Agree Agree:  24
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Re: '20 USO Day 13 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Global superstar. Surprised to hear recently that no one on my USTA teams likes her - so white women in their 40s, 50s. Probably some Karens in the mix but not all.
    Iím surprised that none of my friends or colleagues even know who she is. She doesnít get many column inches here in the UK

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

First thing Naomi said standing at the microphone after the match- in response to Azarenka saying that she hopes she and Naomi will meet in more Finals:
    "Umm, first of all, I want to congratulate Vika. I actually DON'T want to play you in more finals. I didn't really enjoy that."
    She then went on to say how it was inspiring to play Azarenka, and that she had watched Azakenka play at the US Open, and that she learned a lot from her - and it was great to have the opportunity to play her.

Then, when asked what she was thinking when she laid down on the court about a minute and a half after she won, she said:
    "Umm, I always see everyone sort of collapse after match point, but I always think that I may injure myself, so I wanted to do it safely."

Later, in the ESPN interview:
    "... I just want to try to mature more as a person, and do better in interviews and stop saying 'Umm' and 'Like' so much."

Such genuineness.
    So refreshing.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-13-2020 at 12:51 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Women's Singles - Final
    [4] N. Osaka (JPN) d V. Azarenka (BLR) 16 63 63

Wheelchair Women's Singles - Final
    [1] D. De Groot (NED) d. [2] Y. Kamiji (JPN) 63 63

Wheelchair Men's Quad Doubles - Final
    D. Alcott (AUS) / A. Lapthorn (GBR) d. S. Schroder (NED) / D. Wagner (USA) 36 64 10-8

Wheelchair Men's Doubles - Final
    [1] A. Hewitt / G. Reid (GBR) d. [2] S. Houdet / N. Pfeifer (FRA) 64 61

Wheelchair Men's Quad Singles - Round Robin

[1] D. Alcott (AUS) d. D. Wagner 61 67(8) 60
    S. Schroder (NED) d. [2] A. Lapthorne (GBR) 62 61

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    First thing Naomi said standing at the microphone after the match- in response to Azarenka saying that she hopes she and Naomi will meet in more Finals:
    "Umm, first of all, I want to congratulate Vika. I actually DON'T want to play you in more finals. I didn't really enjoy that."
    She then went on to say how it was inspiring to play Azarenka, and that she had watched Azakenka play at the US Open, and that she learned a lot from her - and it was great to have the opportunity to play her.

Then, when asked what she was thinking when she laid down on the court about a minute and a half after she won, she said:
    "Umm, I always see everyone sort of collapse after match point, but I always think that I may injure myself, so I wanted to do it safely."

Later, in the ESPN interview:
    "... I just want to try to mature more as a person, and do better in interviews and stop saying 'Umm' and 'Like' so much."

Such genuineness.
    So refreshing.
    For those of us that like NORMAL, that do not want our dials to be set at 11, she is awesome. And for those that like the soft-spoken, thoughtful honest answer, we can't ask for more.
    If she ever shakes hands with Kyrgios, they will obliterate each other in a matter-antimatter explosion.
    (And remember, I like Kyrgios. Sometimes)
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I didn't mean the final--the whole tournament had a bunch of high quality matches.
    Okay yes, and the quality of womens' matches overall was WAY higher than mens'.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    Yes, this was hilarious!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    Have you asked them why they don't like her? I'm guessing you'll get answers that don't really make sense because it's something much more obvious they can't or won't cop to.

Kevin
    No, didn't ask. It was over text and I didn't want to get into it. Guessing they don't like her personality, which a lot of people find refreshing and fun, but others could find the halting shyness grating. I hope it's just that.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

My husband has interpreted her halting shyness as her being ďdumbĒ. I donít think itís true, but Iím exposed to many more college age kids and see how differently this generation communicates. It can be hard for older generations to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    My husband has interpreted her halting shyness as her being “dumb”. I don’t think it’s true, but I’m exposed to many more college age kids and see how differently this generation communicates. It can be hard for older generations to connect.
    Definitely a factor. So many factors. She is definitely not dumb. It's easy for me to forget that a lot of tennis fans aren't steeped in coverage, particularly online, like we are. Some people also don't like to be commanded to like someone, so a media darling is an immediate turn-off. They don't want to drink the Kool-Aid.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    My husband has interpreted her halting shyness as her being “dumb”. I don’t think it’s true, but I’m exposed to many more college age kids and see how differently this generation communicates. It can be hard for older generations to connect.
    No... Naomi is not dumb. But I can see how someone might think that she's very 'simple'.
    She's actually the opposite of 'dumb' or 'simple'. She thinks before she speaks. The world would be a better place if more people did the same.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

I loved her reply to that dumb question of "What do you think was your message with your face masks?" (or it was something like that). Her reply ("What did YOU get?") was an absolute WTF answer, and way smarter than what the question was.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123