Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  1

View Poll Results: Whose is the greatest forehand ever?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Evert

0 0%
  • Martina Navratilova

0 0%
  • Steffi Graf

12 85.71%
  • Monica Seles

1 7.14%
  • Serena Williams

1 7.14%
  • Kim Clijsters

0 0%
  • Jennifer Capriatti

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%

Great strokes. Forehand, WTA.

As with the men, a lot of contenders. But not the most. Some other shot will take that honor.

Chris Evert. Still one extremely classical shot. Her TRAFFIC STOP left hand guided it and from there she got depth and control. Power would never come because she grew up playing with wood rackets.
    Martina Navratilova: a perfect, classic eastern European forehand.
    Steffi Graf. A serious contender. Cliff Drysdale once said that Graf had two sides: the backhand side, and SUICIDE. The fact that Graf hit her shot with a continental grip made it even more impressive. Winners from any point of the court, standing still or on the run. A beauty.
    Monica Seles. A great TWO handed shot, not equaled by anybody (sorry, Marion Bartoli). The only possible critique would be aesthetically. It was not gorgeous. But Seles attacked balls hit to that side with the same ferocity that a hungry rottweiler would show towards a fat cat with a broken hind leg. No mercy at all.
    Serena Williams. From anywhere on the court, it is a power shot. Especially accurate and deadly on the return. Must be considered.
    Kym Clijsters. A solid stroke, both on defense and offense.
    Jennifer Capriati. Despite being labeled a modern Evert, the comparison was not very accurate. She had more power, which showed on her forehand. It was a great shot.

Honorary mention.
    Anna Kournikova. Go ahead, laugh. We know that she never even won a tournament but for a moment there, it was not only the looks that made her famous. Her running forehand was an excellent shot.
    Madison Keys. Again, look at her shot. It is a pure stroke, with power and control. Strokes-wise, Maddy is ahead of many players. It is just the head.
    Venus Williams. Does not make the cut for the main list because it was never an accurate stroke. Way too many UE’s. But from the point of power, she can belt it.
    Mary Pierce. A solid stroke and a deviation from the French school at the time, because she was trained by her father. The awful man (and Karolj Seles, Monica’s father) saw the new way. Don’t think, just hit. As hard as you can. Too bad Mary took the first part too seriously (Monica didn’t).
    Amelie Mauresmo. A wonderful whipping motion, preceding Federer’s. Her strength and speed of shot made her finish her stroke AROUND her body, not up and away. Plenty of spin on it.

A lot of the current crop have a very good forehand. Somehow, no one impresses me enough on that side to include them in the main list.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Re: Great strokes. Forehand, WTA.

And please let me know whom I missed. It seems I should have done this thing jointly with another old foggy, just to remember everybody.

Fraulein Forehand for the win.

Steffi for me as well. An obvious choice, I guess.
    Roger forever

I voted for Monica over Serena only because it was Seles, not Graf, who showed women a different way to play tennis. Serena is a descendant of Monica's trailblazing.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I voted for Monica over Serena only because it was Seles, not Graf, who showed women a different way to play tennis. Serena is a descendant of Monica's trailblazing.
    Expand. How did Monica show a new way that Graf did not? Graf was already blasting the ball at every turn. I would like your opinion of Monica's trailblazing (and it is not that I disagree with you. Seles could be the best FH ever indeed).

I watched the Graf vs Seles match from the other contest in full (I don't know where I found it).

The hitting by both women was amazing but towards the end Graf's game, in my opinion, broke down and Seles, not one to let an opportunity go by, was able to exploit the up to then indomitable Graf game to her advantage.

Seles, in your face on court attitude intimidated Graf. Seles wasn't that tall (I think someone here said she grew after the stabbing) but Graf was frustrated. She didn't give up but she had no more tennis to give.

I think Seles was the precursor to big serving intimidating tennis from women. She made it safe to be "unladylike" on court for want of a better word. She was innovative in that sense. It's not a style of play for everyone but for those who could play that way Monica was a godsend. Those who couldn't innovate, who couldn't hit screamers from anywhere on the court saw their star fade.

I think she would've dominated women's tennis for years if the stabbing hadn't occurred. I think the clock is turning back though. There are big hitters but their movement isn't anywhere near what Monica's was and that's what makes them one dimensional.

It's really going to be interesting to see what Barty does going forward. In my opinion she's a throwback to the pre Seles era.

Ok. But here we are talking about the stroke. You are talking about Seles' overall game and her mental fortitude (which I will ask about later in the polls). Was Seles more influential on today's player's forehands than Graf? I guess we will need more polls (and at the rate this COVID quarantine is going, we may even get polls on "who smells better OFF court?" pretty soon).

Her forehand, in her prime, was lethal. I do tend to wander. Sorry about that.

The great ones always bring something to the game.

Evert - Two handed backhand
    Navs - Serve and Volley
    Graf - Forehand and foot speed
    Seles - Power off both wings
    Serena - Serve and athleticism to new heights
    Hingis - Skilled hands, defensive skills

Also, no one ever accused Seles of being a great mover. Before or after the stabbing. That is why her best surface was clay and her worst was grass.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Went with Graf only because Serena's mobility (lack of) makes her hit so many awkward ones.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I would have to vote for Graf on this one, but lots of great strokes on the list.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."