Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

AO Suicide Pool - Day 11

Pick due by...well you know the drill, Bill!

I think the order of play should be changing up today to get the semi-finals into position - and to allow for even day's rest for the players going into the finals - so I can;t hazard a guess (though if I did it would be both women's semi-final matches playing Thursday, Australia time/Wednesday night our time.)

Tune in a.m. for matches - and good luck! I'm hoping you last 14 days.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Re: AO Suicide Pool - Day 11

And your matches are:

Sharapova v S. Williams
    Davenport v Dechy
    Federer v Safin

That's a tough choice. Davenport's a pretty sure thing vs Dechy but then you can't pick her to win on Saturday.

Sharapova v S. Williams seems like a 50-50 proposition.

If you pick Federer to win vs Safin (most likely outcome) then you can't pick Federer to win on Sunday.

Personally, I'd pick Davenport over Dechy for tomorrow. Then you can pick the winner of Sharapova vs S. Williams as the winner on Saturday.

Just thought I'd give you a little advice. But then I picked Srebotnik to win over Baltacha in the first round :-[
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2011

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

projected weather for Melbourne - Thursday

Showers, high of 85 degrees. Humidity - High

They'll likely close the roof so that they can play the matches Bill, which mitigates a lot of the heat and humidity factors.

Womens semis are during the day - Federer/Safin at night.

Hope that helps - I'm rooting for you to go 14 for 14. Of course, with the way this has played out, you have to pick Lleyton on Friday.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillVFW
    Moose, 3mlm, & KIrkus,

Am I missing something with the AO Schedule of Play?

There are 3 SF Matches on Day 11.

If that is correct, then there is only 1 SF match on Day 12, the Hewitt/Roddick Match.

IMO, this is NOT a desirable arrangement for a Suicide Pool, because it:
    (a) may force a Contestant to use a pick that he/she wants to use in the Final or
    (b) automatically eliminates a Contestant who used both picks in prior Rounds.

What to do about this?

I'm not sure; I had a couple of ideas but neither one is really satisfactory.

I know that you want to iron out the kinks in TAT's Suicide Pool before the FO. Obviously, this is one of them. I hope this "kink" can be reasonably resolved & is not a fatal flaw.

At the very least, I suggest that a Heads Up be posted--once at the start of the Contest and then again daily, beginning with the Round of 16.

For the AO, this alert might have been:

Please remember that the only Match scheduled for Day 12 is the Men's SF in the bottom bracket.

Help,
    BillVFW [smiley=hammer2.gif]
    Bill:
    Think this was an unexpected twist - usually in Slams, one day is both womens SF's, next day is both mens. I was as suprised as you were to see them play Fed/Safin tongiht, instead of tomrrow. It results in the winner getting an extra day's rest going into the final.

The French, WImby and the US all run their schedules wpmens SF one day/mens another day (at least that is how I recall it).

I would think it fair, if we want to modify things for the purpose of the Pool, and for it to play out exactly how it should have to let your Day 11 pick be a selection of the womens SF's, and your Day 12 to be a selection of the mens. Of course, this would mean that if you were choosing your Day 12 from the Fed/Safin match, you'd have to post it today.

I think that is both logical and reasonable...but then again, I'm lefthanded.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

then, go Natalie go.
    I"m in your corner, BillVFW!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

my bad Bill, sorry I didn't get you an answer earlier.

Yes, at the US, both the mens semi and the womens final is played on Saturday. Both womens semis are played on Friday.

I'm gonna have to see if we can get an order of play for the tournament in advance - I'm sure it is available, so we can keep tabs on how the draws will be played and on what days.

Aw Bill ... you were a trooper, but both your options would've made you The King Of The Losers Lounge - lol. You did very well in the contest and I was pulling for you to go all the way - Nice job. I'll be ready for you the next time :P

Congrats!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Bill,
    Hope I'm not misinterpreting a running joke between you and Doll, but D's ref to the loser's lounge is a continuation of what all of us who lost in the pool had been joking about. So the "King" ref means props since you took the title.

Hope you won't be taking a break for too long - Indian Wells, Proxmius Diamond, Miami, and a whole lotta other good stuff is just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by BillVFW
    It is clear that you did not understand what my Options were all about.

How else can I reasonably explain your King of the Losers' Lounge comment?

How long have you had that comment stored away, just waiting to be used?

This is twice in one Day. Yesterday, I got one in letters larger than your dog, Noel.

My "belly barometer" tells me to take a respite from posting. Actually, this coincides favorably with my part-time, consulting job-responsibilities picking up, because my style of posting takes up too much of my time. I'll continue to read, because that goes lickety split.
    I understood exactly what your options were about. My response was in kind because you were the last one to lose and both options would have knocked you out. I was just making a joke. Hope I didn't offend you.

And, I just thought it up this morning.

Hope to see you back soon.