Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great Strokes. The DROP SHOT

The greatest Drop Shot has spoken, and after considering his arguments, I have come to the agreement that indeed, the drop shot (the shot) and the lob are specific strokes that merit consideration. So, who has the best (not who is the greatest) Drop Shot (and we will talk about the lob later)?
    But here is my problem. For every stroke we have discussed, there are hundreds of possible choices. Any player hits hundreds of forehands in a match, as well as backhands or serves. But the drop shot is a special tool. At most, you will hit 5 per match. And, for a long time there, I don't remember many players that hit one. EVER. I don't recall Connors, Borg, Lendl, Becker or many others to ever hit one. On the WTA, never saw Evert, Navs, Graf or Seles (examples) hit one. I can recall Sampras hitting one once, and that was a counter drop.
    So, this will be an open thread. Who had/has the greatest DS in history? And because there are so few choices (I think) we can go both ATP/WTA in the same thread. No poll, just write your opinion.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Great Strokes. The DROP SHOT

I'm not entirely sure what's in/out here, so I'm limiting this to players who can hit a deceptive drop-shot from around or behind the baseline. Federer, Kyrgios, Tomic, Monfils are my nominees.

Tomic is a close second because his forehand backswing is so short he can disguise the drop-shot really well. I just don't see him use it very often. But any highlight reel of drop-shots is always filled with Federer and that inside-out forehand drop of his. If he gets you wide on the deuce side, this is a deadly shot.

Woody of the four men you mention I'm going to go with Kyrgios and Monfils who can hit a drop shot from anywhere on court.

Women? I don't remember Aga, despite her bag of tricks, having a good dropper although she should have. Navs maybe?
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Easily Nole for the drop shot. It's deadly against the best and the fastest.

For WTA, Hingis???
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I nominate Federer, with some beautiful spin on it. I guess I’m in disagreement with Ti because Aga was the one who came to mind for me in the women’s game.
    My Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    I nominate Federer, with some beautiful spin on it. I guess I’m in disagreement with Ti because Aga was the one who came to mind for me in the women’s game.
    I'll gladly be proved wrong about Aga. With her game she should've had one.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

No one has had better drop shots than Roger since I've been watching tennis. For perhaps the all time favorite of mine against an important opponent in a GS turn to 3:49 in the video below.

Roger forever

Actually, Evert used the drop shot. She used it mostly against other base-liners, to draw them into the net where the other base-liners felt less comfortable. She usually followed this with a lob. The commentators called this combination "the pull-and-jerk". Most of us remember Chris from when she was playing Martina; however Martina did not mind being pulled into the net at all.

Unfortunately, I did not keep track of used the drop shot, and who did not. However, the drop-shot usually works best against base-liners; so people with better memories might want to think about people who played a lot of base-liners, and eras that contained a lot of base-liners.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

I have seen Benoit Paire hit two drop shots with so much backspin they came back into the net. So, he gets my nod.
    On the women, I still draw a blank. Can't recall any. Thanks to Dave for the Evert story.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Albert Portas. End of discussion.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Vondrousova has a lethal drop shot and loves to use it. She drove Halep, who surprisingly is not always great at getting to them despite her speed, batty with drop shots while beating her twice in a row last year.

Didn't Santoro have an amazing drop shot? It seems like he would, but don't remember off the cuff.

On the women's side, I predict Coco Gauff will have the best drop shot of all time someday
    This is not the bouquet you toss

For tennis I was around to watch, I'd say Best DS to Hingis and Radwanska Sr. for WTA and Roger for the ATP
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

For the men, Roger. Nalby on his BH side. I've seen some very good ones from Rafa but mostly on clay.

I still have to look into the women.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I used to think that drop shot is more of a clay weapon (see Albert Portas), but it's not necessarily the case (see Roger).
    Roger forever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast