Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Whose is the greatest 2nd serve ever?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Isner

2 13.33%
  • Pete Sampras

11 73.33%
  • Goran Ivanisevic

0 0%
  • Ivo Karlovic

0 0%
  • Ivan Lendl

0 0%
  • Stefan Edberg

0 0%
  • Pat Rafter

0 0%
  • Other

2 13.33%

Great strokes. 2nd SERVE, ATP.

Isner. Very little to add in comments. It is huge.
    Karlovic. As mentioned before, he holds the record for a second serve speed. Makes the cut.
    Sampras: basically, a first serve hit with different spin. Great control. And, most importantly, great courage and confidence on the stroke.
    Stefan Edberg. Perhaps the last, true second serve. He changed his grip, the toss was different, the back bend was deeper. And his depth and spin were fantastic. Although he did commit some horrible double faults because of it.
    Ivan Lendl. Yes, Ivan Lendl. The most underrated man in the sport was the one that realized that hitting a forceful second serve would win would way more points than the resulting double faults. As in so many ways, he paved the way for the incoming big servers.
    Goran Ivanisevic. As Sampras, just a different first serve.
    Patrick Rafter. With his huge back bend, the second was a natural stroke for him. He usually got great depth and spin. But by then, the atomic returners were starting to rule.

Honorary mention:
    Roger Federer. Never a bomb, but like a good baseball pitcher, still great control of the box. Returnable? Sure. Predictable? No way.
    Henri Laconte. More will be said about the Frenchman. But both his serves were technically perfect. His second was a beauty.
    Mats Wilander. No, not really. But it is the only way we can remember that in the 1988 RG Final, he missed TWO FIRST SERVES, because he served his second serve the whole match to stop Laconte from teeing off the second. And Laconte never caught to it.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Re: Great strokes. 2nd SERVE, ATP.

The other person who occasionally had a great second serve is Nick Kyrgios. Every now and then he would just decide to hit an ace on his second serve. However, he did not do the often enough to make this list.
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

Kyrgios will not make any of my lists simply because he is still too young and we don't know what he will accomplish. But your comment is spot on. Of all the shots out there, from the new generation, I will give him best serve (both), best forehand and best reactions.
    Then, of course, you have that head of his, which is a complete mystery. At least to me.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Iím going with Roger on this one. His second serve gets him where he needs to be.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Glad you included Rafter. I would have forgotten about him, but I could immediately picture it in my head after reading his name.