Agree Agree:  12
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: '20 RG Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    The other issue is that the remaining calendar is likely to be fully indoors. Such tournaments tend to have smaller draws, not much opportunities for those ranked in the 50-100 range. For example, Ostrava premier draw is only 32 and currently the last direct acceptance is #25 Jennifer Brady.
    Absolutely. And hard to know who will go. The early tournaments allowed for a lot of lower ranked players to enter the draws. Will that continue because not everyone wants to travel? Higher ranked players certainly have much more leeway in not playing because their career earnings are greater. But maybe even some of the lower half of the Top 100 can forego since many collected hefty US Open and RG paychecks. Guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I watched the whole match and her grunt is beyond ridiculous--she was still bellowing half the time after the ball had already gone over the net and bounced. It reminded me of Laura Siegemund, who I think is the most obnoxious player currently on tour. Midway through the second set, she switched her playing style to all junk; it was moonballs and high loopers (see my comment above about switching to junior tennis). She was clearly annoying Coco, though, and I also was not a fan.
    So I'm with you on the grunting. Someone today (I'm not sure if it was that match or not) grunted when they hit a drop shot. Come on. The problem is that it's impossible to make a hard and fast rule because there are times when the grunting really is necessary. I also think there is a little bit of sexism in how people view grunting. What do you think? David Ferrer did the post-hit grunt every single time he hit the ball. My nieces and nephew were watching a match of his one time with me (they aren't into tennis) and started laughing and imitating him. But guys grunting somehow doesn't get the same amount of negative attention. In any case, just IMHO, the grunt that lasts until the ball goes over the net is becoming ubiquitous and for me anyway, it doesn't amount to gamespersonship. But I will try to watch some of her next match to get a more informed opinion.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    So I'm with you on the grunting. Someone today (I'm not sure if it was that match or not) grunted when they hit a drop shot. Come on. The problem is that it's impossible to make a hard and fast rule because there are times when the grunting really is necessary. I also think there is a little bit of sexism in how people view grunting. What do you think? David Ferrer did the post-hit grunt every single time he hit the ball. My nieces and nephew were watching a match of his one time with me (they aren't into tennis) and started laughing and imitating him. But guys grunting somehow doesn't get the same amount of negative attention. In any case, just IMHO, the grunt that lasts until the ball goes over the net is becoming ubiquitous and for me anyway, it doesn't amount to gamespersonship. But I will try to watch some of her next match to get a more informed opinion.

Kevin
    I have to admit that I've watched very little men's tennis in the past decade or so. I love a healthy grunt on a player of either sex, but when you are still screaming when your opponent is making contact with the ball, that's gamesmanship to me--there is no reason to do it other than to try to throw off an opponent's concentration. I think hindrance should be called on any grunt that is still going on once the ball is in the opponent's field of play.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Regarding Cori Gauff... Excessive double faults are almost always the result of a mental issue more than of a physical/technical problem.
    Given her fragile age, it might be best for any coach (or parent) to not put too much focus on the double faults. The worst thing would be for her to over-think the serve even more than she is now.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Absolutely. And hard to know who will go. The early tournaments allowed for a lot of lower ranked players to enter the draws. Will that continue because not everyone wants to travel? Higher ranked players certainly have much more leeway in not playing because their career earnings are greater. But maybe even some of the lower half of the Top 100 can forego since many collected hefty US Open and RG paychecks. Guess we'll see.
    As of right now the only top players missing from the entry list are Barty, Halep, Osaka, Serena, Bencic, Andreescu and Riske. Who will drop out before the tournament is indeed impossible to say. There will also be a qualifying draw (16?), but that is more likely to be filled with European based players.
    Roger forever

I watched the whole match and her grunt is beyond ridiculous--she was still bellowing half the time after the ball had already gone over the net and bounced. It reminded me of Laura Siegemund, who I think is the most obnoxious player currently on tour. Midway through the second set, she switched her playing style to all junk; it was moonballs and high loopers (see my comment above about switching to junior tennis). She was clearly annoying Coco, though, and I also was not a fan.
    I watched only 15 min highlights. The grunting was excessive true, but I also saw a lot of ferocious hitting from both players and not a lot of moonballs.
    Roger forever

Look like Dan Evans was at it again last night, kicking off with one of his opponents in a doubles match. The umpire had to jump down from his chair to restrain him. Ughhh

I watched only 15 min highlights. The grunting was excessive true, but I also saw a lot of ferocious hitting from both players and not a lot of moonballs.
    I doubt they would make the highlights
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Switching topics, I just read that Schmiedlova's win over Venus in round one snapped a 13 match losing streak at grand slams that lasted over 5 years
    Lord! Great pull for whoever found that out. It was probably in the WTA's match notes, though.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Look like Dan Evans was at it again last night, kicking off with one of his opponents in a doubles match. The umpire had to jump down from his chair to restrain him. Ughhh
    Then is seemed to wrap up congenially. I couldn't hear every word, but they elbow-bumped at the end and everyone seemed happy. Was about a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    Regarding Cori Gauff... Excessive double faults are almost always the result of a mental issue more than of a physical/technical problem.
    Given her fragile age, it might be best for any coach (or parent) to not put too much focus on the double faults. The worst thing would be for her to over-think the serve even more than she is now.
    Historically, people with the yips with their second serves seldom get that corrected. Sharapova and Sabatini come to mind. Zverev is the current top guy dealing with that issue. The problem is that if you slow down your first serve so as to avoid hitting seconds, you are really not dealing with it. You will still have to hit a few over a match. And then, the yips come back.
    I really hope she gets it, because I am on her wagon.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Then is seemed to wrap up congenially. I couldn't hear every word, but they elbow-bumped at the end and everyone seemed happy. Was about a call.
    One of his opponents thought the ball hit Evans when he made his strike, so he politely asked Dan if that was the case after point. Dan being Dan took offence and got all arsey about it. He was jovial enough at the end but I bet he wouldn’t have been so friendly if he’d have lost

The other issue is that the remaining calendar is likely to be fully indoors. Such tournaments tend to have smaller draws, not much opportunities for those ranked in the 50-100 range. For example, Ostrava premier draw is only 32 and currently the last direct acceptance is #25 Jennifer Brady.
    indoors is also problematic with Covid, depending on local regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    One of his opponents thought the ball hit Evans when he made his strike, so he politely asked Dan if that was the case after point. Dan being Dan took offence and got all arsey about it. He was jovial enough at the end but I bet he wouldn’t have been so friendly if he’d have lost
    Okay, wasn't sure what happened. He was pretty belligerent. Anytime an umpire has to get out of his chair and hold you back, not good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234