Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  2

View Poll Results: Which match was better?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Federer and Nadal

11 64.71%
  • Sampras and Agassi

6 35.29%
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Best Match Match-up #5

Group #5
    2006 Rome final - Federer and Nadal
    2002 US Open Final - Sampras vs. Agassi

Federer vs Nadal (Rome 2006)

I disapprove of this message

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Best Match Match-up #5

Sampras vs. Agassi (2002 USO)

I disapprove of this message

Just an FYI on the Nadal vs Federer match in Rome, for those who like to watch regular match play and not highlight form, there's a good portion of it the match up on YT in 480p. And the entire 5th set tiebreak is available in HD if you want to watch that in real time instead of the sped up version done for highlights. Let me know if anyone needs help finding it if you want to watch more of that match.

I voted Nadal-Federer (I truly believe it was the better match), but the 2002 final will always be a very special memory for us Sampras fans. We can say that not only the last match we saw from him he won, the LAST POINT he ever played was a serve-and-volley winner combo.
    He went out on the absolute high.
    (And yes, I know, he was boring, dumb, gave nothing back, and on and on. This post is just for the other Sampras fan )
    (And second: in this match, he hit more BH winners than Andre. Like he always did in all their matches at the USO)
    Last edited by ponchi101; 04-09-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

The fact that a final for a lesser Master Series title is beating Sampras winning a then unprecedented 14th grand slam title and immediately retiring is very telling about his popularity among fans
    This is not the bouquet you toss

But I said it above. I think quality wise, FEDAL was a better match. I voted for it.
    More important match? Sure, Sampras securing a 14th title. But that was not the question
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    The fact that a final for a lesser Master Series title is beating Sampras winning a then unprecedented 14th grand slam title and immediately retiring is very telling about his popularity among fans
    I don't think it's about popularity at all. Since when is that what we're voting on here? Are people just voting for their favorite players and not the actual match?

I'm not suggesting that they are (although I think you are fooling yourself if you don't think people are voting for their favorite players, as they will naturally think the tennis is better), but a match is much more exciting to me when the stakes are higher. It just seemed like a no-brainer to me that Sampras/Agassi would win this matchup, so I'm expressing surprise over the result of the voting.

For me, there are more elements in play in my voting than just the quality of the tennis (which is highly subjective)--historical impact and my overall emotional response are definitely factoring into my decision.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 04-10-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    I'm not suggesting that they are (although I think you are fooling yourself if you don't think people are voting for their favorite players, as they will naturally think the tennis is better), but a match is much more exciting to me when the stakes are higher. It just seemed like a no-brainer to me that Sampras/Agassi would win this matchup, so I'm expressing surprise over the result of the voting.
    Yeah, we can't say it plays no part. I remember Roddick - Federer being a good match and very "important." But I was a Roddick fan so it was seemed more important to me than it would have been to most so hard for me not to think that it was a better match than I'm guessing most think it was.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!