Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Heh...should we include some Isner matches with no breaks of service in them too?
    Sure. You start. But name me one FOUR SET match that was better than this one Isner's are usually three sets and five rallies over 6 shots. This one.... you get my point
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

  2. #17

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Yes I was being facetious But Isner-Mahut should be on the list.

    One match I always think of... more fascinating than "great" though is Serena-Hantuchova at 2007 Wimbledon when Serena, barely able to walk came back and beat Hantuchova who choked closing out an injured opponent.

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nnis.wimbledon
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

  3. #18
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    mmmm8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    51,487

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Yes I was being facetious But Isner-Mahut should be on the list.

    One match I always think of... more fascinating than "great" though is Serena-Hantuchova at 2007 Wimbledon when Serena, barely able to walk came back and beat Hantuchova who choked closing out an injured opponent.

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nnis.wimbledon

    That one is up there with Federer coming back to beat Haas at the 2009 RG are two of the cringe-worthiest ones I'd ever seen, right after that awful Federer Hewitt USO final


  4. #19

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    That one is up there with Federer coming back to beat Haas at the 2009 RG are two of the cringe-worthiest ones I'd ever seen, right after that awful Federer Hewitt USO final
    You had to revisit that horrible memory, didn't you?
    Meet again we do, old foe...

  5. #20

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Rafter-Agassi 2000 Wimbledon semifinal (which was better than the repeat 5-setter they played in the 2001 semis, with Rafter winning both).

    Bruguera-Courier 1993 Roland Garros final
    Safin-Federer 2005 Aussie Open semifinal

    My two cents on the Agassi-Sampras U.S. Open 4-setter: the most overrated match of my lifetime. All four tiebreakers were littered with errors, with Sampras handing the first one to Agassi and Agassi falling apart in the next three. In between, the service games were monotonous. Agassi could not return Sampras's serve, and Sampras was in trouble from Agassi's first groundstroke on Agassi's serves. Two fantastic players, but the tiebreaks were tremendous letdowns.

  6. #21

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    The Rome 2006 final between federer and nadal is, for me, the most underrated match they ever played. I dont know why its the first one that comes to mind, but Definitely the best match they ever played on clay.

  7. #22

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    My two favorite matches:

    Venus v. Davenport Wimbledon 2005 F
    Federer v. Safin AO 2005 SF

    I often find myself going back and rewatching highlights from:
    Nadal v. Federer 2008 Wimbledon F
    Nadal v. Coria 2005 Rome F
    Clijsters v. Henin 2010 Brisbane F
    Serena v. Sharapova 2005 AO SF
    Seles v. Graf 1992 FO F
    Serena v. Henin 2010 AO F

    Hmm, do I detect a bit of bias towards matches where my favorite wins...?
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

    "If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

  8. #23

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    My two favorite matches:

    Venus v. Davenport Wimbledon 2005 F
    Federer v. Safin AO 2005 SF

    I often find myself going back and rewatching highlights from:
    Nadal v. Federer 2008 Wimbledon F
    Nadal v. Coria 2005 Rome F
    Clijsters v. Henin 2010 Brisbane F
    Serena v. Sharapova 2005 AO SF
    Seles v. Graf 1992 FO F
    Serena v. Henin 2010 AO F

    Hmm, do I detect a bit of bias towards matches where my favorite wins...?
    Thanks to you I watched Seles vs Graf FO Final 1992. That was a hell of a match. It made me more of a Seles fan because she was fighting a determined Graf and a pro Graf crowd. Wiki said something about it being voted the best women's match of the 20th century. I agree.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.




  9. #24

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Thanks to you I watched Seles vs Graf FO Final 1992. That was a hell of a match. It made me more of a Seles fan because she was fighting a determined Graf and a pro Graf crowd. Wiki said something about it being voted the best women's match of the 20th century. I agree.
    Yay! I'd say the sustained quality of that match and the sheer determination from both players was unsurpassed until that ridiculous 2005 Wimbledon final with Venus and Lindsay.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

    "If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

  10. #25

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Yay! I'd say the sustained quality of that match and the sheer determination from both players was unsurpassed until that ridiculous 2005 Wimbledon final with Venus and Lindsay.
    I got it. If I can find the complete match I will watch it.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.




  11. #26

    Re: Best Matches of Tennis Community Contest

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I got it. If I can find the complete match I will watch it.
    Definitely put the 2014 Wimbledon match between Venus and Kvitova on your list in case it gets played or you can find it online. It gets overlooked because it was a 3rd Round match.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •