Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Whose is the greatest 2nd serve ever?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Martina Navratilova

3 20.00%
  • Venus Williams

0 0%
  • Serena Williams

8 53.33%
  • Steffi Graf

0 0%
  • Sabine Lisicki

0 0%
  • Hana Mandlikova

0 0%
  • Madison Keys

1 6.67%
  • Other

3 20.00%

Great strokes. 2nd SERVE, WTA

It is difficult to find players with good second serves in the WTA. At least one entire generation neglected the shot, to the point that the server was on the defensive from the start. Therefore, I can only offer the same group because so few women have really mastered the stroke. Instead, what we get is:

Horror-ary mention:
    Gabriela Sabatini: I once saw her hit a second serve that hit HER service box before reaching the net. Her lack of confidence in the shot was visible for miles.
    Maria Sharapova: She was considered a clutch player, very mentally tough. Her hiccups when serving her second serve were therefore very hard to explain.
    Elena Dementieva. She had a terrible first serve, and then her second one was even slower and even more baffling. It was the Hindenburg crashing on top of the Titanic as it hit an iceberg on Fukushima Bay during the tsunami. A total disaster.

Because an esteemed fellow member reminded us of other atrocities:
    Sara Errani. Granted, she had to hit UP, WAY UP on every serve. And she was small. And her motion was a pathetic collection of uncoordinated muscle spasms, and you could tell that she must have hit her very first serve when she was around 15 and the trauma of teenage-hood translated into the stroke. It almost made you feel sorry for her. But then you remembered she was Sara Errani and on top of everything else, she made you mad. A putrid delivery, basically a zit mysteriously coming out of a racket face.
    Madison Brengle. No recollection of her serve. None. Did she have one? Was every game she won ever a break of serve? Could she even lift her arm over her shoulder? Why didn't she go full Dennis Eckersley and serve under arm? (Baseball reference, look him up).
    Last edited by ponchi101; 07-01-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Re: Great strokes. 2nd SERVE, WTA

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    It is difficult to find players with good second serves in the WTA. At least one entire generation neglected the shot, to the point that the server was on the defensive from the start. Therefore, I can only offer the same group because so few women have really mastered the stroke. Instead, what we get is:

Horror-ary mention:
    Gabriela Sabatini: I once saw her hit a second serve that hit HER service box before reaching the net. Her lack of confidence in the shot was visible for miles.
    Maria Sharapova: She was considered a clutch player, very mentally tough. Her hiccups when serving her second serve were therefore very hard to explain.
    Elena Dementieva. She had a terrible first serve, and then her second one was even slower and even more baffling. It was the Hindenburg crashing on top of the Titanic as it hit an iceberg on Fukushima Bay during the tsunami. A total disaster.
    How do you not mention Sara Errani, or Madison Brengle in this conversation.

How about Sam Stosur (for the best 2nd serve)? While the stroke has deteriorated along with the rest of her game in recent years, the kick she got was absolutely fearsome.
    Go Pack Go!

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    How do you not mention Sara Errani, or Madison Brengle in this conversation.
    Please, post ahead. My brain tries to avoid painful memories frequently. So Sara Errani is confined to some lost cluster of neurons, never to be brought back into focus until some sadistic creature reminds me of that mess

Quote Originally Posted by Togtdyalttai View Post
    How about Sam Stosur (for the best 2nd serve)? While the stroke has deteriorated along with the rest of her game in recent years, the kick she got was absolutely fearsome.
    Touche. And I was a fan of hers. Indeed, I would replace her in my list with Madison. But I really racked my brain for players with good second serves and was a blank. It was hard to figure who should be here.
    Go for OTHER. Make that vote count.

Serena again--her second serve is better than most of the tour's first serve. Hard, confident, and clutch
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I'd second going with Stosur for one whose second serve is more of a standout than her first serve (which is good but not among the best ever), although Serena's is probably still more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I'd second going with Stosur for one whose second serve is more of a standout than her first serve (which is good but not among the best ever), although Serena's is probably still more effective.
    Also surprised that Stosur isnít included in the poll.
    My Happy Place

Barty has the best second serve outside of Serena among current players.

Yeah. I can go for that. But looking at EVER, I would hesitate to get her in this list. As above, I had a hard time making up my mind with this stroke for the women (as opposed to the men's, where I had more options).