Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Whose is the greatest FH volley ever?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Billie Jean King

0 0%
  • Martina Navratilova

10 71.43%
  • Hana Mandlikova

1 7.14%
  • Gigi Fernandez

0 0%
  • Jana Novotna

0 0%
  • Martina Hingis

2 14.29%
  • Sam Stosur

0 0%
  • Other

1 7.14%

Great strokes. FH volley. WTA

This selection will be smaller, as I really can’t remember too many great strokes on this side.
    BJK. The original. King was able to get low for the volley and punch it deep. She did this while playing with a wood racket, and then the Wilson T-2000. That she was able to nail the sweetspot on that tiny head was a total achievement.
    Martina Navratilova. What? You expected her NOT to be in this list? The greatest serve and volleyer of all time was solid on both sides. She was superb at putting high volleys away.
    Hana Mandlikova. Nobody, and I mean nobody, followed the precept of “Hit with your legs” better than Mandlikova. By that it meant to run through the shot and punch it deep. She never, never hit a volley in which her wrist was above her racket head. Absolute perfection.
    Gigi Fernandez. A solid doubles player that had some slight success in singles. She poached constantly and was very good on both wings.
    Jana Novotna. Because she was a Czech serve and volleyer.
    Martina Hingis. After she could no longer compete in singles, her doubles career was stellar. Her volleys were the reason.
    Sam Stosur. She should have come to the net more frequently. She was good. Still is, sort of.

Honorary mention.
    Margaret Court? Maybe? She won 24 slams, serving and volleying. But I never saw her. And I know her name is mud.
    Helena Sukova. She was Czech too.
    Ashely Barty?
    Serena and Venus?
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Re: Great strokes. FH volley. WTA

Will the person that voted OTHER please say who? I am really curious.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Re: Great strokes. FH volley. WTA

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Will the person that voted OTHER please say who? I am really curious.
    It was me. I would've put Serena in.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.