Agree Agree:  13
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Other Sports & C19

I thought it might be better to put what's going on with all the sports we follow and C19 in one thread so we don't have to hop around.

I'll start with this big one.

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter
    The Dallas Cowboys-Pittsburgh Steelers preseason opener at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 6 is being canceled and the Hall of Fame's enshrinement ceremony on Aug. 8 is being postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic, league sources told ESPN.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Re: Other Sports & C19

Philip Hersh @olyphil

22 Dutch figure skaters and 6 coaches who attended a training camp in Belgium have been quarantined because one of the athletes was positive for Covid-19.

Brian Wacker
    @brianwacker1
    Breaking: Sources have confirmed there are multiple positive tests for COVID-19 on the PGA Tour, in addition to the one reported earlier this morning.

I was glad to see that a caddy testing positive (there have been at least 2 so far) was a reason for the player to have to withdraw from the tournament. There was absolutely NO social-distancing between player and caddy in the tournament I saw last week. I guess that is to be expected, but with that being as it was, a positive test by either one must disqualify the player from at least the next 2 weeks of tournaments. A total of 5 golfers withdrew from the current tournament...one tested positive himself, 2 had caddies that tested positive, and 2 withdrew because they had had close contact with one of the caddies who tested positive.

Now that we have this thread for the important sports and their reaction to the virus: Something we never mentioned in any thread to my knowledge about the important sport of curling is this:

In early March, the US Curling Association held the national Club Curling championships in Maryland. By about 2 weeks after the event, a total of 20 players had gotten sick and tested positive (I'm not aware that any testing was done on asymptomatic participants). Also, I don't know if 20 ended up being the total number. That was merely the number within 2 weeks, so it is probably the total, unless there were secondary cases related to those people, which there may well have been.

Anyway, I don't know why this was such a super-spreader event. I suspect it has to do with the socializing that happened off the ice. You wouldn't expect 20 cases from the amount of on-ice contact, but I suppose it's possible.

GH

NBA @NBA
    The NBA and NBPA have announced the following:

Malika Andrews
    @malika_andrews
    Adam Silver says that if there is a “significant spread" of COVID-19 in the bubble, "that may lead us to stopping” play.

Highlights From Adam Silver’s Presser On NBA Restart
    June 26th 2020 at 4:02pm CST by Luke Adams

Speaking to reporters today on a virtual news conference, NBA commissioner Adam Silver admitted that the league’s level of concern about the coronavirus situation in Florida has increased along with the number of cases in the area. However, Silver said that the NBA’s campus plan is designed to be isolated from cases in the surrounding community (Twitter link via Ira Winderman of The South Florida Sun Sentinel).

Of course, the NBA’s “campus environment” in Walt Disney World won’t be a true bubble, since Disney staffers will be permitted to come and go and could bring the virus in with them. According to Silver, the NBA is considering extra precautions to protect its players and staffers, including increased COVID-19 testing for those Disney employees who are in the same room as players (Twitter link via Winderman).

Here are a few more highlights from Silver’s conference call today:

The NBA will proceed with its season even if some individual players test positive for the coronavirus, and the league doesn’t have a formal policy in place for how it would handle a major outbreak of COVID-19 within its Disney campus. However, Silver said today, “If we were to have significant spread of coronavirus through our community, that ultimately might lead us to stopping (the season)“ (Twitter links via Mike Singer of the Denver Post and Vincent Goodwill of Yahoo Sports).

Along similar lines, Silver said that an individual coronavirus case will essentially be treated like an injury, but acknowledged that a severe outbreak within a single team could force the league to change that approach (Twitter links via Winderman).

Responding to an ESPN report that said the NBA will use local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies to secure its Disney campus, Silver stressed that those agencies won’t be present within the campus (Twitter link via David Aldridge of The Athletic). That doesn’t contradict the ESPN report, which noted that those law enforcement agencies would only be used outside of the campus to keep it secure.

According to Silver, it wasn’t the NBA’s first choice to resume its season on a “closed campus,” but data on the spread of the coronavirus forced the league’s hand (Twitter link via Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press).

Silver confirmed there will be daily COVID-19 testing on the Orlando campus, “at least to start” (Twitter link via ESPN’s Andrew Lopez).

Addressing the 16 positive tests among players this week, Silver said that none of those players is seriously ill (Twitter link via Rod Beard of The Detroit News).

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/06/...a-restart.html

Yet more pro golfers tested positive yesterday. It is clear (to me) that the PGA will have no choice for now but to continue without galleries. But I'm wondering how many more will test positive before they start considering the need to quit trying to have the tournaments at all.

Of course, given the wildfire of new cases across the country, the bigger issue is whether any such activity should be allowed until we have this under some semblance of control.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Highlights From Adam Silver’s Presser On NBA Restart
    June 26th 2020 at 4:02pm CST by Luke Adams

Along similar lines, Silver said that an individual coronavirus case will essentially be treated like an injury, but acknowledged that a severe outbreak within a single team could force the league to change that approach (Twitter links via Winderman).

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/06/...a-restart.html
    One of the things that makes me sick (pun intended) about this virus are all the improper comparisons made about it.
    When you have an injury you don't infect somebody else with the same injury ("Yeah, I got this torn ACL from Klay Thompson. He passed it to me").
    Or, of course, comparing wearing a mask with wearing a seatbelt: "it is my body, it is my choice to wear one!" (No, if YOU crash your car not wearing a seatbelt, YOU can get killed, but not the people outside. Although to be fair, if you DO NOT wear a seatbelt somewhere in a car, you can rocket into somebody else and injure them).
    And the final one: if you have an injury or do not wear a seatbelt (the example), it DOES NO SPREAD. This thing, as we have seen, has been spreading around the world.
    It simply has no comparison to anything we have seen recently.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

9:46 p.m.
    Minor League Baseball cancels 2020 season

With no players to fill rosters, no major television contracts to generate revenue and no way to put fans in seats, Minor League Baseball bowed to the inevitable Tuesday and canceled its 2020 season, which had already been delayed by nearly three months by the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The cancellation, first reported by Baseball America on Tuesday, came following a meeting of Minor League Baseball’s board of trustees. The organization released a statement confirming the decision Tuesday evening.

Read more here.

By Dave Sheinin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...7EXKECIZLXBSC4

Weirdly, the minor league baseball news is huge here. The Dayton team gets a really big following. It is not a large stadium, but it sells out most of the time. I had been wondering if the Dayton mayor would let them go forward with fans in the stands, if at all. Cases of the virus are rising rapidly here.

GH

37 Clemson football players have tested COVID-19 positive. What happens once they do?
    BY MATT CONNOLLY
    JUNE 30, 2020 10:07 AM , UPDATED JUNE 30, 2020 10:22 AM

Clemson announced Friday afternoon that 37 football players have tested positive for the coronavirus since the athletics department started testing in early June. In total, 43 student-athletes have tested positive for COVID-19.

Not all schools around the country are releasing results of athletes’ tests. Of the more than 40 that have, Clemson has announced the most positive tests in the country, according to USA Today — about one-third of the Tigers’ football roster.

Of the 43 student-athletes who tested positive at Clemson, 25 have recovered and are no longer considered to be active cases. No players have been hospitalized and approximately half of the cases are asymptomatic, according to Clemson.

So what happens when a player tests positive?

“If they test positive they’re moved to a different location. They’re moved out of their apartment to try to separate them from those who may not be infected,” Clemson Associate AD for strategic communications Jeff Kallin said. “What we do is we basically immediately move a person that tests positive into like a quarantine apartment and provide meals and check in with them twice a day for monitoring of symptoms.”

Known contacts of the player who tested positive are also tested, as are any players showing symptoms.

As of Friday, Clemson had performed 290 tests on student-athletes, with 43 of those coming back positive.

Once players are moved to isolation, “they’re heavily encouraged to stay within their apartments. We don’t have anybody standing outside the door to make sure that they don’t leave the apartment ever, but at that point they have tested positive and they are being told not to leave,” Kallin said.

Clemson originally had two positive cases among football players when they were first tested in early June. That number jumped to 23 as of June 19 and then to 37 on Friday.

Clemson has continued on with its voluntary workouts. Several schools, including Kansas State, UNLV and Houston, have stopped workouts due to outbreaks.

Student-athletes who test positive are allowed to return to workouts after they complete a 10-day isolation period, are no longer showing symptoms and have been re-examined by Clemson’s medical staff.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...243867197.html

Clemson's football team sounds like it qualifies as a "super-spreader" event. 1/3 of the team, but also two cases became 23 became 37. GH

I have no clue whether there will be a College Football season. I don't know how there can be at this point. But if there is, Clemson was the favorite to win the championship. Who knows whether anyone important enough to impact their season got it and will have aftereffects.
    Go Pack Go!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast