many shots to choose from with only a fraction of a second to decide.... I have not seen you play but I'm also a lefty and in my teens I once played using a double handed backhand. I figured that it has limited reach so I switched to single (more versatile).

Check some of my posts here
    Last edited by luvs10s; 01-05-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: link deleted. against forum rules

TennisProNY

Jessie, one common mistake on the backhand is letting the wrists cross during contact and follow through. Keep the wrists firm and parallel on the backhand and swing low to high through the ball!

sergeimus

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post

Try to lower your racket, point it more to the ground before the shot and then follow through...

wow, lots of advice. here is the basic deal: if you are hitting the ball into the net, hitting with more topspin will make you hit even more into the net (topspin makes the ball drop). if they are line drive missles into the net then you do need to hit up on the ball some, if they are more spinny then you need to hit through the ball more (reach out towards your opponent). the final point is that if you are alternating between one hand and two then you are likely using your dominant hand too much (left) when you hit your backhand. for a lefty, you should think hit it like a right handed forehand with the left hand just along for the ride. go to boomtennis.org and follow my blog. we are just getting started

I believe not using a polyester string puts you at a disadvantage. Every top pro in the world uses some type of monofilament string in their rackets. It consists of a single polyester fiber with a thin coating. This allows you to use a thinner string and still maintain durability while keeping a bit of feel.