Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  20
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: '20 RG Day 3 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Have I ever told my Gilles Simon story? Pretty sure I am partly responsible for his success.
    As a published woman in a community of technologically-average nerds, you have to be purposefully putting chum in the waters.

You bitch.

Okay fine, I'll bite, tell us the story!!!!!!!!!

Did someone post Ymer's tweener passing shot? This is when you miss a crowd.

https://twitter.com/tennis_gifs/stat...57266535878656
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Wozniacki has made some mark on the Danish tennis landscape after all.

Incidentally 2019 RG boy's champion and former Junior #1 Holger Vitus Nodskov is also from Denmark.

She may have, but Tauson may have been more inspired by her uncle, who was a pro player - Brad Gilbert's bragging about defeating him in the 1988 Olympics - and is now a commentator.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    As a published woman in a community of technologically-average nerds, you have to be purposefully putting chum in the waters.

You bitch.

Okay fine, I'll bite, tell us the story!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for humoring me. Summer 2008, he's the No. 2 seed at the Indianapolis Tennis Championships. He was #29 in the world with one title, and no one recognized him on the practice courts. Completely unbothered on the grounds. In the semis, he plays Sam Querrey, a huge crowd favorite who had the Samurai cheering section with him - his buddies with costumes and drums in the stands. They were a huge hit all week.

Sam wins the first, but in the second, he starts to wilt in the brutal heat and humidity. Badly. Simon is fresh as a daisy. But Sam gets an opening with Simon serving 3-4, love-40. The crowd and the Samurai are going nuts - they're going to pull him over this finish line right here. Get the break and serve it out. Simon steps up to serve and has to wait for the crowd to die down. I happened to be standing alone on the side of the court on his baseline, remembering how no one even recognized this guy on practice courts and now not a single soul was cheering for him. I imagined him all alone in this strange city and I felt so bad for him. Hoosier Hospitality is a real thing! So as the crowd is roaring, Simon glances over at me, no one else around me, and despite the media badge around my neck, I gave him a fist pump and mouthed "Let's go!" Couldn't help it.

Simon served an ace. Then another one. He won the game. Sam folded. Simon won the tournament, then went on the run that put him in the Top 10. A couple days later, buoyed with confidence, he beat Federer in Canada (Fed would win the US Open a couple weeks later) and Simon made the semis, losing to Keifer in a 3rd set tiebreak. He won Bucharest, then beat Rafa in semis of Madrid in a 3rd set tiebreak (it was indoor hard, but still - Rafa in Madrid in a final-set TB). Made the ATP Cup, beat Roger AGAIN, and barely lost to Novak in the semis, 7-5 in the third.

Don't tell me that wasn't all because of my fist pump. If Simon loses that 3-4 love-40 game in Indy, does he go on that tear?
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-30-2020 at 08:11 AM.

If not for the first bump none of us probably remember him
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post

Don't tell me that wasn't all because of my fist pump. If Simon loses that 3-4 love-40 game in Indy, does he go on that tear?
    Can you come down here and stand on the side of my court? Just a few times... You don't even have to fist pump.
    Good story!
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Can you come down here and stand on the side of my court? Just a few times... You don't even have to fist pump.
    Good story!
    Haha, thanks! I think it only works on players I will later regret lifting up.

Where's Glenn to up the ante?

(he probably sparred with Laver AND Federer but I'll leave the details to him)
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

I used to like Simon - until I read Megan's story.
    How incredibly ungrateful of him to have never publicly thanked Megan! And how utterly selfish of him to have taken credit - and money and trophies - for his good results, without offering any of it to Megan.

Now that the true story of his success has been revealed, Simon will no doubt be booed mercilessly at every tournament he plays - except perhaps in his native France.

Come on, Gilles - if you're not going to publicly credit her, then have enough self-respect - and enough respect for the tennis community - to at the very least get a tattoo of Megan's face somewhere on your body. (And maybe a smaller scale tattoo of Sam's face right beside it, as thanks for his contribution, as well.)
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    I used to like Simon - until I read Megan's story.
    How incredibly ungrateful of him to have never publicly thanked Megan! And how utterly selfish of him to have taken credit - and money and trophies - for his good results, without offering any of it to Megan.

Now that the true story of his success has been revealed, Simon will no doubt be booed mercilessly at every tournament he plays - except perhaps in his native France.

Come on, Gilles - if you're not going to publicly credit her, then have enough self-respect - and enough respect for the tennis community - to at the very least get a tattoo of Megan's face somewhere on your body. (And maybe a smaller scale tattoo of Sam's face right beside it, as thanks for his contribution, as well.)
    I'm sure he was looking at someone hot in the stands just beyond me. Maybe that face.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-30-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

No, Megan, it was you. You're the new Lou Noritz!
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234