Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Formula One and Tennis

I know that ponchi is a Formula One fan (as well as a tennis fan, obviously). But anyone else who has followed F1 is welcome to add to the list as well, of course.

(You know that the virus situation has shut many things down and boredom is the main pastime when posts like this appear.)

Name reasonably well known tennis players and ANY Formula 1 drivers who’ve had the same family name.
    Go back in time as far as you like in both sports.

Off the top of my head, I’ve got:
    Sebastien Grosjean (tennis) and Romain Grosjean (F1) (this is the one that got me thinking of this topic)
    Tomas Johansson (tennis) and Stefan Johansson (F1)...
    Nadia Petrova (tennis) and Vitaly Petrov (F1) (yes, female versions of names count, too)...
    Michael Russell (tennis) and George Russell (F1)...
    Pierre-Hugues Herbert (tennis) and Johnny Herbert (F1)...
    Marc Rosset (tennis) and Ricardo Rosset (F1) (ok - I looked that one up, but I do remember Ricardo).

There are probably several more...
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Re: Formula One and Tennis

Sorry. I am not a F1 fan. The category has become a joke, with the cars doing 90% of the winning. And it is not recent; Schumacher, with all his "greatness", was simply the beneficiary of having the best car, which at the time was Ferrari (his other two titles came with Benetton).
    It is not Hamilton that is the great driver, which I don't think any of these new champions are. In the past, you had cars with gearboxes with no synchronizers so you had to, mandatorily, double clutch on every shift. Missing one double clutch when downshifting meant a blown gearbox or engine. You also had to manage your engine as no car could go a full race at full speed and expect the engine to make it. Now, if you lose one gear, the guys from the pits will adjust your setting so that you can go the rest of the race without the gear, via RC.
    Don't get me wrong. The technology is amazing. The G forces in an F1 are hard to grasp and handling a car that can get from 0-60 in less than 2 secs, plus can corner at 4G's is not for the meek. They are not monkeys in a space capsule, but a lot of the things that the previous guys could do are no longer needed. It is the one sport in which I am certain that Jackie Stewart, Nicki Lauda, Alain Prost, Fangio, Jim Clark or Fittipaldi were better drivers than the modern group, and by a mile. They are Nintendo drivers (the new guys).
    You want driving skills? MotoGP. And even there the bikes are becoming too much.

About your list: I can't figure out anybody else. Will try.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I completely agree with you. The main difference between an F1 video game and driving an actual F1 car today is that you can pause the video game to go pee, whereas in the actual car, you must wet yourself.

That said, try to play along and find some common family names

Sports evolve. Especially in one with a lot of technology (I.e. racing)

Tennis has seen it with racquets. Golf with their equipment.

But the sports evolve too - think how prevalent 3 point shot is - or swinging for power in baseball.

Hamilton can't go back in time to race in that era. But there are signs of how good he is. Uncanny ability to pull out an extra tenth in qualifying or on an in-lap. He manages his tyres better than almost anyone - getting 30 laps out of a set they are supposed to get 20.

I recently listened to a podcast with someone who raced against him when he was a teen. Yes he was fully funded at the time, but Hamilton was the real deal then already.

In summary - there isn't anything close to parity right now. But he he is still shoulders above most - and would have been good in other eras as well. (I'll also work on some names)

Katrina Stewart and Jackie Stewart not exactly the same caliber.

And Justin Wilson matches equipment.

Lastly Williams team matches some certain sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post

Lastly Williams team matches some certain sisters.
    So does Haas... and Patrick Head and Head racquets... but I'm looking for players/drivers.

Thiago Monteiro vs Tiago Monteiro
    Jay Berger vs Gerhard Berger

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Thiago Monteiro vs Tiago Monteiro
    Jay Berger vs Gerhard Berger
    Great.
    I should have gotten the Bergers, as I remember both of them very well.
    Keep going!