Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The Curling Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Internationally, on the men's side curling has been dominated by Canada, Sweden, Norway, and Scotland in recent years, but it is very competitive with the US taking the gold at the 2018 Olympics. On the women's side it's been even more competitive with those first four countries plus Korea, Japan, China, & Russia getting in the mix. It's hard to pick out specific match-ups at the moment because the competitions this season seem so long ago, but we'll have to post some good draws for people to watch while we wait for the world to start again. When it comes down to it, a good curling game is one in which both teams are playing well, similar to a good tennis match, and so almost any game can be enjoyable. Generally speaking, similar to tennis, there are multiple games in a draw, and usually TSN will pick one to focus on that means the most in terms of teams playing, or the event standings, but if that game is one-sided they will switch to a different sheet. We will have to set up some watch parties or something for events next season - assuming they happen.
    YOURE PLAYING A DANGEROUS GAME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by improbabledream View Post
    I have no idea what that means.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbabledream View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    I have no idea what that means.
    It must mean that, as curling is played on a sheet of ice, it's slippery, and therefore DANGEROUS, as people might slip and fall and hurt themselves.

(I've actually seen plenty of people hurt themselves when they fall while curling - including a broken leg this past season. So it is indeed a DANGEROUS GAME!)
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

But think - six major events - not sure how you would set up a suicide pool, but think of the possibilities folks.

And with that, I am calling it a night. It has been a long day of classes for the old man in the midst of changing professions. Way too much sitting in front of a computer for hours and hours today. About 16 (less about 1 1/2 hours for food breaks).
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Ok. Since I am responsible for this ...
    Do all teams have their own stones? Or are the games played with a set shared of stones?
    ^ As previously mentioned, each curling club (and tournament) has its own set of stones - 16 per sheet of ice (with maybe a few spares in the shed). The 16 stones (or rocks) are divided into two sets of 8, and coloured differently (one set of 8 red, and one set of 8 blue, for example - the handles create the colour).
    Each stone weighs roughly 40 lbs, and costs close to $500 (new), or upwards of $10,000 for a set of 16.
    The handles are separate from the stone, are typically made of plastic, and can be easily removed/replaced.
    Each player throws two rocks per end.

https://canadacurlingstone.on.ca/pro...urling-stones/

In lawn bowling - which shares several similarities to curling - each player owns his/her own balls (typically called 'bowls'). As I recall, there are different types of bowls available, with different weight variations (they are weighted on one side to make them curl toward that side when they slow down).
    Watch this great shot (the goal is to be the ball closest to the small white ball - called the 'jack')...

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...shot-1.5439441
    Curlers - and curling fans - have to appreciate that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Does curling have Grand Slams? Like, are there four tournaments that...
    You got it.
    ^ The 'grand slams' in curling are events that are created by Sportsnet (TSN's main competitor). While they boast strong teams, they are not viewed with nearly the respect or prestige with which tennis's Grand Slam tournaments are viewed. Not even equal to Indian Wells in my opinion. I see curling's 'grand slams' as being essentially made for TV events (though there are live spectators). In terms of importance and prestige, they don't come close to equaling the Brier (Canadian Men's Championships), Tournament of Hearts (Canadian Women's Championships), European Championships (men & women, separately), or World Championships (men & women, separately).
    Last edited by Deuce*; 04-29-2020 at 03:01 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

One slight clarification to the above note: The European Championships for the 2 genders (A levels) happen in the same building over the same week. They alternate sessions of men's matches and women's matches, having either 3 or 4 sessions per day during the round-robin portion of the event. There are fewer matches per day during the semi-finals and finals at the end of the week. The B levels occur at the same time, but on different sheets of ice. Sometimes the A and B levels are held in the same building (e.g. Tallinn, Estonia where there were enough ice sheets for this to occur), and at other times in different buildings (either in the same town, like in Karlstad, Sweden, or in nearby towns, like when the A levels were held in Champery, Switzerland).

In the last couple of years, the medal round at European's has consisted of semi-finals pitting the first and fourth teams from the round-robin and the 2nd and 3rd teams. The winners play for gold and the losers play for bronze. Prior to the last few years, the Page play-off system was used which is a bit more complicated (described well in a Wikipedia article). The Page play-off is still used in quite a few competitions.

World Championships truly are men and women separately, in different countries during different weeks of the late winter or early spring. And those championships are basically "A level" only. There is only one group of teams competing, again round-robin followed by play-offs.

In Europe, there is even a C level championship, for countries' teams that didn't qualify for B based on the previous year's results. Since the C championships result in 2 teams of each gender qualifying for the B championships of the same year, the C level is held earlier in the season in a different place. Movement between B and A occurs based on each year's European Championships. The top 2 B teams of each gender move up and the bottom 2 A teams move down, affecting the next year's championship field. And the bottom 2 B teams of each gender have to compete in C the next season.

The European qualifiers for the World Championships are also determined at the European Championships each year (in a somewhat complicated process that even involves the winner of the B level (only the gold medalist) having a chance to play into the World Championship field).

Enough rambling.....GH

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^ The 'grand slams' in curling are events that are created by Sportsnet (TSN's main competitor). While they boast strong teams, they are not viewed with nearly the respect or prestige with which tennis's Grand Slam tournaments are viewed. Not even equal to Indian Wells in my opinion. I see curling's 'grand slams' as being essentially made for TV events (though there are live spectators). In terms of importance and prestige, they don't come close to equaling the Brier (Canadian Men's Championships), Tournament of Hearts (Canadian Women's Championships), European Championships (men & women, separately), or World Championships (men & women, separately).
    Yeah, that's what I was going to point out... since TSN has rights to Brier and Scotties they aren't part of the "Grand Slam." As they are national championships they are the ones considered "most" important - to the curlers at least. However the field is is limited to 1 team per "province" or territory, plus the defending champion and a wild card team that has a one game play-in to make tournament (top ranked teams that didn't qualify through provincials.) So some of the Grand Slam events can have technically stronger fields as you could have 3-4 teams from the stronger provinces and none from the weaker ones - plus international teams. I remember one grand slam last year where the quarterfinals of the tournaments had 7 of the top 8 teams in the world. But any Canadian team would trade that Grand Slam for a Brier/Scotties win.

Generally the Grand Slams are mostly Canadian teams with a few of the other international teams mentioned above - for men sometimes just the Edin team.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 04-29-2020 at 06:49 AM.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Also, not sure if people have been following, but the "end of season" team changes have begun...

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/ei...eason-2020-21/

The shocker for me was Team Homan giving Lisa Weagle the boot. She was their lead and one of the best leads ever...she was so good at tick shots they often refer to people making a shot as making a Weagle. They had seemed to be a pretty close team and she wasn't told about the decision until after it happened so was a surprise for me at least. I was amused when she immediately joined Colleen Jones team as an "alternate" - Homan's main rival over the last decade. I expect her to sub in for Dawn MacEwen quite often, probably with MacEwen not attending many tournaments.

Supposedly replacement Sarah Wilkes is a better sweeper, which is odd considering she was playing as a third the last few years.

I had totally missed the announcement of Mary-Anne Arsenault (who often practiced at the Bluenose same time as son was playing) teaming up with Kelly Scott's old team in BC. We knew she was moving there and rumor was she would find a team, but hadn't heard she had already found one. Arsenault was competitive in Scotties with her own team of mostly younger players and Scotties rookies...will definitely be interesting with a veteran team...although I don't know if she quite has the shot making - that team would be a prime team for her to not through last stones but have her skip if they could find someone.

Also will be interesting to see where Chelsea Carey winds up. Two time Scotties winner, but goes through many lineup changes, almost yearly, so not sure if she is someone people enjoy playing with? Her dad is the one who gained notoriety this year for telling a rules official to "shut up" (a scandal in the curling world!)
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 04-29-2020 at 06:52 AM.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...rink-1.5548169

I have to laugh at the way she words this... "While rare, Jones thought the extra person could help if any curler in the rink became pregnant or injured."

For those of you who haven't followed curling:

What you are seeing in those posts by PT is the fact that there are many, many rinks (teams) and individual players in Canada who are at the top level of skills internationally. Many of them will never see a world team, simply due to the numbers. Luckily, many of them can play at one of the Grand Slams. The depth in the sport in Canada is amazing. The rest of the curling world is aware that the hardest thing in the world to win is the national championship of Canada.

GH

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I moved this thread to the Talk About Other Sports subforum so it doesn't show up in the Tennis RPB. Now it shows up in the Recent Non-Tennis RPB.
    Tiz the Dude! Now a winner after his second race!

Always some kind of issue when nelsus starts a thread.

Funny story from son's curling yesterday. The person at desk had to leave for a bit so had a parent watching the door. When she got back she asked if anyone showed up and he said "Oh just Brad Gushue and Colleen Jones!" Without a beat she says "well, that was a mistake, Colleen's not due on the ice until 2!"

(Backstory for those who this won't make sense to - Brad is an olympic champion curler, and Collen won several Canadian championships - but curls out of same rink as son, foiling the attempt at a joke.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123