Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

AO Suicide Pool - Day 10

It will be the flip side on the Quarterfinals.

Nalbandian v. Hewitt
    Davydanko v. Roddick

Davenport v. Molk
    Dechy v. Schnyder

Good luck Bill.

BTW, if my original game plan had worked, I"d be taken Roddick today. Maybe it is best that it didn't, because I had Hewitt figured for the finals, and now I think Nalbandian beats him.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: AO Suicide Pool - Day 10

Bill remains alive as we approach Day 10 - Safin took his match in 3 fairly routine sets.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

perfect strategizing there Bill!
    that's why you're still alive and the rest of us are sitting with our feet up in the loser's lounge

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

PJVA:

Aside from smoking picking talent, I think Bill has demonstrated incredibly good taste since he joined us here at TAT.

So, obviously, he is a huge Kim Clijsters fan

I like to let the match decide for me. When watching a really great match, I find myself in the moment and enjoying the tennis. Every once in a while I will find myself pulling for one player or the other.....I just go with it.
    I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth. A nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and without borders, where life is lived in the present. In this limitless nation, this nation of wind, light, and peace, there is no other ruler besides the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by catz33
    I like to let the match decide for me. When watching a really great match, I find myself in the moment and enjoying the tennis. Every once in a while I will find myself pulling for one player or the other.....I just go with it.
    Exactly, catz, I never know who my favorite is until I'm watching a match and find myself rooting for one player or another. And sometimes, I don't have a favorite in the match.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2019

Quote Originally Posted by PJVA
    It's interesting to try to compare if you saw one interesting well rounded match with competitors that you felt equally about. Then if you watched a well rounded good match between players where you were crazy about one of them and even wrote him or her letters and had dreams about him or her, would that match be way more exciting?

I think it's good to like a wide variety of players. But it makes life more interesting to have one that is special above all others.
    Whoa, PJVA, letters and dreams? I can't remember any dreams about tennis players. And I don't even write my mother letters. (Well, I do call her sometimes.)
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

interesting discussion.

I have one huge favorite who I want to see win every match that she plays, and almost feel sick when she loses Grand Slam finals.

I have lesser favorites that I like to see succeed, but I don't pin huge expectations on them.

But I almost always find myself rooting for one player over another in every match I watch.

And I'll make an admission on this: the 1995 Wimbledon final between Steffi and Arantxa (my all time favorite player), that featured "THE POINT". When Steffi finally won the point after 20 minutes, 18 game points and 13 deuces - I barfed. And I didn't watch any more tennis until the US Open that year.

Quote Originally Posted by PJVA

Who's the one huge favorite of yours? I can identify with your point about feeling sick when the player looses.
    Come on, PJVA, you must know Moose's favorite player.

Hint: She's not playing the AO and she's lost 4 slam finals.

Having a favorite in a match adds passion, drama and enjoyment to the viewing. When my fav is on, I put the house on lockdown. No one comes in ... No one goes out. And, if someone would dare turn the channel - Lord have mercy on them (I could say what I really mean and just edit it out later, but I'll just leave it at that - lol). When Gustavo was battling with that giant muscle, Magnus Norman, in the 2000 FO finals, it was killing me. I was all on the floor, scraping knees and elbows and everything. What happened to him anyway? Did Hingis put him out his misery - lol :P I love having a fav when I'm viewing a sporting event. But, it really hurts when they're defeated.

PJ, remind me never to speak ill of Roger in front of you. I'm scared of those dreams Ha-Ha!