Agree Agree:  9
Likes Likes:  21
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: Men's Picks and Results - FOSP 2020

Sorry for the delay and for the jinx apparently - Well, um, the Suicide Pool is over on the men's side.

3 BERRETTINI pickers all stood and fell together. It was kind of beautiful.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

3 BERRETTINI pickers all stood and fell together. It was kind of beautiful.
    I confess I laughed when I woke up and saw that he'd lost in straights. I felt like he was the best of a bunch of possible picks I didn't like today, and I'm glad my fellow remaining contestants thought the same!

Quote Originally Posted by dollymix View Post
    I confess I laughed when I woke up and saw that he'd lost in straights. I felt like he was the best of a bunch of possible picks I didn't like today, and I'm glad my fellow remaining contestants thought the same!
    I mean it was so obvious he would win that match, then lose to CARRENO Busta in the next round, it was the most confident pick of my life! Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Had I been still alive I would have picked Djokovic today. Seriously...
    If I was still alive in the men's pool today, I would have picked my grandmother.

I actually considered Dimitrov, Rublev and Tsitsipas (of course all three won easily today after Berrettini lost) but after I saw that the other two picked Berrettini, I thought game theory dictated I follow. I did consider going super safe and hoping for carnage in the next 2-3 days, but I feel like you always play SPs to beat the draw (something Iíve never done on the menís side). Definitely questioning the Berrettini pick now, but happy to medal for the first time in about four years.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I don't care about beating draws. For me it's all about being the last man standing.
    If ever there was a slam to go hard earlier than you should, this would've been it.

Funny thing is we still may have our expected 3 semifinalists make it and no surprises at end of tournament.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes29 View Post
    I actually considered Dimitrov, Rublev and Tsitsipas (of course all three won easily today after Berrettini lost) but after I saw that the other two picked Berrettini, I thought game theory dictated I follow. I did consider going super safe and hoping for carnage in the next 2-3 days, but I feel like you always play SPs to beat the draw (something Iíve never done on the menís side). Definitely questioning the Berrettini pick now, but happy to medal for the first time in about four years.
    Iím the same. My last (and only) medal was when I beat the draw at Wimbledon in 2016 I think. Even when Iíve had chances to win a medal by picking a tournament favourite in an earlier round, I canít bring myself to do it

It is hard to makes pick with consequences: "you are very likely not beating the draws" early.
    I think until recently, especically men, the pools are decided at final or semi-final stages with people beating the draws half of the time.

Must be the October weather in France..lol

Also, pretty sure this is the first time the pool winners are determined before update week?

We started off 198 players, after 7 picks, if assuming success rate of 50/50, expected number of survivors now are
    198/2^7= 1.5 players.

So our players as a whole are doing worse than random number generators making picks.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567