Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  0
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Best Matches Discussion

Looks to me like we have a winner.

The match some writers have called the best of all time emerges on top here as well.

Opening this thread of general contest comments, shared thoughts, and other errata.

------

For me, personally, I was pulling for the WTF Nalbandian/Federer match as my favorite quality match.

And here's a random bonus match from two who didn't get much attention (one not at all):

I disapprove of this message

Re: Best Matches Discussion

I was stoked to see Lindsay/Venus advance as far as it did.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

The selection of women's matches was very, very good. Despite the poor quality of some I could see what the players were doing and their thought processes. Watching Evert putting up a fight was a revelation to me since I hadn't seen her play in so long. My point of view that Seles is underappreciated and that she, not Graf moved the women's tour towards the power game - Big Babe Tennis if you will although she herself was not a big babe. I also remember all the talk about her being "chubby". Watching her matches I wonder what they would've said about some current players who are "bigger" and in poorer shape than Monica was.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane James. Finally there was a contest I could participate in!
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Well, the point was to see what we all thought collectively. For sure, the Venus/Lindsey match would never make it in my list (I was surprised it beat Borg/McEnroe, the golden standard for so many years).
    But the Roger/Rafa match, I believe, is the correct one. Two of the three greatests. At the greatest court. To the limit. And the quality was superb.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I did want separate ATP/WTA brackets initially, but didn't feel like we had enough even submissions for that.
    I disapprove of this message

Maybe we should a do best player bracket, and that would be easier to have both an ATP & WTA bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    The selection of women's matches was very, very good. Despite the poor quality of some I could see what the players were doing and their thought processes. Watching Evert putting up a fight was a revelation to me since I hadn't seen her play in so long. My point of view that Seles is underappreciated and that she, not Graf moved the women's tour towards the power game - Big Babe Tennis if you will although she herself was not a big babe. I also remember all the talk about her being "chubby". Watching her matches I wonder what they would've said about some current players who are "bigger" and in poorer shape than Monica was.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane James. Finally there was a contest I could participate in!
    None of her post stabbing matches were in this draw.

Seles grew a few inches while she was out of the game. She never attained peak fitness after her return. That's why she lost the US Open final to Graf upon her return in three sets. The next year Graf took her out in the final again in two sets.

Prior to the stabbing, Graf also beater her in a Wimbledon final 6-2, 6-1 so no, Seles was never a great athlete or mover, but her magic was in those hands and directing the ball wherever she wanted.

If you want to see something unexplainable, look at the Seles/Hingis matches and see how easily Hingis beats her. Just does not make sense.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Hingis was great at using the other player's pace. With a player like Seles, whom, as you say, was never a great mover, Hingis was good at sending the ball somewhere where she was not.
    Worked against Seles. Serena and Venus moved too well.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.