Agree Agree:  33
Likes Likes:  28
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

In terms of debating the GOAT, this is helpful to Roger, but I bet he still hates it. He loves tennis, and would want one last legitimate shot at Wimbledon and the Olympics. An extra tick on the biological clock lowers those chances.

Serena's already the women's GOAT, in my opinion, but this is the worst for her. She really wants another slam, and missing a Wimbledon and USO cripples her chances.

I might have bet on it anyway, but now I think it's highly likely neither Federer or Serena wins another slam.

Different question...which young player does this help or hurt? I'm thinking this could be good for Andreescu and her knee. Who else?

Quote Originally Posted by texasniteowl View Post
    Different question...which young player does this help or hurt? I'm thinking this could be good for Andreescu and her knee. Who else?
    Andreescu is the biggest example. A break might also be nice for some of the players going through personal difficulties, like Anisimova or Azarenka. It might be nice for Gauff to have a break from the pressure. Maybe Kyrgios will be able to chill out and rediscover a love of tennis.

Lousy for anyone with momentum. Barty is the top example. She was playing well enough to hold on to the #1 ranking for a good chunk of time. Terrible timing for Kenin. Particularly bad for anyone older who was going to make one last stab at the Olympics. I'd include Federer, Venus, Serena, Strycova, Tsonga. Probably bad for Clijsters, who was just getting into the swing of things.

Quote Originally Posted by texasniteowl View Post
    I think time means little for Andreescu, she was out already and that body is struggling at a very young age. Good for her knee? Can't hurt. But last year it was her shoulder.

Which younger players it helps?

1) Players with rich parents because it likely means that they live in a house with a tennis court and can definitely continue to work on their game and not just stay in shape during the quarantine like many players must focus on.

2) Players with a base in Florida. DeSantis is an idiot that doesn't care who dies and with no statewide shutdown, several players have been able to practice even when there is no court at their home.

3) Players in countries with lesser measures. Some places seem like they may have social distancing orders, but no strict rules on working out or limiting sports like tennis and golf where there's less contact.

4) This goes with 3, but players physically in East Asia. With many East Asian countries flattening the curve and gearing regular industry back up somewhat as quarantine measures are relaxed, I'd assume they can practice tennis more often and be well ahead of others on form if/when the season resumes.

5) What does "young" mean? Do Osaka, Thiem, Zverev, and Tsitsipas count? Advantage to all of them if so because they've been at this long enough to be able to withstand the break I think. In fact, I think the time off will do them some good since all have shown signs at times of burnout at the week in and week out grind of the tour.

Who it hurts?

Almost everyone else, but the players with the strictest measures are worse off. For instance, Rybakina and Potapova are both in Moscow. Potapova posted something outside the other day, it's plausible she could have been allowed to play tennis then, but now she can't leave her apartment at all with the sudden Moscow lockdown. Rybakina was sailing into the Top 10 and Potapova seemed to have regained some of her promising form from last year and was heading towards top 50. Now? Anyone's guess if either go right back to where they were before this all began. Iga Swiatek is another that seems to have stricter limits in Warsaw.

Following the injury line of thinking, it definitely helps Murray. More time to recover and come back at a more similar level.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

None of the young players benefit. Everybody knows there is a difference between training and playing real matches. Which is what they need.
    Missing winter...

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Konta who is dealing with a knee injury said it is not ideal because she doesn’t have access to the medical team

This is not ideal for the knee,' she said. 'I don't have access to the equipment that I specifically need and no physio, or fitness trainer.

'I can't bring what I need into the flat. I need a leg press machine. That specific knee exercise, I can't do right now. But I'm not getting too stressed over it. There's nothing we can do

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...-pandemic.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    Konta who is dealing with a knee injury said it is not ideal because she doesn’t have access to the medical team

This is not ideal for the knee,' she said. 'I don't have access to the equipment that I specifically need and no physio, or fitness trainer.

'I can't bring what I need into the flat. I need a leg press machine. That specific knee exercise, I can't do right now. But I'm not getting too stressed over it. There's nothing we can do.
    Ahh. I really hadn't thought about that. The break is less harmful to injured players who just need time and rest, but lousy for injured players who need specific rehab.

The WTA is in disarray in terms of predictability. It will be in disarray when tennis comes back.

It would be great to see a player reinvent themselves and come out like gangbusters, but more likely we will just see streakiness from tournament to tournament.

Gone it seems is the era of tennis prodigies, with Serena being the last one.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Patrick McEnroe @PatrickMcEnroe

Update...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1245019581137276930
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567