Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

2020/2021 NFL Fantasy

Dear all:
    As we are approaching football season, if there is one, I wanted to know how many of our players will return for a third season. Two questions:
    One player from last year stated that he will not return as he did not like the NFL FF league. if we want to change, we can.
    Let us know.
    Kirkus has managed the league in the past. If he wants to return to that position, and the majority demands such a return, a coup d'etat is easy. Let me know.
    Otherwise, you will have to put up with my crap.

Regards,
    The Commish

PS: For anybody that wants to join. There are slots available. Just mention it here in this thread, or send me a Private Message. All that will be needed will be an e-mail address for me to send you a contact/join link.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 08-30-2020 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Upgrade info for new participants
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Re: 2020/2021 NFL Fantasy

Bring it on, Commish. The Seasnakes are ready to come out of hibernation
    This is not the bouquet you toss

I'm ready to defend my championship title.

Will keep bumping this thread.
    I sent a mail to all participants, as only three of us have replied so far.
    Of course, to anybody else reading this thread: there are openings in our league, if you want to join. Just reply to this thread or send me a PM or let us know, so I can send an invite. The more, the better.

Hey Commish -

The Boston Blizzard is back baby!!! I'm ready to go!!! Let's do this!!!

Club Pro
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Will keep bumping this thread.
    I sent a mail to all participants, as only three of us have replied so far
    Thanks for the reminder message!

I enjoyed last year and I'm likewise ready to return for another year of FF fun.

I'll have to look at our league's NFL.com fantasy website to refresh my memory of the settings (for scoring, roster limits, etc.) we used last year.

I don't remember if we had an IR slot, but having one (or more) is an addition / adjustment many are making for FF this year, to account for players potentially moving on and off of the reserve-COVID list (for fantasy purposes, I know ESPN considers players on this list to be IR-eligible, so I imagine NFL.com will as well).

-Chad

Jeff will join our league. If I remember well, Mike (Dirtbags) said he would not participate this year, as he did not like the NFL's FF settings, so Jeff can take his spot. That would make at least 6 of us.

I think I'm out for this year (Beaver Nation). I'm having a hard time getting motivated for a fantasy season which is surely going to have games postponed and many players testing positive for COVID.
    Go Pack Go!

I also am out - can't get motivated under the circumstances.

With that preface - I will still play if we need entrants...

After the events of this week, I am out. Also, would it be wise to cancel the season?
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

I can see your points.
    Indeed, under the circumstances, playing FF seems as frivolous as any activity. I am also debating on, even if the season gets to be played, boycott watching at a minimum some games. Jerry Jones, as always, remains a repulsive person with his stance regarding players' protests, so I will very likely not watch any Cowboy games. Nothing that will upset the order of the world, but that being said, there is so little one can do.
    With that being said, the question must be asked: do we play the league this year? SHOULD we play the league this year? It is not a trivial thing, in the sense that here at TAT we understand the importance of things. If the three of you do not find it appropriate to play, plus Jazmin, who has basically disappeared from the forum, is also gone, I believe there is a valid ground for this decision.
    I will wait for some more opinions from the group.
    Thanks for your reply.

With that being said, the question must be asked: do we play the league this year? SHOULD we play the league this year? It is not a trivial thing, in the sense that here at TAT we understand the importance of things. If the three of you do not find it appropriate to play, plus Jazmin, who has basically disappeared from the forum, is also gone, I believe there is a valid ground for this decision.
    I will wait for some more opinions from the group.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I needed a break from the forum. Maybe I'll write something about why I thought it was a good idea, haven't decided.

For fantasy football, I'm in if we go forward. No different than participating in anything fantasy tennis for me.

Quite frankly, I could use a bit of frivolity. Life doesn't have to suck 24/7 just because we're in a national apocalyptic tailspin
    This is not the bouquet you toss

With this, I gather we can go ahead and do the following.
    I will remove Tog and Patrick from the teams. Jazmin remains, and fastback I will keep because otherwise we have the dreaded odd number of players. I will ask Kirkus to place a banner during the USO to see if we can recruit somebody to replace fastback, and maybe other people may want to join.
    We have to decide on draft day. The first game will be on Sept 10th, so I would recommend we hold the draft on the Monday before (Sept 7). That way we can see how many people want to join. Time for the draft could be around 19:00 EST, unless some people can't or prefer a different schedule.

Club Pro
    Awards Showcase

Jazmin remains, and fastback I will keep because otherwise we have the dreaded odd number of players. I will ask Kirkus to place a banner during the USO to see if we can recruit somebody to replace fastback, and maybe other people may want to join.
    The banner during the US Open is a good idea -- the Grand Slams are what often remind me to come browse the forum and do the suicide pool and prediction contests.

For the sort of FF league we've done the past few years (a redraft league), we might have an easier time attracting and then retaining players if the settings (roster positions and size, and especially for scoring) we use line up with those typically used by one of the main FF platforms.

Main ways that standardized scoring helps: (1) people can look up FF player rankings, projections, advice, etc and use it without needing to account for skewing effects of custom settings; (2) the default settings have evolved over the years the hobby has existed, during which time the typical scoring conventions have grown to more or less balance the value of players at the different positions. For example, the most recent major change towards accomplishing this has been PPR scoring becoming the norm (by elevating the value of WRs and TEs relative to RBs, and also adding value to "passing down" RBs (like James White) relative to "bell cow" RBs (like Derrick Henry).

The ideal roster size / mix of positions used varies with the number of teams in the fantasy league, such that the "undrafted" / unclaimed players available to pick up on waivers at any time is neither too rich with talent (if there's an over-supply of high-scoring players freely available, each week's fantasy results tend to be a dice roll) nor too shallow (which makes it overly difficult for fantasy players to use the waiver wire, trades, etc to come back from the loss of key players to injury or from poor drafting). This is also why most FF redraft leagues (such as ours) have 10 or 12 teams and use something close to the conventional set of positions (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 D, 1 K, and 6 or 7 on the bench).

Leagues that have 14 or 16 teams tend to modify in one direction (e.g. fewer bench players); leagues with 8 teams tend to modify in the other (e.g. tweaking the rosters by adding more positions to those that start/score each week).

If we decide to play with 8 teams, there are different ways to add to each team's roster while keeping things balanced -- one I've never done but that gets high marks from many FF players includes each team starting two QBs each week. One of the reasons I hear its proponents praise the 2-QB format is that the QB is elevated in importance (in drafting and waivers/trades) to a place of equal (or perhaps even slightly higher) footing with RBs, which better reflects their importance in the hierarchies of most actual NFL teams. Alternatively (or additionally), each team in an 8-team league can have 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE) starters instead of 1, and/or start 3 WRs instead of 2.

For those that enjoy more scoring (which I think was the preference behind our 2019 league's customized scoring settings), an alternative way of incorporating more scoring while using standard/default scoring settings and maintaining balance (even if we play with 10 or 12 teams again) is to change one or two of the players on the bench into weekly starters. I've never played in a 2-QB league, but I have played in a 12-team league that (compared to the 2019 TAT league) added both a second Flex (RB/WR/TE) as well as an additional WR/RB slot to the weekly starters. It also seemed to promote trading as the season went on, as there was more flexibility / interchangeability between what are already the most common skill positions (WR and RB) -- I really liked that format, though I can't say with certainty that it was the settings and not the people that made it so enjoyable (if I had to guess, I'd say they were both pluses).

I don't have terribly strong opinions on any of the above, but as a somewhat more experienced FF player, those are the things that came to mind as potential changes to make a FF league more attractive to new players / more balanced, competitive and enjoyable (and therefore more likely to endure year to year in some form).

If we end up with a smaller number of players, there's no reason not to experiment with different options from year to year, as long as there's consensus / buy-in from everyone -- no reason not to tailor each league to the preferences of its players.

We have to decide on draft day. The first game will be on Sept 10th, so I would recommend we hold the draft on the Monday before (Sept 7). That way we can see how many people want to join. Time for the draft could be around 19:00 EST, unless some people can't or prefer a different schedule.
    I have a conflict on Monday 9/7 -- I'm free that Tuesday or Wednesday, though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast