Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: '20 RG Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Totally. My point is precisely that. Sooner or later, and it will be sooner, he will not gain entry into any slam, and he will only be able to play a few 250's close to home. After that, if you are lucky you get to be tournament director at one tournament in Italy (Seppi), or you get to coach some young promising player that may or may not become very good, or very few other options.
    We forget that most of the players have little if any education other than a life in the tour. That is what surprises me when I see a player like Cybulkova flying in a private jet, after retirement. What line of steady income do you have after your WTA/ATP career is over and your were never a slam winner? I guess they do know what they are doing, but some of them, like Becker, simply don't.
    We agree. He is just cashing in his last checks. Let them.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

For those smarter than average there is also an investment income. Plus I guess one could always be a teaching pro in some tennis academy/club (not your own). Not a lot of money, but enough in the Western world.
    Roger forever

Seppi lives in Colorado most of the time now, not Italy. I am not sure, but I don't think he finished building his resort hotel or whatever he was planning yet, so I think he could stay in for another year or two and make a little bit more towards that goal. If he really falls out of the top 100 for a long period of time, maybe that'll change, because he really has already made plenty.

As for Cibulkova, Dominika obviously had a very successful career and though she didn't win a slam, she did win the WTA Finals, so one of the highest pay days on the tour. She owns a successful tennis academy in Bratislava. And she continues to have a lot of sponsors. She will have a very successful career as an influencer for quite some time, which means she will easily pull in 6 figures from that alone. So her income may not be what it was, but it is far from pedestrian even in retirement.

In Colorado? Interesting choice, I was not aware of that...
    Roger forever

So he wouldn't been complaining like Vika yesterday?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Not the best place to play tennis, for at least 6 months of the year. However, if he wants to switch to skiing, great choice.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

@suliso would have to weigh in to let us know, but I don't think where he is in Colorado is substantially different weather wise from wherever his home is in Northern Italy.

The Colorado thing is interesting, right? It was mentioned during one of his matches last year so I looked it up. I can't remember why, but him and his wife moved there temporarily but ended up really liking it and decided to stay. I think ATP had up a feature story about him at one point that detailed his Colorado life.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    @suliso would have to weigh in to let us know, but I don't think where he is in Colorado is substantially different weather wise from wherever his home is in Northern Italy.

The Colorado thing is interesting, right? It was mentioned during one of his matches last year so I looked it up. I can't remember why, but him and his wife moved there temporarily but ended up really liking it and decided to stay. I think ATP had up a feature story about him at one point that detailed his Colorado life.
    I guess it depends where exactly in South Tirol and where exactly in Colorado (I've been to neither place). Bolzano which is listed as his birth place is in the plains already (elevation ca 900 feet). Likely less severe winters than Denver.
    Roger forever

I looked it up and found a more recent ATP feature. They went initially because his wife was getting a master's degree at U of Colorado. He's in Boulder, Colorado. He mentioned the Dolomites when referencing the area he lives in Italy.

I had no idea ATP did multiple stories on him over the years. Who knew?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123