Agree Agree:  251
Likes Likes:  195
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1429353637383940414243 LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    It's very unlikely that USO semi finalists would travel to play in Madrid on clay few days later. Not because of altitude, but because no sane player is playing a week after going far in a Slam. It's just asking for an injury...
    Yup even the quarter finalists ....Madrid schedule will be a huge headache for the organizers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    To be fair, Pouille wasn't in the Djokovic shindig and is out of the UTS competition. While I think gatherings of this size are stupid at the moment, France has pretty much opened up for this type of event, so Pouille is not doing anything "wrong" per se.
    Yeah I thought of this but didn't care enough about Pouille to check on France's current regulations and peck it all out. Thanks!
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Apparently, he got his friend to take down the video, got his girlfriend to post old videos to make it look like he was still in Zadar, and unfollowed a fan account of his that called him out. The fan account had been following him, and even organizing meet ups, for five years.

A lot of his fans on Twitter and Reddit are saying they're jumping ship. People are pissed.
    Did he think people wouldn't find out? That the blinding sight of so much white linen in one room would conceal his face? The whole thing is astounding.

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    Yup even the quarter finalists ....Madrid schedule will be a huge headache for the organizers.

It will be, but any burden on players or organizers earns the world's smallest violin from me. Deal with it or don't play, especially the top players. Any quarterfinalist at the Open will make a ton of money and points, so skipping Madrid or taking a Wednesday start should be tolerable. A losing quarterfinalist at the Open can leave NY on Wednesday or Thursday (men's quarters are played on Tuesday and Wednesday). Take a few days to adjust to the altitude and surface (I'd say time zone, too, but players deal with jet lag all the time). Be ready to play on Tuesday or Wednesday. Easy, no. But they turn around from clay to grass-court tournaments in a week or so in the summer.

A semifinalist or finalist not named Tsitsipas or Thiem would probably have to withdraw.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 06-29-2020 at 06:04 AM.

I don't think anyone looking for a sympathy here. We're just pointing out that Madrid will have an unusually weak field this year. There might be some skipping USO as well.
    Roger forever

I don't think anybody here is looking for sympathy, but the players are. When they talk about traveling from NYC to Madrid as "not being safe", I get Megan's comment about playing a small violin. They make it sound as if going UP TO 667 meters OSL is a death defying trick.
    For comparison. When Rafa and Nole played their exo here in Bogota, they went from 0 MSOL to 2800 MSOL and back to 0 meters in about 24 hours (Indian Wells, Bogota, Key Biscayne). Sure, no change of surface but they added some significant miles and both had reached late stages at IW.
    So sometimes they do sound a bit whiny.
    Plus: if they play USO (Hard) and then RG will be in a couple of weeks, going through Madrid and getting back on clay is not completely insane. It is not as if the moment you finish the USO you can't start doing the transition
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Iím assuming that any mandatory tournaments will no longer be mandatory for the rest of this year?

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Covid19 & Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Iím assuming that any mandatory tournaments will no longer be mandatory for the rest of this year?
    Correct but not official as of now

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I don't think anyone looking for a sympathy here. We're just pointing out that Madrid will have an unusually weak field this year. There might be some skipping USO as well.
    Oh, I didn't mean anyone here (if TAT is what you meant by "here") is looking or sympathy or feeling sorry for players. Meant the top players bitching and moaning about it.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 06-29-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Plus: if they play USO (Hard) and then RG will be in a couple of weeks, going through Madrid and getting back on clay is not completely insane. It is not as if the moment you finish the USO you can't start doing the transition
    And it's not as if anyone is forced to play. Sure, they want to play. Maybe there's some pressure behind the scenes, like from tournament organizers and sponsors and agents - I'm sure Murray doesn't want to let his buddy Feliciano Lopez down by not playing his event (btw - so insane than an active player can be a tournament director). But there are bigger issues right now.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    I’m assuming that any mandatory tournaments will no longer be mandatory for the rest of this year?
    I sure hope so. The word "mandatory" is just a huge lawsuit waiting to happen if anyone gets sick.

Basically this is the same schedule RG and Wimbledon had for years, a two week separation.

The problem here is that USO and RG will be on two different continents, and after such a long layoff, the players' bodies will not be in travelling shape and more prone to injuries/fatigue if they try to play USO/Madrid/Rome/RG.

Throw in the fact that most top players don't play the week before a slam, you've got players who haven't played for months going from slam to slam without any warm up events. So inevitably some will now wind up playing the week before a slam.

You can be unsympathetic all you want, but you can't dismiss the schedule as anything less than challenging. What the schedule really needs is one more week between USO and RG.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Zverev makes it so hard to like him.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

In you can't troll a troll news, Boris Becker has been thoroughly pwned by Nicholas Kyrgios on Twitter when he tried to step in and defend Zverev's actions
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Lol that doughnut tweet from Nick.

Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1429353637383940414243 LastLast