Agree Agree:  13
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Other Sports & C19

Trump Announced, Then Canceled, a Yankees Pitch. Both Came as a Surprise.
    The president’s announcement that he would pitch at Yankee Stadium on Aug. 15 startled the team’s officials, who had not scheduled such an event.
    By Katie Rogers and Noah Weiland
    July 27, 2020, 7:37 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — An hour before Dr. Anthony S. Fauci threw the first pitch at the season opener between the New York Yankees and the Washington Nationals, President Trump stood on the briefing room stage at the White House and declared that he, too, had been invited to throw out his own opening pitch.

“Randy Levine is a great friend of mine from the Yankees,” Mr. Trump, referring to the president of the baseball team, told reporters on Thursday as Dr. Fauci was preparing to take the mound. “And he asked me to throw out the first pitch, and I think I’m doing that on Aug. 15 at Yankee Stadium.”

There was one problem: Mr. Trump had not actually been invited on that day by the Yankees, according to one person with knowledge of Mr. Trump’s schedule. His announcement surprised both Yankees officials and the White House staff.

But Mr. Trump had been so annoyed by Dr. Fauci’s turn in the limelight, an official familiar with his reaction said, that he had directed his aides to call Yankees officials and make good on a longtime standing offer from Mr. Levine to throw out an opening pitch. But no date was ever finalized.

After the president’s announcement, White House aides scrambled to let the team know that he was actually booked on Aug. 15, although they have not said what he plans to do. Over the weekend, Mr. Trump officially canceled.

“Because of my strong focus on the China Virus, including scheduled meetings on Vaccines, our economy and much else, I won’t be able to be in New York to throw out the opening pitch for the @Yankees on August 15,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter on Sunday, using a racist name for the coronavirus. “We will make it later in the season!”

And so continues the tense relationship between Mr. Trump, a president who hates sharing media attention, and Dr. Fauci, a renowned infectious disease expert who doesn’t mind the spotlight. He appeared this month in a spread in InStyle magazine, lounging (fully clothed) poolside.

(...)

In April, the day before Vice President Mike Pence was to speak at the Air Force commencement ceremony in Colorado, Mr. Trump suddenly announced that he would be speaking at West Point. That was news to officials at West Point.

Last week, Dr. Fauci was determined to come to the Nationals mound prepared. Growing up in Brooklyn, he played shortstop on a local Catholic youth team. Days before the pitch on Thursday, he went to Horace Mann, an elementary school in northwest Washington, to rehearse on the lawn.

“I pitched and pitched,” he said in an interview on Monday. “I threw my arm out. I hadn’t thrown a baseball literally in decades. After I practiced, my arm was hanging around my feet.”

But he said he made a fatal error. Without a baseball field at the school to practice on, he had to measure 60 feet — the distance from a major-league mound to home plate — himself, and accidentally came up about 20 feet short.

Once Dr. Fauci arrived on the mound at Nationals Park, he realized the vast expanse, and his visit went south. He cocked his arm back only slightly, crooked, and flung the ball diagonally into the grass, far from Sean Doolittle, the Nationals player assigned to catch the pitch.

“He looked to me like he was like 500 feet away. That made me throw it much harder than I had been practicing,” Dr. Fauci said. “I completely miscalculated the distance from the mound.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/u...ees-fauci.html
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

The Vikings’ infection control officer tested positive for the coronavirus
    By
    Matt Bonesteel
    July 27, 2020 at 2:12 p.m. EDT

The Minnesota Vikings announced Monday that Eric Sugarman, the team’s head athletic trainer and infection control officer, has tested positive for the novel coronavirus along with members of his family.

“We have followed the team’s protocol for sanitizing the facility and for notifying any personnel who may have been in close contact with Eric,” the team said in a statement. “Those individuals have been tested and are returning under the established guidelines. Eric has not had recent contact with players, and no additional cases within the Vikings front office have been identified at this time.”

Sugarman, who is entering his 15th season as the Vikings’ trainer, said he and his family members “are all doing fine and experiencing only mild symptoms.”

The NFL is requiring each team to appoint an infection control officer who will coordinate each team’s efforts to keep the pandemic at bay.

Last week, Sugarman gave NBC’s Peter King a tour of the Vikings’ team headquarters after it was transformed to help deal with the novel coronavirus pandemic.

“As I sit here in quarantine, it is clear this virus does not discriminate,” Sugarman said in the team statement. “It should continue to be taken seriously. I encourage people to take the necessary precautions and follow guidelines that have been established nationally and locally. At this time I am taking care of myself and my family and am focused on their health and recovery. I will return to the Vikings and my role after following the proper protocols.”

The Vikings reported to Minnesota last week, but no players will be allowed into the team’s facility until they have two negative coronavirus tests. After that, all players will be tested daily for at least two weeks.

Should a player test positive during the regular season, they could miss at least two games, depending on whether they are showing symptoms of covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ge%2Fstory-ans

AP Sports @AP_Sports
    AP source: St. Louis game in Milwaukee postponed after multiple Cardinals employees test positive for the coronavirus. Two other games Friday involving the Marlins, Nationals, Blue Jays and Phillies had already been postponed.
    by @jake_seiner

https://apnews.com/26fb37fef28e84562c048d7e7e75ebdc

Sources: MLB commissioner warns of shutdown if coronavirus isn't better managed

Jeff Passan
    ESPN

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told MLB Players Association executive director Tony Clark on Friday that if the sport doesn't do a better job of managing the coronavirus, it could shut down for the season, sources familiar with the conversation told ESPN.

The league and players recognize the coming days are a critical juncture following an outbreak on the Miami Marlins in which 18 players and two coaches have tested positive for COVID-19. Two positive tests by St. Louis Cardinals players on Friday exacerbated concerns inside the sport about the presence of the coronavirus and whether players are following MLB's protocols are being followed properly to prevent outbreaks similar to Miami's.

Should another outbreak materialize, Manfred, who has the power to shut the season down, could move in that direction. Multiple players briefed on the call fear that season could be shut down as soon as Monday if positive tests jump or if players continue not to strictly abide by the league's protocols.

State and local governments have pressured baseball about players skirting the mandates outlined in the league's 113-page operations manual, sources told ESPN. Broadcasts that have shown players not wearing masks, high-fiving and spitting have left government officials wondering how seriously players are taking the protocols, sources said.

Further, there is concern about off-the-field choices, with one high-ranking official saying: "There are some bad decisions being made."

The Cardinals' game against the Milwaukee Brewers was postponed Friday and rescheduled to a doubleheader Saturday. Already the Marlins and Philadelphia Phillies, who last played Miami on Sunday, were missing scheduled games, leaving 20% of the league's Friday slate empty.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ng-coronavirus

I think NBA and NHL plan with playing in bubbles is much more likely to succeed than MLB's regular travel schedule.
    Roger forever

I watched some NBA games yesterday. They start out with masks but on the sidelines they forget. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in two weeks.

Keith Olbermann @KeithOlbermann
    BREAKING NEWS: The @mlb shutdown Commissioner Manfred threatened players’ association chief Tony Clark with this afternoon?
    It could come as early as Monday, per sources inside and outside MLB. Update included in ESPN’s
    @JeffPassan’s original report:
    https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2957...ng-coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I think NBA and NHL plan with playing in bubbles is much more likely to succeed than MLB's regular travel schedule.
    I'm not so sure about that. I agree that MLB's plan was always more likely to lead to outbreaks. However, NBA/NHL's plan needs a large amount of trust. If one player (or support staff) breaks the bubble and brings COVID in, an outbreak could get out of control quickly. I'm less worried about that with the NHL because they're in Canada, so even if players break the bubble they're not so likely to bring the virus in. As Ti pointed out, mask-wearing seems to be pretty lax in the NBA's bubble. It seems to me like the players feel safe there, and that could be bad news.
    Last edited by Togtdyalttai; 07-31-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    Go Pack Go!

Plus the NBA is perhaps the league where fewer players play. The entire staff of a team is somewhere around 20-25 people. That is just players in the MLB. When the NFL starts (if) you will be talking about teams with 100 people staff. Now you are talking problems.

Watched the NBA last night. The quality is still there. And for me, that usually watch the games with the MUTE ON, no big deal. It was enjoyable.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Cardinals’ coronavirus outbreak grows with four more positives, further imperiling MLB season

By
    Dave Sheinin
    August 1, 2020 at 6:59 p.m. EDT

Major League Baseball’s hopes of salvaging its 2020 season amid a pandemic took another ominous turn Saturday, when the St. Louis Cardinals received word of additional positive tests for the novel coronavirus, requiring the postponement of the entire Cardinals-Brewers weekend series in Milwaukee and deepening the level of pessimism around the sport that the season can go on.

The Cardinals, who reported two positive tests Friday, saw another four positives Saturday, one of which was a player, using rapid tests. For the second straight day, that day’s Cardinals-Brewers game was called off — the 16th game of this abbreviated MLB season to be postponed because of the virus — and MLB later announced a scheduled doubleheader for Sunday also had been postponed.

The Cardinals’ outbreak is one of two that have arisen in the past week, casting doubt on baseball’s ability to contain the virus and safely navigate a 60-game regular season. The Miami Marlins have seen 18 players and two coaches test positive in the past week, halting their season until Tuesday, when they are expected to resume following an eight-day hiatus.

“We are playing,” Commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN’s Karl Ravech. “The players need to be better [about following health and safety protocols], but I am not a quitter in general, and there is no reason to quit now. We have had to be fluid, but it is manageable.”

Both outbreaks occurred during road trips, with the Cardinals’ believed to have originated in Minneapolis, where they played against the Minnesota Twins before continuing on to Milwaukee. The Cardinals are likely to remain in self-isolation at their Milwaukee hotel, where they are undergoing daily coronavirus testing and contact tracing. News of the Cardinals’ latest positive tests was first reported Saturday by former big league third baseman Trevor Plouffe, who is now the co-host of a podcast.

Saturday also brought two new opt-outs from players — Brewers all-star center fielder Lorenzo Cain and Marlins infielder Isan Díaz — illustrating the growing lack of confidence from some players in baseball’s ability to keep participants safe.

“With all of the uncertainty and unknowns surrounding our game at this time, I feel that this is the best decision for me, my wife, and our three kids,” Cain said in a statement. “The Brewers organization was very understanding and supportive of my decision, and I thank them for that. I wish all of my great teammates the best of luck this season and look forward to getting back on the field in 2021. Please stay safe."

Díaz was not among the 18 Marlins played who tested positive; those infected players were in the midst of an overnight trip on multiple buses from Philadelphia, where they had been in self-isolation at the team hotel since Monday, to Miami.

“This has been a tough week to see so many of my teammates come down with this virus, and see how quickly it spreads,” Díaz wrote in an Instagram post. “… This has been a decision that I have discussed with my family, and I feel it’s the best one for me and my overall well-being.”

The news came at the start of the second weekend of the 2020 season and at a critical juncture in baseball’s fight against the coronavirus. Six of the 30 teams — the Cardinals, Brewers, Marlins, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals and Toronto Blue Jays — are sidelined, with the latter four stemming from the Marlins’ outbreak.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ge%2Fstory-ans

WCVB-TV Boston
    @WCVB
    BREAKING: Red Sox Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom has announced that pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez has been ruled out for the 2020 season. The 27-year-old lefty developed a heart issue following a bout with COVID-19. #MLB #baseball #Boston #RedSox #breakingnews #coronavirus

Tim Healey
    @timbhealey ·3h
    BREAKING: The Mets don't know where Yoenis Cespedes is.

Team statement: "As of game time, Yoenis Céspedes has not reported to the ballpark today. He did not reach out to management with any explanation for his absence. Our attempts to contact him have been unsuccessful."
    Jennifer X. Williams @JenXperience
    #Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen says Yoenis Céspedes is safe and healthy -- late during today's game the club learned that Cespedes has decided to opt-out of the season due to COVID-19 related reasons...
    4:26 PM · Aug 2, 2020·Twitter Web App

ETA:

Jeff Passan
    @JeffPassan
    When Yoenis Cespedes didn't show up today, the Mets sent security to his room. They found it empty. He had taken his belongings, just up and left, and through his agent informed the team mid-game that he was opting out, according to Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen.
    4:31 PM · Aug 2, 2020·TweetDeck

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Eagles’ HC Doug Pederson has tested positive for the coronavirus, sources told ESPN’s @Tim_McManus
    . Pederson convened a previously unscheduled team meeting Sunday night to share the news with his players. He did this after receiving a second positive test.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Eagles’ HC Doug Pederson has tested positive for the coronavirus, sources told ESPN’s @Tim_McManus
    . Pederson convened a previously unscheduled team meeting Sunday night to share the news with his players. He did this after receiving a second positive test.
    I hope that was a virtual meeting.

Otherwise it may not have just been news he was sharing.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123