Agree Agree:  21
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Re: Virtual Tennis 2020

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    BBC Sports (and then quite a few based on them) apparently ran with this joke like it was a real tennis match.
    That’s where I read it! The jokes on me I guess

Edit: just checked the BBC and they have removed the article! Phew
    Last edited by liam_valid; 04-27-2020 at 12:20 PM.

The first day sounds like it was kind of a disaster, with laggy internet connections and announcers sitting around with dead air and/or butchering player names.

It sounds like Bencic was a standout--she arrived in her living room in full tennis outfit to "I Love Rock n Roll", and then pulled a game controller out of her racquet bag
    This is not the bouquet you toss

If you're interested in watching any of it, here are links to watch. One has a UK flag and the other ES flag, so I think it's likely an English feed and a Spanish one.

UK - https://fb.gg/mutuamadridopen
    ES - https://fb.gg/playstationES

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Gael Monfils @Gael_Monfils
    Sadly I will not be able to participate in the Virtual Mutua Madrid Open due to conflicting rights between streaming platforms. I wish all the best to all players and I hope to be able to play next time.

^ While there is sadly nothing new about Gael pulling out of a tournament at the last minute, this is ridiculous.
    Honestly allowing sponsorship BS to dictate whether you can play a bloody video game or not?!!? It's completely insane. What has the world come to? How petty can one be?
    This is even worse than players refusing to wear the official Davis Cup / Fed Cup jackets because they're made by a competitor of their clothing sponsor - which is ludicrous in itself.

This is not the time for allowing sponsorship BS to dictate every move you're allowed to make.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Thing is, there are these people that specialize in taking away all your money (or a lot) when you break contracts and such.
    I can't remember what they are called. Vultures?
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Thing is, there are these people that specialize in taking away all your money (or a lot) when you break contracts and such.
    Loan sharks?

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Drawing a blank.

So, it's essentially 'Your money or your life'... except that in these cases, instead of deciding to GIVE your money or your life to a thief, you must choose whether you get to KEEP your money or your life once you've signed the contract with the thief.

In a significant way, those who sell their freedom to the highest bidder like this get what they deserve. But that doesn't make it any less insanely ridiculous.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Sponsorships is where all the big money in tennis is, though.
    I disapprove of this message

Not sure why this topic is suddenly dominating this thread. But there's no reason to be upset at Gael. It's not a tennis sponsorship like Lacoste or Nike that's in conflict, it's a video game platform contract that's at issue. Something that he does outside of tennis. He's been promoting his play on Twitch since the quarantine started and it's doing well, he's able to get other French athletes to play against him. Twitch is a competitor to the platform that Virtual Mutua is being hosted on, Facebook Gaming, it's not regular Facebook. Mutua Madrid is most definitely now getting paid to host on that platform, it became an exclusive event that they are grouping with their esports push. Roger isn't popping up wearing a Hublot anytime soon, this is no different, and also not a big deal.

Think of the WC's at Miami. It's an IMG tournament. Think players represented by Octagon and need a WC are going to get one? It's no different. He signed a contract and he's honoring it.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Semifinals are set

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Not sure why this topic is suddenly dominating this thread. But there's no reason to be upset at Gael. It's not a tennis sponsorship like Lacoste or Nike that's in conflict, it's a video game platform contract that's at issue. Something that he does outside of tennis. He's been promoting his play on Twitch since the quarantine started and it's doing well, he's able to get other French athletes to play against him. Twitch is a competitor to the platform that Virtual Mutua is being hosted on, Facebook Gaming, it's not regular Facebook. Mutua Madrid is most definitely now getting paid to host on that platform, it became an exclusive event that they are grouping with their esports push. Roger isn't popping up wearing a Hublot anytime soon, this is no different, and also not a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Think of the WC's at Miami. It's an IMG tournament. Think players represented by Octagon and need a WC are going to get one? It's no different. He signed a contract and he's honoring it.
    ^ It's quite different with Wild Cards, as the players don't get to choose if they'll be granted a Wild Card or not - that choice is the tournament's to make. In this situation, there's little doubt that Monfils would like to participate in this video game 'tournament', and would choose to participate if he were free to make that choice (which, as a human being, he should be) - but his sponsor won't allow it. It's ludicrous.

Any way you word it, it's selling out - selling one's personal freedom. And I consider forfeiting one's personal freedom like this for money to be a very big deal. In this particular circumstance with Monfils, it's also incredibly petty and ridiculous that he is not permitted to play a video game because a big corporation owns and dictates his freedom to participate. So much for integrity...

The fact that some people find it to be 'no big deal' and perfectly normal is a sad reflection of today's society, where money is valued above all else, and where everything is for sale - even personal freedom.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 04-29-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Well, yes. It is SELLING OUT. No harm there. Roger sold his image to Rolex and Mercedes. So he cannot enjoy the pleasure of wearing an Omega or driving a BMW. In exchange for the torture of being deprived of those pleasures, he gets to wear any Rolex he fancies while twisting down a Swiss road on an AMG 63.
    The misery!
    I wonder how he manages to eat pasta, knowing that if he were to swallow as much as a single non-Barilla ravioli he will be in breach of contract. The poor man!
    (I would sell out to my local pizza parlor so quickly...)
    (And I am half joking)
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

NASCAR has been doing the equivalent with it's Pro Invitational Series on the platform iRacing. NASCAR drivers being set up in their homes with simulators ranging from very cheap to extravagant. It's been so popular with fans that they've been broadcasting them live on FOX's broadcast network. The platform, iRacing, has seen a huge rise in new subscriptions and all steering-wheel/pedal controllers have sold out everywhere.

It's surprisingly realistic, both as a driver and/or observer.

Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast