Agree Agree:  13
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Other Sports & C19

It will also be interesting to know how those 37 cases (likely to be more over the next couple of weeks) will deal with the disease. These guys will likely recover pretty well. BUT: This, as well as the top male tennis players who have tested positive, can start showing us how young, very healthy male athletes in elite sports that require great respiratory fitness will do after recovery from a mild case. If they are left with any decrement at all in pulmonary function, it could spell the end of the career. My suspicion is that they will recover completely, but we don't know that yet.

GH

But this would be the same as a very bad injury, in the sense that the chances are slim but an entire career can be washed out because of that.
    If you knew that playing on a particular surface would lead to a 1% chance of truly blowing an ACL to the point of no recovery, would you play in that tournament? No. Because 1% means that somebody (pretty likely) in a 128 draw will suffer the injury.
    Same for football, where the stats show that the average player lasts only 5 years in the NFL. On top of that, are you going to risk your pro-career over a virus? In college? No way.
    Last edited by ponchi101; 07-03-2020 at 09:16 AM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Anthony Chiang @Anthony_Chiang

NEW: Miami Heat closes facility for workouts after second player tests positive for COVID-19

With a second Miami Heat player recently testing positive for COVID-19, the team closed its AmericanAirlines Arena practice facility for individual workouts and will not practice again until it arrives at Walt Disney World next week, a league source confirmed to the Miami Herald on Friday afternoon.

The Miami Herald is not reporting the identity of the player because the player has not authorized the release of his name. The player is in quarantine and still expects to participate in the resumption of the 2019-20 season.

The Heat’s facility only remains open for mandatory COVID-19 tests for players and staff, which began June 23.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/n...#storylink=cpy
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Jimmie Johnson (7 time NASCAR champion and retiring after this year) has tested positive. He proactively tested after his wife tested positive.

He will sit out tomorrow's race.

Similarly, IMSA driver Felipe Nasr also tested positive and will sit out tonight's race in Daytona. (this one they were luckier to find early because it is a series with multiple drivers per car).

Jesse Dougherty @dougherty_jesse

Sean Doolittle just gave a long and thoughtful answer about baseball's return and how America's pandemic situation is worse than it was in March, when the sport shut down. Will transcribe ASAP and share here. Very much worth reading and thinking about.

Here it is. The question was about some owners recently suggesting that there could be fans in parks later this season. Sean Doolittle's answer touched on a lot more:

Britt Ghiroli
    @Britt_Ghiroli
    The Nationals have also not received the PPE gear they were suppose to have, Doolittle said. This includes:

N -95 masks
    gloves

Coupled with testing delays, this is not good.

NHL Public Relations @PR_NHL
    NHL statement on COVID-19 testing results:

Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli

#NHL announces 9 new players have tested positive for COVID-19 over the last week. That’s eight players at team facilities and one player who has yet to report to a facility.

CNN Breaking News@cnnbrk

NBA star Russell Westbrook says he has tested positive for coronavirus. He has not yet joined his Houston Rockets teammates in Orlando ahead of the NBA restart
    https://cnn.it/2C9GbmV

That NBA tournament is really looking like a disaster in the making.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

The Bubble is not impermeable. A sex worker posted on Twitter yesterday that she had already been invited inside.

NBA Bubble Life
    @NBABubbleLife
    a quarantine mishap in two parts

If this bubble was in, say, New Hampshire, I might believe it had a chance. In Florida? Now? I almost hope that an outbreak starts before they start playing because it might be worse if they've already started.
    Go Pack Go!

Re: The MLB Thread

The Blue Jays will be playing their games in Buffalo.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

Eight more players and two coaches with the Miami Marlins have tested positive for COVID-19, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total of cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation tell me and @JesseRogersESPN

The Marlins' home opener against the Baltimore Orioles tonight has been canceled, sources tell ESPN, as the team remains in Philadelphia and continues to undergo testing.

BarleyPop @MikePilbean
    Statement from Marlins CEO Derek Jeter.

I found it odd how he says everything was fine until they left Miami and began traveling. With this many positive cases they didn't all get infected over the past few days. An unnecessary blame game IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast