Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who are the favorites for Roland Garros?

I'm curious who everyone thinks are the favorites to win or go deep at the French Open.

The male field is pretty much unchanged in terms of favorites, with Nadal being a huge favorite, and Djokovic and Thiem being significant contenders. Who's in the next tier down from them? Someone's gotta get that fourth SF spot.

For the women's side, I think Halep is a pretty significant favorite. In the next tier down, I think I'd put Svitolina, Bertens, and Muguruza. Just below them, I'd put Pliskova, Azarenka, and Serena

Re: Who are the favorites for Roland Garros?

Give us till Tuesday, after Rafa and Nole play the Rome final.
    Svitolina has never been any good on clay. I would not put her, for example, above Mugu.
    Halep, Mugu, Mertens. And of course, the 16 dark horses, one of which will be the actual winner.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 09-20-2020 at 06:06 AM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Bookies are not giving a chance to anyone outside of Rafa Nole and Thiem, and rightly so. I long ago gave up guessing the female winner of any slam

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Svitolina has never been a any good on clay. I would not put her, for example, above Mugu.
    Halep, Mugu, Mertens. And of course, the 16 dark horses, one of which will be the actual winner.
    That wasn't too shabby, as far as jinxes go...

Djokovic slightly over Nadal and more substantially over Thiem. For women I can only say it won't be a first time Slam winner.
    Roger forever

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

With the way that Rafa played today vs. Shwartzman, I would think the odds of him winning Roland Garros just changed.

On the women's side... Gee, what a surprise - Andreescu isn't playing.
    A couple of more missed tournaments, and people will be starting to wonder when she's going to retire from tennis! At 20 years old... sigh...

Also, with the manner in which virus cases are increasing in France, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Roland Garros is either cancelled before it begins, or if it's not played all the way through the 2 weeks.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Svitolina has never been a any good on clay. I would not put her, for example, above Mugu.
    Not saying Svitolina's a favorite but I'd hesitate to say she has never been any good on clay.

She's won four titles on clay: Marrakech 2015; Istanbul 2017; Rome 2017, defeating Pliskova, Muguruza and Halep in the final; and Rome 2018, defeating Halep in the final.

She also reached the QF of the French Open twice, losing to Ivanovic in 2015 and to Halep in 2017.

Although she didn't look good yesterday, it was her first tournament since March and Vondrousova was a finalist at the French Open last year and looks to have recovered from her wrist surgery last September.
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2019

Quote Originally Posted by 3mlm View Post
    Not saying Svitolina's a favorite but I'd hesitate to say she has never been any good on clay.

She's won four titles on clay: Marrakech 2015; Istanbul 2017; Rome 2017, defeating Pliskova, Muguruza and Halep in the final; and Rome 2018, defeating Halep in the final.

She also reached the QF of the French Open twice, losing to Ivanovic in 2015 and to Halep in 2017.

Although she didn't look good yesterday, it was her first tournament since March and Vondrousova was a finalist at the French Open last year and looks to have recovered from her wrist surgery last September.
    OK. I did not do my homework. Indeed, that is not bad. Maybe not the return of Graf or Seles, but good enough to contend at RG. I stand corrected.

Muguruza looked good despite losing to Halep today. Definitely in that small group slightly behind Simona.
    Roger forever

Hard pressed for me to look beyond Rafa Novak & Team for the men's title. I'll agree with suliso on the women's side and add it won't be Serena either. Even though Halep Serena Pliskova would be my three most likely to...
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

It will depend on whose side Thiem is. Whoever gets him in the Semi, will be hard pressed for the final. That will be a tough match (Vs Thiem).

Thiem is definitely not winning RG. Virtually nobody wins the next Slam after the first. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Hewitt - none of them could.
    Roger forever

Most likely an early loss for Dominic. R16 perhaps or maybe QF's.
    Roger forever

I think the fact that it's being played later when there is a much greater chance of having days with rain and overcast, cold conditions will work against Rafa.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm curious who everyone thinks are the favorites to win or go deep at the French Open.

The male field is pretty much unchanged in terms of favorites, with Nadal being a huge favorite, and Djokovic and Thiem being significant contenders. Who's in the next tier down from them? Someone's gotta get that fourth SF spot.

For the women's side, I think Halep is a pretty significant favorite. In the next tier down, I think I'd put Svitolina, Bertens, and Muguruza. Just below them, I'd put Pliskova, Azarenka, and Serena
    Women- Pliskova, Azarenka, Kvitova. Bertens, maybe, but we haven't seen enough of her yet. Maybe Kerber, who expressed great confidence about RG a month ago.

Next tier - Muchova, fifth-best player in New York. Kenin, despite the dreadful matches of late - she beat Serena last year at RG. Anisimova, semifinalist last year. Shelby Rogers, she likes clay.

Wild cards: Brady, Teichmann, Sabalenka, Vondrusova, Keys (depending on the neck), Konta, Sloane, Clijsters (is she playing?), Andreescu (ditto)

Men - Wawrinka, Zverev, Shapo, Schwartzman, Carreno Busta. Clay isn't Medvedev's favorite surface, right?
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-20-2020 at 05:38 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast