Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Who are the favorites for Roland Garros?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    I think the fact that it's being played later when there is a much greater chance of having days with rain and overcast, cold conditions will work against Rafa.

Kevin
    I asked a German player about this, and he thought the conditions would be similar, just maybe windier. That was a couple months ago, before the short-term forecast. Rafa did well in the wild wind last year, remember the crazy semi vs. Federer with dirt flying in their faces?
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-21-2020 at 06:36 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Denis doesn't yet have the maturity or discipline to win a Major (though his is improving in both those elements).

Don't count Felix out... he almost won the Junior Roland Garros at 15 years old.

Speaking of Junior Roland Garros... Leylah won it last year (at 16 years old) - without losing a set. I hope she does well and wins a few rounds at the big tournament this year.

As I mentioned in an above post, the perpetually injured Andreescu is not playing.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Novak. Novak. Novak. Even when he is playing not at his best, he is still better than most of the rest.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Novak. Novak. Novak. Even when he is playing not at his best, he is still better than most of the rest.
    I'm still taking Rafa until he gives us a reason to doubt (the Rome quarter was not a reason, for me). His B+ game beats Novak's A game on Chartrier, I think. Draw will matter a lot - where Thiem lands.

I don't take TOO much stock in Rafa's loss at Rome; however that loss came on a humid and wet night. Comms were saying that Schwartzman troubled Rafa taknig a set at RG a couple of years back under those same conditions when the match was postponed. Next day was hotter and drier and Rafa cruised.

So, if weather conditions are as mentioned upthread, it could be something to consider when evaluating his chances.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I still don't think you can bet against Rafa when it comes to a five-setter on clay. On Chartier no less.

Rafa played two amazing matches and then a rusty one.

He'll be fine.

Also, Rome isn't his favorite. He's been the least successful there with the super slow conditions, winning it only 9 times, Lol.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Also, Rome isn't his favorite. He's been the least successful there with the super slow conditions, winning it only 9 times, Lol.
    Not so, Madrid is the least successful with five titles.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Not so, Madrid is the least successful with five titles.
    It was hard court until 2009, fwiw. He won it once on hard, but most years didn't get past the quarters. Since then - 4 titles, 3 finals, 1 semi and 1 round of 16.

Interesting that Murray beat him there in consecutive years, on clay.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    It was hard court until 2009, fwiw. He won it once on hard, but most years didn't get past the quarters. Since then - 4 titles, 3 finals, 1 semi and 1 round of 16.

Interesting that Murray beat him there in consecutive years, on clay.
    It's not counted in statistics like that. For statistical purposes it's clay court Masters #2 Hamburg/Madrid. Nadal has won this #2 masters 5 times - once while it was held in Hamburg and four times after the move to Madrid.

Hardcourt masters #8 (Stuttgart/Madrid/Shanghai) Rafa has won only once and when it was held in Madrid (2005).
    Roger forever

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12