Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  21
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: '20 RG Day 2 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    It's really just a group of 4-5 who are super loud. Isner has been the standard bearer for American men's tennis for about a decade, and there's a group of young guys who all came up together, and are all loud and privileged.
    No it's not. I'm sorry, but that's just naive. It may be 4-5 that are super loud. But there are 6-7 quiet ones who just happen to be the best of friends with those 4-5 super loud ones.

I don't know if Fritz is also part of this group, but he's the only one with some promise game wise. I don't think any of the others will ever seriously matter in a global sense.

Women is obviously a very different story.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Have you got any normal guys with at least middle of the road social/political views? Or are they all like this?
    Crossing my fingers for Nakashima. Querrey is from
    California, though I can’t imagine there are many political thoughts rattling around in his head. Could be wrong.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Crossing my fingers for Nakashima. Querrey is from
    California, though I can’t imagine there are many political thoughts rattling around in his head. Could be wrong.
    Does Sam even have... thoughts?
    Tiz the Dude! Now a winner after his second race!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    It's really just a group of 4-5 who are super loud. Isner has been the standard bearer for American men's tennis for about a decade, and there's a group of young guys who all came up together, and are all loud and privileged.

I think of it as the connection of a ton of circles in a Venn Diagram. This group grew up white, male, and rich. They've had a ton of money thrown at them at the first sign of success, are largely uneducated, mostly only hang out with each, and have a mentor who thinks the same way. Can we possibly check off more boxes on the official Empathy Crippler List? I think of the group as being similar to a fraternity at an Ivy League school.
    Is the mentor you are referring to JG?

Kevin

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

No one expected much of FAA on clay, and Nishioka is one of the tougher first-round opponents. I didn't see it so can't tell if it's an awful loss, but on paper it doesn't seem like one to me. That's a big reason I didn't take FAA in the SP today.
    Eh, I wouldn't reduce much to those terms. The specific circumstances (the match itself) always matter, and more than rankings and seedings. Nishioka is a very good grinder; FAA likes a faster court and is still not that experienced. Don't know where I heard or read that FAA wasn't expected to do a lot on clay, just not there yet, despite a final on clay last year (Lyon). Most of FAA's results have been on grass and hard court. And that 20 seed/ranking is a little dusty given the frozen rankings this year.

Edit: read some analysis of the match. FAA made a lot of errors and didn't play very well, but the court isn't one he can hit through, and against a grinder who came out playing well. FAA would have needed a veteran's performance today, and that, he's not.
    Don't know where that comes from. He's said in the past that clay is his favourite surface, and his scheduling has backed that up. In 2018 (when he was ranked in the 170's), after losing in French Open qualifying, he stayed in Europe through the end of July, playing 7 more clay tournaments (including a championship and a runner-up in the first two challengers). Last year he went to South America for the February clay swing, reaching the finals at the ATP 500 tournament. And while he won only three matches in the first four European clay tournaments last spring (before reaching the final in Lyon), the players he lost to were ranked 3 (Zverev), 7 (Nishikori), 2 (Nadal) and 15 (Coric).

I wasn't able to watch any tennis today, so no idea what happened.

I didn't know about the JJ Wolf thing. I used to try not to assume things until I knew for certain and give people the benefit of the doubt, but I think I'm going to have to just start assuming that I need to root against all the white male US tennis players. And Fabio.
    Anyway, here is what my limited google search uncovered, if you're interested.

http://www.kennethinthe212.com/2020/...nal-great.html

Kevin

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Leylah-Annie came back to win 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 over Magda Linette. She refused to lose.
    ^ It was a really gutsy comeback from Leylah.

As for Felix... as a couple of people have mentioned, he likes clay - and I don't know why anyone would say that little was expected from him at Roland Garros. He made the Junior final there at 15 years old (and nearly won it, as I recall).
    Yesterday, he played poorly against a tough opponent.
    Felix has the physical game to be a top 10 player, but he needs to mature mentally. He is still far too inconsistent - too many peaks and valleys.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Will matches just continue now that there are lights or is there a set cut off time where matches move to the next day?

A commentator said that there's usually a curfew because it's a residential area (kind of... it's in a big park...) but that the city waved the curfew for this year because of COVID (my guess is really because of weather)

With virtually no spectators much less noise is being generated.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Don't know where that comes from. He's said in the past that clay is his favourite surface, and his scheduling has backed that up. In 2018 (when he was ranked in the 170's), after losing in French Open qualifying, he stayed in Europe through the end of July, playing 7 more clay tournaments (including a championship and a runner-up in the first two challengers). Last year he went to South America for the February clay swing, reaching the finals at the ATP 500 tournament. And while he won only three matches in the first four European clay tournaments last spring (before reaching the final in Lyon), the players he lost to were ranked 3 (Zverev), 7 (Nishikori), 2 (Nadal) and 15 (Coric).

I wasn't able to watch any tennis today, so no idea what happened.
    Probably came from Tennis Channel. He did well on clay in 2019 (Rio final, Lyon title), when he was doing well about everywhere, but his results were still better on HC and grass.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    A commentator said that there's usually a curfew because it's a residential area (kind of... it's in a big park...) but that the city waved the curfew for this year because of COVID (my guess is really because of weather)
    Weird, I wouldn't consider it a residential area because there's so much park buffer.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    With virtually no spectators much less noise is being generated.
    I am so NOT going to miss Children's Wednesday...
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567