Agree Agree:  14
Likes Likes:  9
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Bye ATP PC Hello PTPA

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^ That's just a silly statement.
    No-one is saying that problems did not exist, and that people did not abuse of things, before the internet. But the internet being so instant and far reaching possesses the potential to cause many problems when abused. And it most definitely is being abused a great deal. Because that's what humans do.

Ask any sociologist worth a damn about the harms of 'social media' due to it being inherently abused.
    To me, the negatives outweigh the positives - by a long shot.
    Since there was no social media in 1993, I assume his was a facetious statement.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

It looks as if sarcasm is dead. There is an expression(?) used to indicate sarcasm on social media.

I understood what was meant though. That someone was driven to hate Seles so much prior to the world wide web speaks volumes and shows that nut jobs will find a way no matter what. People have forgotten how intense that rivalry was and how much it meant to some. The "wars" between the fandoms of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic pale in comparison.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    It looks as if sarcasm is dead. There is an expression(?) used to indicate sarcasm on social media.
    /s is what you are thinking of.

I was half being facetious, half not. Agree that nut jobs will find a way no matter what.

The half facetious part is saying whenever something bad happens "we have 'social media' to thank for this." I don't disagree that it can definitely be harmful, but it is what's here now and that's what people will have to get used to. We're all at the very least talking on a forum on the internet which years ago people would've had same reaction to as well. Before that people probably thought the same of tv, and radio (killing the art of conversation maybe?) Vilify all the new fads you want...they aren't going to go away and I roll my eyes when I hear mentioned in posts over and over and over again. You can "Hope that Naomi doesn’t get caught up in the ‘fame’ trap of being a top player, and directing the spotlight onto herself via ‘social media’ photos and other self-serving actions" all you want... if she does that doesn't mean she isn't going to automatically be a bad ambassador for the game. That's how a large portion of the world is now, especially the younger ones.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    /s is what you are thinking of.

I was half being facetious, half not. Agree that nut jobs will find a way no matter what.

The half facetious part is saying whenever something bad happens "we have 'social media' to thank for this." I don't disagree that it can definitely be harmful, but it is what's here now and that's what people will have to get used to. We're all at the very least talking on a forum on the internet which years ago people would've had same reaction to as well. Before that people probably thought the same of tv, and radio (killing the art of conversation maybe?) Vilify all the new fads you want...they aren't going to go away and I roll my eyes when I hear mentioned in posts over and over and over again. You can "Hope that Naomi doesn’t get caught up in the ‘fame’ trap of being a top player, and directing the spotlight onto herself via ‘social media’ photos and other self-serving actions" all you want... if she does that doesn't mean she isn't going to automatically be a bad ambassador for the game. That's how a large portion of the world is now, especially the younger ones.
    Just watched the Netflix documentary on this.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-23-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

'Social media' has caused types of harm which didn't happen before. As but one example of this, it makes it much easier to 'bully' people - and, consequently, much easier for people to be bullied.

It also allows children the opportunity to find others who will encourage harmful and unhealthy behaviour. The 'traditional' ways for kids to find these people still exist - but in addition to that, they can find many more such people - and find them very quickly and extremely easily.
    And it can have tragic results. Vulnerable people are hurt more today because 'social media' is a very effective 'weapon' to use to hurt them - one which didn't exist before, and so there were fewer vulnerable people hurt less often before. People can deny it all you like, but the basic facts are there - 2+2=4.

You can find a story like this every few days. That was not the case before...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/social-med...144943484.html

And, for those who think that 'social media' had an altruistic origin and goals, you're quite mistaken. Read this - about how facebook was created specifically to very purposefully exploit people's vulnerabilities and insecurities - very well calculated, and very effective... And you can bet your behind that every other 'social media' entity takes exactly the same approach - because it works...

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/se...153750228.html

Last edited by Deuce*; 09-25-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345