Agree Agree:  310
Likes Likes:  256
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 328434950515253

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

José Morgado @josemorgado

Marca reporting that there was a secret zoom call between players, USTA and ATP. Players said that the top 20 will collectively withdraw if they aren’t assured that they don’t have to quarantine in Europe coming from the USO

Reunión de urgencia de la USTA y ATP con los tenistas: los 'Top20' no ven claro viajar al US Open si no se arreglan las cuarentenas
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Marca reporting that there was a secret zoom call between players, USTA and ATP. Players said that the top 20 will collectively withdraw if they aren’t assured that they don’t have to quarantine in Europe coming from the USO

Reunión de urgencia de la USTA y ATP con los tenistas: los 'Top20' no ven claro viajar al US Open si no se arreglan las cuarentenas
    With all of the ridiculous plot twists, tennis right now has become as ridiculous as a typically bad reality show...
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Why can't they just get a rapid test when they get to Europe?
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Why can't they just get a rapid test when they get to Europe?
    Probably because of false negatives.

I really should read how the test is performed and if there's a "window period" when even if infected, it is not detected just like HIV.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Some of the unresolved issues :

Svitolina, Bertens out of US Open before they’re in

https://opencourt.ca/wordpress/2020/...ore-theyre-in/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post

I really should read how the test is performed and if there's a "window period" when even if infected, it is not detected just like HIV.
    Test reliability has been among the litany of challenges for the pandemic. I'll note again that I have a family member who certainly was infected with characteristic symptoms including the hallmark taste/smell bit, but never received any positive test; only negatives (her daughter was positive, too).
    I disapprove of this message

Covid19 & Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Alyssa Milano posted that she had a severe case, and tested negative three times until she finally tested positive for antibodies on a fourth test, AFTER she was feeling better.

A negative test tells you nothing.
    Last edited by MJ2004; 08-07-2020 at 08:10 AM.

My brother also most certainly had it and his test came back negative.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Same with a good friend of mine - she couldn't get approved to be tested early on and by the time they approved her for a test, she tested negative. She was sick for over a month, with the chest heaviness, high fevers, etc. Her husband had traveled in March prior to her getting sick. Her immune system was likely compromised from having had Lyme disease.
    My Happy Place

I guess players expect the US Open to arrange for them to not have to quarantine when the get back home, but how can the Open negotiate that with every country represented in the draw - even considering the EU takes care of a lot of countries in one shot?
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 08-08-2020 at 02:04 AM.

With all of the logistical problems of holding tournaments this year - the unreliability of tests among them -, as well as the obvious inherent health risks, I've got an idea... just off the top of my head...
    How about not playing any more tournaments this year?

Sigh...

I see your point but that is not what people want.
    I say: do bubbles. The NBA seems to be getting it right. Around the USA and Europe you have plenty of resorts with enough facilities, which must be closed at the moment, to set up some tournaments. As long as you get some TV coverage to make them a bit profitable, and if players understand that drop in prizes, some could work.
    Do one week tournaments. A 32 draw can be handled with 4 courts. Winners move to new tournaments as weeks follow.
    Or, do Nationals. Nothing wrong there.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Palermo is doing all right this week. Let's see if that continues in Prague and most importantly in Lexington.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The NBA seems to be getting it right.
    ^ It's still quite early for the NBA, NHL, and even the fiasco of MLB.
    Let's see where things are in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I see your point but that is not what people want.
    ^ Since when have the majority been insightful or right?
    Typycally, 'the people' see no further than their own nose; if something doesn't affect them directly, it must be ok. They just want to be 'entertained', regardless of the consequences to anyone outside of their lives.

"Phocion took it right, when, in being applauded by the multitude, asked 'What have I done amiss?'" - Francis Bacon.

I should have been more specific. Not "the people", but rather "the players, the tournament directors, the sponsors, etc". You get the point.
    And yes, don't get me started on the wisdom of the people, but in the end, they drive the show. So in that, we agree.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 328434950515253