Agree Agree:  53
Likes Likes:  69
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast

Re: '20 USO Lists, OoP's and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    If Nadal and other do not play, not because injury but because of COVID, and Novak wins the USO, do we validate it in the Slams' count?
    And if he doesn't, and one of the new kids win it, do we?
    (Serious question. I do not why not. Then again, if it turns into the US Nationals, I don't know)
    The same could be said of the French (especially since we do not know who will be playing yet).
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

If Nadal and other do not play, not because injury but because of COVID, and Novak wins the USO, do we validate it in the Slams' count?
    And if he doesn't, and one of the new kids win it, do we?
    (Serious question. I do not why not. Then again, if it turns into the US Nationals, I don't know)
    ^ I think a more pertinent question is 'If Serena wins, is it as valid as it would have been in previous years?'
    Yes, only one top 10 women's player will be missing from the draw (as of now) - but who's to say that one of the other absentees would not have defeated Serena? Or that one of the absent players would not have rearranged the draw if she were present and won a round or two?
    As well, there is not only the absent players to consider insofar as whether the title win would be 'valid' or not... This tournament will be run under very, very different conditions than past US Opens. It could reasonably argued that it will be the US Open in name only, with so many elements being different than they are normally.

To me, whoever wins - on both the Men's and Women's sides - should have an asterisk beside their name, explaining the extreme circumstances and conditions of this year's tournament.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 08-04-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^ I think a more pertinent question is 'If Serena wins, is it as valid as it would have been in previous years?'.
    Compared to the level of competition that Margaret Court faced, it’s more valid than many of her wins. If this becomes a subject of conversation when comparing the two records, I’ll scream.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Compared to the level of competition that Margaret Court faced, it’s more valid than many of her wins. If this becomes a subject of conversation when comparing the two records, I’ll scream.
    ^ For reasons which are obvious, comparing eras in this manner is, has always been, and will always be, both impossible and foolish.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The asterisks next to Margaret Court far exceed any asterisk that would be next to a Serena win at the U.S. Open.

That said, I am mystified as to why Serena is even considering playing the U.S. Open. This is a woman with a history of cardiopulmonary issues. I honestly don't know why she would take such a risk.

And that said, I respect her personal agency.

Margaret Court and "the history" should be the least of her concerns. But of course, that's not Serena.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

I’m not sure why asterisks are necessary, you can only play the people who attend-and i imagine the number of tournaments not to feature Fedal will start to grow pretty rapidly soon. If anything, some would say winning a slam in the middle of a global pandemic of a disease which you yourself have just recovered from, to be quite the feat

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Let the withdrawals begin. Nadal and Wawrinka are officially out.

Caty McNally just squeezing in at #124. Are they issuing any wild cards?
    Yes , they will give 8WC( 1 belong to French Federation another one to Tennis Australia via WC exchange program)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    I always expected Rafa to prioritize the FO over the US Open, especially with the travel complications. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks with regards to the French.
    yeah, no one should be surprised that Rafa isn't playing the US Open. I never expected him to play it.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I'm putting zero asterisks, but I would use a faint footnote if none of the Big 3 play, given their dominance. But so far both fields are very deep, and I expect they will be in the end.

First Slam without either Fed and Nadal, but even that doesn't affect my respect for the depth.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 08-05-2020 at 08:21 AM.

I know that I am a solitary voice here, and I do agree that Margaret Court is indeed a despicable person (and remember, she is a Christian Minister, which you know what means to me). But I feel we dismiss her tennis accomplishments too quickly. Not just the 24 slams. 198 total tournaments (98 in the open era), 24-5 in GS finals, 1177-106 match record (91.74%), GS in 1970.
    I know, I know, I know. She had no competition in a weak era. Which is a circular notion that every great player faces (Steffi and Serena have that one too). But if you look at her numbers, they are unbelievable.
    And yes, I know too. She won 11 GS at the Aussie, at a time in which not everybody went there. But that is the same thing as saying that a Hockey Title in Canada or a Soccer Title in Brasil are non-impressive. At the time, Australia was the tennis powerhouse of the world.
    I will go sit in my corner and behave.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I know that I am a solitary voice here, and I do agree that Margaret Court is indeed a despicable person (and remember, she is a Christian Minister, which you know what means to me). But I feel we dismiss her tennis accomplishments too quickly. Not just the 24 slams. 198 total tournaments (98 in the open era), 24-5 in GS finals, 1177-106 match record (91.74%), GS in 1970.
    I know, I know, I know. She had no competition in a weak era. Which is a circular notion that every great player faces (Steffi and Serena have that one too). But if you look at her numbers, they are unbelievable.
    And yes, I know too. She won 11 GS at the Aussie, at a time in which not everybody went there. But that is the same thing as saying that a Hockey Title in Canada or a Soccer Title in Brasil are non-impressive. At the time, Australia was the tennis powerhouse of the world.
    Good points. Worthy perspective.

There's nothing incorrect here. You can take away all 11 of her AO titles and she's still an all-time great. I think I'd have Serena-Graf-Navratilova in the top tier, and Court-Evert-Seles in the 2nd.

She's also the first in the Open Era to have a child and come back and win multiple slams.

The only issue is with the "most slams ever" record. To me, it's similar to Jimmy Connors' 109 titles being chased by Federer. A bunch of those titles would be like challengers today, so the comparison is silly.

2020 US OPEN OFFERS $53.4 MILLION IN TOTAL PLAYER COMPENSATION

Maintains Nearly 95 Percent of Player Compensation from 2019
    Total Main Draw Singles and Doubles Purse to Equal More Than $43 Million;
    $7.6 Million Dedicated to Player Relief

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., August 5, 2020 – The USTA today announced that the US Open will offer $53.4 million in total player compensation in 2020 – nearly 95 percent of its total from 2019 – with $7.6 million dedicated toward player relief from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The USTA, WTA and ATP Tour worked collaboratively to build a payment structure for the 2020 US Open that would feature critical financial balance and support for players. First-round prize money for men’s and women’s singles increased by 5 percent over 2019 ($61,000 from $58,000), while second- and third-round singles prize money was unchanged. Doubles prize money for the rounds of 32, 16 and the quarterfinals also remained the same as 2019.

Both the men’s and women’s singles champion will earn $3 million.

The USTA will also provide $6.6 million in additional relief grants and subsidies due to the decision to not hold the Qualifying Tournament and the reduction of the Doubles draws. These funds will be allocated equally to the WTA and ATP, which will then make the determination of how to distribute and/or utilize them to provide replacement playing and ranking-point opportunities. Previously in 2020, the USTA contributed $1 million to an international player relief fund.

“We’re proud to be able to offer a player compensation package that maintains nearly 95 percent of the prize pool from 2019,” said Mike Dowse, USTA Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director. “The prize money distribution for the 2020 US Open is the result of close collaboration between the USTA, WTA and ATP, and represents a commitment to supporting players and their financial well-being during an unprecedented time.”

Round-by-round individual prize money for the US Open is as follows:

# # #

The USTA is the national governing body for the sport of tennis in the U.S. and the leader in promoting and developing the growth of tennis at every level -- from local communities to the highest level of the professional game. A not-for-profit organization with more than 655,000 members, it invests 100% of its proceeds in growing the game. It owns and operates the US Open, one of the highest-attended annual sporting events in the world, and launched the US Open Series, linking nine summer WTA and ATP World Tour tournaments to the US Open. In addition, it owns approximately 90 Pro Circuit events throughout the U.S. and selects the teams for the Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Olympic and Paralympic Games. The USTA’s philanthropic entity, the USTA Foundation, provides grants and scholarships in addition to supporting tennis and education programs nationwide to benefit under-resourced youth through the National Junior Tennis & Learning (NJTL) network.For more information about the USTA, go to USTA.com or follow the official accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

Pavlyuchenkova has withdrawn from the USO, citing covid concerns
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Pavlyuchenkova has withdrawn from the USO, citing covid concerns
    Did you see her squirmy interview with Zverev? It was like she couldn't get far enough away from him.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast