Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: ATP M1000 Paris 11/2 - 11/8 2020

RESULTS
    Singles - Final
    [3] D. Medvedev (RUS)
    d [4] A. Zverev (GER) 57 64 61

Doubles - Final
    F. Auger-Aliassime (CAN) / H. Hurkacz (POL)
    d [2] M. Pavic (CRO) / B. Soares (BRA) 67(3) 76(7) 10-2

About MS1000's VS Slams. Winning ONE slam is more difficult. 5 setters, and all players below the 100 cut off point.
    But I will admit that there is one exception (perhaps). Winning the CANADA/CINCY double is harder. It is two weeks on hard courts, but you need to play 10 matches. That one is really tough.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    ON TC today the commentators were saying that many people feel winning a Masters 1000 is actually tougher than winning a slam. I'd love to see the average ranking of let's say Nole, Rafa and Fed's opponents in a slam and then in a Masters 1000. It's fewer rounds, but I think maybe the quality of the opponent is on the average higher, even if you take away the first two rounds of the slam. Those rounds give opponents the chance to lose early. and of course, what Megan said.

Kevin
    Yeah, this has been a debate for awhile. At a Masters, players have to hit the ground running because the first opponent can be pretty highly ranked. And upsets are easier in best-of-three. And finally, playing consecutive days (though top players who start on Tuesday would get Wed or Thurs off). But Slams are more physical and can be more pressure for some players, as someone else noted. And winning 7 matches is, by definition, harder than winning 5. Two more chances for an off day, an injury, a distraction, a zoning opponent...

Playing 5 best-of-three matches over 5-7 days in a Masters shouldn't be that physically tough for these guys, especially if they get a few routine wins along the way. A few grueling five-setters at a Slam sounds much harder. Winning 21 sets versus 10 sets sounds harder. But I'm sure it varies by player.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 11-09-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234