Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: '20 RG Day 5 OoP & Discussion

The Greek god could be Apollo, or it could be Dionysus. Tricky nickname.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Denis Shapovalov
    @denis_shapo
    When will we have Hawkeye on clay?
    @atptour
    @rolandgarros

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

I wouldn't mind Hawkeye on clay, but I hate when people use the set up they have now to act like they got robbed. They do not have the complete set up, so the accuracy is way below normal.

The last time I heard the clay set up described, it was 5 or 6 camera around a court instead of 10, which dropped the accuracy from 99.whatever% to 93-94%.

Right. The consistency of the clay, means that even when adding more cameras, they can't get to 99% unless they've improved the technology in recent years. It is a big problem to me that the TV networks show it and use it as if it is as definitive as it is on hard courts. They never mention the differences in setup when it is purely for entertainment value.

For Pliskova. I picked Ostapenko in this match before the tournament began. She looked good in Strasbourg, her play was different than it has been, most focused with a bit more control. And I rarely trust Pliskova, let alone in a Grand Slam match. As far as I can tell, her doing good in Rome means next to nothing. Sure she was a finalist there this year, but she won it last year and she got bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round at RG soon after. She's reliably unreliable at slams to me.

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Well, I guess she did win Rome and Madrid
    Bitch I get that reference. Lol.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Bitch I get that reference. Lol.
    Ain't I a stinker?
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Ain't I a stinker?
    Yes. But now that I know there is something deeper there, please explain. I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Yes. But now that I know there is something deeper there, please explain. I am lost.
    Watch til the end.

Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Didn't see it. But some people online call him The Greek God. Tennis isn't very good with nicknames.

There's been a decent amount of discussion about hair this week, with Sascha and Pierre's match being the most significant, so that could be some of it, plus it's National Hair Day, so it might have been thought of as more relevant today. But Stefanos hair does get a lot of attention regularly, so it's not surprising to me. I have no doubt it was cringeworthy.
    Thanks. I didn't know that. So even with that, Eagle calling him that once would have been fine, but it was maybe four or five times in the maybe 30 minutes of the match that I saw.

The thing is that I really like Tsitsipas and I hope that he fulfills his potential. He seems way more interesting to me than a lot of the other top male players, though admittedly I don't know much about him.

And there is a national hair day??? Is that in the US, or France, or Greece?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I don't know who started the nickname, but some of his fans/followers have been calling him that for a while. He made a video earlier this year that started with "Hey, it's the Greek God here..." It is, indeed, deeply embarrassing.
    UTS used The Greek God. They gave every player an embarrassing nickname. Berrettini was The Hammer, Lopez was El Torero, Zverev was The Lion (right after he got caught LYIN about quarantining), poor Goffin was The Wall. All very video-gamey, like choosing an avatar. I appreciate the experimentation, though.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    UTS used The Greek God. They gave every player an embarrassing nickname. Berrettini was The Hammer, Lopez was El Torero, Zverev was The Lion (right after he got caught LYIN about quarantining), poor Goffin was The Wall. All very video-gamey, like choosing an avatar. I appreciate the experimentation, though.
    None of them is as bad as the Ft. Lauderdale Hatchet Woman.

Kevin

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Best of 5 throws off stats like this. I looked up Isner/Mahut - remarkably, they only made 92 combined! Mahut only made 39 over 11 hours! These are unforced errors, and a lot of errors at the end were probably forced as it was on grass. So the headline for Shapo is that he made more errors than Isner/Mahut combined.
    ^ That's simply because the people counting the unforced errors for Isner/Mahut had to go for lunch, then supper, then to bed - each day - and so missed many parts of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Right. The consistency of the clay, means that even when adding more cameras, they can't get to 99% unless they've improved the technology in recent years. It is a big problem to me that the TV networks show it and use it as if it is as definitive as it is on hard courts.
    ^ It's not definitive on hard courts, either. It's always going to be an estimate.
    The only definitive system would be an actual video of the actual ball bouncing on the actual court - preferably in 'super slow motion'.

And Denis posting that screen shot after he lost of 'Hawkeye' showing the shot out was quite cheap. You don't do that after a loss. That call was obviously not the reason he lost. He was serving at 5-4 in the 5th set, and lost the match. By posting the screen shot, he is not accepting that the responsibility for the loss lies solely with himself.
    He's young, though, and will hopefully mature to the point where he doesn't do childish things like that any more.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 10-02-2020 at 04:24 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

The Isner/Mahut match had very few Unforced Errors because they just simply could not get the returns back, and almost everything was an Ace or a Service Winner. The stats were not that far off.
    And there were almost no rallies, so no way to make too many UE's.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    None of them is as bad as the Ft. Lauderdale Hatchet Woman.

Kevin
    Who's is that? Afraid to google.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123