Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The Mary Trump Book

I actually agree that we really don't need Mary's book to know what we need to know about Trump. Nor should we believe everything she says in a tell-all book that will make her a bundle of money, money she probably doesn't need.

But playing devil's advocate a bit: what Pam said was that her late husband said he met Trump when they were at the U of Pennsylvania. If that is true, then he almost certainly didn't take the SAT for Trump. Still, we also shouldn't just completely take that at face value. As Pam says, he is not here to defend himself. But the amount of money Donald would have been able to offer someone to do this could have been an amount that would pay for college and grad school. I could see a lot of otherwise pretty upstanding people taking that offer. Paraphrasing one of the commenters: we all do things when we are young that we regret greatly later. Also, if he had known Trump earlier, he certainly wouldn't admit to that, even to a spouse, if there was something this big to cover up.

I am reminded of all the people who have been found to have written term papers for scholarship athletes for money. That was likely common practice at the 2 schools I attended in the 70's for a total of 8 years (NC State and UNC-Chapel Hill), based on evidence that later came out. I promise I never did that, nor was I ever approached about doing that. But I bet the people who did it are people who, the other 99% of the time, were really quite upstanding. And I'm sure the amount of money that Trump would offer would be more than the athletic department could give under the table.

I promise I'm not saying Joe Shapiro did it. I just don't think we can be 100% sure either way. I would certainly lean toward Pam's story being more likely, but who knows. GH
    Last edited by GlennHarman; 07-09-2020 at 12:58 AM. Reason: wording

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

It's possible also that, as the book has limited evidence that I think is mostly based on family gossip, she got the fact right and the person wrong. I mean, unless they were all family friends with the person who may have taken the SAT test, who would actually remember the name of the guy that cheated on a test for your relative?

mmmm8, I agree completely that what you said sounds plausible.

Another point: Even with Papa Trump's money, what are the chances that this man who never reads and seems dumb as a brick could have made a high enough score on the SAT to get into an Ivy League school? I think this is actually supporting evidence that something really fishy went on. I knew people who would be considered extremely smart by all of us who couldn't get into any of those schools (admittedly with no super-rich father to help the deal along). GH

The whole time line of the SAT's/Fordham/Wharton has been misconstrued by some and in this case, subjected to lawyer speak.

The way things could have gone is this:

Tiny takes SAT's. High enough for Fordham (a pretty good law school by the way) but not Wharton.
    I have never heard of taking the SAT's again after college admission and attendance.

Note: apparently you can take them again but it's complicated and involves a gap year and other stuff.

If that is what happened here the late Mr. Shapiro had to have been offered a s**t ton of money to take them. Someone else was paid a s**t ton of money to get rid of the first scores, and voila, Tiny is in the Ivy League and Wharton is now looking at a major scandal.

In the real world Regular Person would've had to bust their hiney to excel at Fordham and then transfer to Wharton.
    The SAT's wouldn't have been taken again.

I'm sorry but I thought Pam's statement was a bit incoherent and that it doesn't make sense.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Do we know his actual score? I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that if he got over 1000, that wasn't him taking it.
    Last edited by Woody; 07-13-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Do we know his actual score? I can say with a pretty degree of confidence that if he got over 1000, that wasn't him taking it.
    Hasn't he threatened everyone and every institution involved with lawsuits if they even look loke they're going to release his academic record? It seems one of his sisters used to do his homework?

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The whole time line of the SAT's/Fordham/Wharton has been misconstrued by some and in this case, subjected to lawyer speak.

The way things could have gone is this:

Tiny takes SAT's. High enough for Fordham (a pretty good law school by the way) but not Wharton.
    I have never heard of taking the SAT's again after college admission and attendance.

Note: apparently you can take them again but it's complicated and involves a gap year and other stuff.

If that is what happened here the late Mr. Shapiro had to have been offered a s**t ton of money to take them. Someone else was paid a s**t ton of money to get rid of the first scores, and voila, Tiny is in the Ivy League and Wharton is now looking at a major scandal.

In the real world Regular Person would've had to bust their hiney to excel at Fordham and then transfer to Wharton.
    The SAT's wouldn't have been taken again.

I'm sorry but I thought Pam's statement was a bit incoherent and that it doesn't make sense.

This is what had me confused, but I thought maybe the rules were different at the time?

I agree emphatically with Woody. Given the way SAT's were scored then (my era) and his lack of knowledge about everything, I can't see him breaking 1000. And I doubt that would have gotten him into Fordham or much of anything else except a community college. My opinion is that Trump money and/or a major cheat on SAT's got him into wherever he went at whatever time.

Judge affirms Trump’s niece can publish her book about the president and his family

By
    Shayna Jacobs
    July 13, 2020 at 8:07 p.m. EDT

NEW YORK — A state court judge on Monday issued an eleventh-hour ruling affirming Simon & Schuster's right to publish an explosive new book by President Trump's niece, issuing a written decision that prioritizes the First Amendment over a dated confidentiality agreement among members of the Trump family.

The book by Mary Trump — “Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man” — is slated for release Tuesday. Some copies already have been distributed, and it’s already considered a best seller.

“The court got it right in rejecting the Trump family’s effort to squelch Mary Trump’s core political speech on important issues of public concern,” her lawyer Theodore J. Boutrous Jr. said in a statement. “The First Amendment forbids prior restraints because they are intolerable infringements on the right to participate in democracy.

Mary Trump, 55, was sued by her uncle Robert Trump, the president’s brother, in an effort to block publication. He had accused her of violating a confidentiality agreement in an inheritance case that was settled two decades ago.

The book has struck a nerve for the president and his family. Mary Trump is the daughter of Fred Trump Jr., who died in 1981 when she was 16. A clinical psychologist, she has said she employed her professional training in analyzing the president and the “toxic” environment in which he was raised.

In Dutchess County, N.Y., Justice Hal Greenwald denied Robert Trump’s bid to apply the nondisclosure agreement, saying, too, that Simon & Schuster had no obligation either under the family’s arrangement. Constitutional law, Greenwald added, “trumps contracts.”

That agreement was signed as the family settled the estate of the president’s father, Fred Trump. Lawyers for Mary Trump had argued it was meant to keep the details of the settlement private and does not bar Mary Trump from telling her famous family’s story outside of that. They had said, too, that the book’s content was vital to the country’s democratic process, saying in court filings that “the speech at issue concerns vital political discourse directly relating to an ongoing national election.”

The book, an advance copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post, paints Fred Jr.’s death as a defining moment for the president, who was said to have dealt with his brother harshly as he pushed him into the family real estate business. Fred Jr. was preoccupied with pursuing aviation as his family, including the future president, pressured him to focus on the family business.

Mary Trump labels the president a “sociopath” in the book, citing his efforts to win over his difficult father. The memoir paints the family patriarch as a malignant figure who largely created and shaped the future president. Both men’s business record has been questioned extensively, dogged by a number of cheating accusations spanning decades.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...f38_story.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12