Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2020 USO Bracket Prediction Challenge

Entry or Revision deadline is the start of tournament play: 11:00AM in New York on Monday the 31st. Note what time that is for you locally.

Entry Form: Deadline Start of play on day one
    [Please note there is some shuffling with late withdraws! If you do enter well before deadline, please remember to try to revisit and re-submit your bracket after changes occur to correct your entry. Brackets can be edited from the score tracking page before the start of play as long as your cookies are intact/match]
    ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...&tournament=US
    WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...&tournament=US

Picks And Score Tracking:

View ATP Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...nt=US&tour=ATP
    View WTA Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...nt=US&tour=WTA

What is it?
    This is a separate prediction contest for Slam events. Predict the full brackets for ATP and/or WTA events, and earn bonus points in later rounds for guessing or getting close to game totals for matches from the Quarterfinals on. This IS a medal awarding contest. A medal will be awarded to the overall score leader for each WTA and ATP top scorers.

How does it work?
    After the bracket is finalized and prior to the first round of play, participants select match winners for the full bracket. Additionally, participants are asked to guess how many games will be played in each of the QF, SF, and finals matches. Brackets for WTA and ATP events are separate.

Points are awarded as follows:
    Each correct bracket pick (having the correct player in that part of the draw) awards one point for each slot correctly filled for the first round. The second round results increase to 2 points each, third round 3 points each, and so on. This forms the majority of the overall prediction score.

Bonus points are awarded for how close you come to game totals in each of those matches. This is regardless of who ends up actually contesting them, so you can still earn points here even if your player picks are off.
    5 bonus points for getting the exact game count in that match
    4 for being within one game
    3 for being within 3 games
    2 for being within 5 games
    and 1 point for being within 7 games
    If a retirement takes place, the number of games played until the retirement is the 'correct' answer for that match, and a walkover is treated as playing 0 games.
    Prediction and bonus points are added together to form a final score for the event.

There will be a pick tracker so you can follow scoring as it occurs, complete with some plots of the data and breakdowns of choices in real time. Other player picks are not visible to you until after the deadline passes.

What do I need to do to participate?
    Nothing beforehand as long as you have a valid TAT account and are logged in.
    Entries will need to be made before the start of main draw play and a thread will be up in order to do that at least one day prior to the start of first round play.
    Entries may be redone as many times as you like up until the deadline (start of play the first day).

As before, any feedback is welcome.

This thread is intended for discussion and questions regarding the challenge.

Thanks, and good luck to all!
    I disapprove of this message

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: 2020 USO Bracket Prediction Challenge

Updated for Paire withdraw and other things I may have missed in the interim.

Remember, to revise an existing bracket entry, use the picks tracking page before the deadline and select the "revise/edit this entry" option toward the bottom. (If you have the same cookie)
    Last edited by James7; 08-30-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Checking in with scores pre-QFs

ATP contest has tenedab in the lead by 2 points ahead of Omegadoom.
    Just 3 players picked a non-Djokovic champion. 2 Medvedev and one Thiem.
    jatagen and tolulops among those who had also put Tsitsipas in the final instead of Djokovic, so no real extreme help there.

WTA contest is actually seeing higher scores for a change. Dollymix leads tenedab there by 4 points.
    Final predictions there were much more varied.
    http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...nt=US&rid=R8_1
    Last edited by James7; 09-08-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Updated scores pre-final.

Men's contest will be coming down to the number of games in the final, it seems. I hadn't been paying close attention and was surprised I jumped into a bare single point lead ahead of tenedab and Omegadoom there.
    Only jatagen has Thiem as champion remaining, but is out of the lead position scoring.
    I think the winner is decided by whether there are more than 37 games played in the final, and by how many more beyond that there are if so.

On the WTA side tenedab holds a two point lead over daveg. Dave had predicted both finalists correctly. Both have Osaka as champion, and the same game count in the final. And both are 10 points clear of third place, so I do think that's probably it for the contest. But we'll see if there is anything I missed after the fact.
    Last edited by James7; 09-12-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Congratulations, tenedab, for winning the WTA contest with a final score of 171.

Best bonus game scoring was achieved by both Drop-shot and Suliso, but there is no award for guessing numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Updated scores pre-final.

Men's contest will be coming down to the number of games in the final, it seems. I hadn't been paying close attention and was surprised I jumped into a bare single point lead ahead of tenedab and Omegadoom there.
    Only jatagen has Thiem as champion remaining, but is out of the lead position scoring.
    I think the winner is decided by whether there are more than 37 games played in the final, and by how many more beyond that there are if so.

On the WTA side tenedab holds a two point lead over daveg. Dave had predicted both finalists correctly. Both have Osaka as champion, and the same game count in the final. And both are 10 points clear of third place, so I do think that's probably it for the contest. But we'll see if there is anything I missed after the fact.
    I was tied for last after the first round, so I stopped paying much attention. So, I am surprised that I ended up in second by two points. Congratulations to tenedab.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Congratulations, tenedab for winning the ladies side!

Great Job!

Well done tenedab
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Looks like I edged out tenedab by 1 point, and Omegadoom by 2 in the ATP contest.

Best Bonus scoring was by ptmcmahon.

Congrats to the winners and thanks for playing!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Congratulations to James7 and tenedab! Your medals have been awarded!
    Tiz the Dude! Now a winner after his second race!

Thank you all. Congratulations and thanks to James for winning and running this contest!

Congrats James and thanks for running this
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Congratulations, James7 for winning the men's side and thanks for running this contest!

Great Job

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Looks like I edged out tenedab by 1 point, and Omegadoom by 2 in the ATP contest.

Best Bonus scoring was by ptmcmahon.

Congrats to the winners and thanks for playing!
    First thing I did well all year!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!