Agree Agree:  25
Likes Likes:  48
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Re: ATP M1000, WTA P5 Roma 9/14 - 9/20 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Musetti cuts his ranking from 249 to 179. Such a pity that he won't get to even play RG qualifying.

If he wins his next match, he'll move up to 141. He plays Koepfer, fellow qualifier and the next lowest ranked player left.
    Is there a possibility for a late WC or SE into RG for Musetti?

He wasn't ranked high enough for RG qualifying when entry lists were made. If they go next man down on the ranking list from the original entry not current rankings, I think he's a good deal back, not just a few players. His ranking has increased in recent weeks, commentators said he played Challengers in Italy recently.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Musetti wins 6-0 7-6

I'd never heard of him either. Sounds like he's been a top prospect for a while, but is just now transitioning to the main tour.
    I recall seeing a little post about upcoming Italian players, probably early this year but maybe the last. Don't recall it exactly, but something along the lines of Italy have the top-ranked player under 19 (that would be Sinner), a couple of the top under 18 (Musetti and Zeppieri), top under 17 (Nardi), a top junior (Darderi) as well as new top-player (Berrettini). I'm kind of backfilling the names and exact details now, but the point was that there were several rising prospects in Italian tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post

He wasn't ranked high enough for RG qualifying when entry lists were made. If they go next man down on the ranking list from the original entry not current rankings, I think he's a good deal back, not just a few players. His ranking has increased in recent weeks, commentators said he played Challengers in Italy recently.
    Not that I can see. I was wondering if any WC recipient is close to getting in on their own ranking to free up another WC. I think the closest is a QWC who's about 12 spots away.

Basically, a WC would have to pull out, and soon.

Plus, there is a bit of precedent when Shapo was given that USO WC a few years ago after his wonderful run at the Rogers Cup. But it boils down to what Charlie says. By now it may be too late.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

It's also not that important. If all goes well we'll see Musetti play for another 13-15 years (50-60 Slams).
    Roger forever

That's one mother of a jinx!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Too bad we'll have to wait 10+ years to find out
    Roger forever

Koepfer clobbered a compromised Musetti today (shoulder) to reach his first career QF.

I wrote about Koepfer at the U.S. Open last year, as he is the only ATP player I have interviewed and know. He had an excellent college career at Tulane and had his breakthrough in Queens, reaching the fourth round and going up a set and a break on Medvedev before eventually losing in a fourth-set tiebreak. He was never going to win that match but he acquitted himself well.

Then he did next to nothing in the 12 months that followed as he recalibrated his goals and adjusted to playing in main tour events. Out of nowhere, he has won six consecutive matches in Rome. He has the game to be a top 50 player.

It was too much for Musetti today, but I expect to see him in the top 100 (maybe even top 50) a year from now.
    Roger forever

I got Koepfer at 2-1 so am well happy with that result. Musetti play good in spells from what I managed to see this week but he got hella lucky with the draw, and I expected his run to end against a player who has been winning matches recently

I've never heard a draw with Wawrinka and Nishikori called lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    Koepfer clobbered a compromised Musetti today (shoulder) to reach his first career QF.

I wrote about Koepfer at the U.S. Open last year, as he is the only ATP player I have interviewed and know. He had an excellent college career at Tulane and had his breakthrough in Queens, reaching the fourth round and going up a set and a break on Medvedev before eventually losing in a fourth-set tiebreak. He was never going to win that match but he acquitted himself well.

Then he did next to nothing in the 12 months that followed as he recalibrated his goals and adjusted to playing in main tour events. Out of nowhere, he has won six consecutive matches in Rome. He has the game to be a top 50 player.
    Well he's not as shiny and new, but we can root for him also (especially since he's up against Djokovic next)! Go Dominik!

Svitolina vs. Kuznetsova is a good one to watch if you can. I really wish TC Plus would add a monthly option.

I've never heard a draw with Wawrinka and Nishikori called lucky.
    They were both playing for practice rather than to win, that’s how their body language came across anyway. Plus they’re both ancient compared to Musetti

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Too bad we'll have to wait 10+ years to find out
    And you realize you just jinxed all of us, don't you!!!
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast