Agree Agree:  337
Likes Likes:  257
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 833485455565758

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

Lukas Lacko @lukilacko
    Some updates regarding AO. Will be fun I guess.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Tumaini Carayol
    @tumcarayol
    Players will still have to adhere to the two week quarantine in Australia and Tennis Australia is still looking to set up 'Quarantine Hubs' for players so that they can practice during that period. TA is advising them to arrive before December 14th (new season begins Jan 1st).

I think the plan is perfectly reasonable. I think the effect will be some of the top players deciding to go to the AO with zero warm up tournaments. They'll prefer to train longer at home base.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Everyone needs to realize, though, that today's plans are hardly written in stone. A a hell of a lot can change between now and December.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Verdasco to sue French Open after positive COVID-19 test saga
    By Reuters Staff

MADRID (Reuters) - Spanish tennis player Fernando Verdasco has announced his intention to sue the French Open organisers after he was forced to withdraw from the tournament due to a positive coronavirus test which he insists was not accurate.

Verdasco, the world number 59, pulled out of the final Grand Slam of the year in Paris on Thursday, along with five other players including Canada’s Milos Raonic and Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic, after giving a positive test.

The 36-year-old Spaniard said he had tested positive in August without symptoms and had returned several negative tests before heading to Paris for the tournament.

Verdasco asked for another test but his request was turned down. He has given a negative result since withdrawing.

“Yes, evidently I want (to sue). No-one can believe that a tournament such as Roland Garros can do this, it cannot be like this,” he told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser on Tuesday.

“This isn’t about money, it’s about the damage that has been done to me personally and professionally.”

The French Open did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bosnia’s Damir Dzumhur had previously announced his plans to sue the organisers after he was expelled from the tournament after his coach Petar Popovic tested positive.

Since Dzumhur and Verdasco were barred from competing, the organisers have said that the local health authority ruled on Friday that if a player could prove with a “documented file approved by experts” that they already have been infected by coronavirus, they would not be considered “contagious” and therefore would not be ejected from the tournament.

Verdasco said the rule change had only made him more angry, adding he was not sure if he wanted to play again in 2020.

“I don’t know if I’m going to play again this year or not because I don’t have any enthusiasm to play any more. They (French Open organisers) do whatever they like, with no coherence and no respect,” he added.

“The rights of the players count for nothing. You can imagine my anger, it’s incredible, they showed a huge lack of respect to a player who has spent the last 16 years competing at Roland Garros.

“And then the next day, after I have been left out of the draw, they change the rules and now you can do a second test. That was the final straw.”

Reporting by Richard Martin; Editing by Ken Ferris

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-t...source=twitter

What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Verdasco to sue French Open after positive COVID-19 test saga
    By Reuters Staff

MADRID (Reuters) - Spanish tennis player Fernando Verdasco has announced his intention to sue the French Open organisers after he was forced to withdraw from the tournament due to a positive coronavirus test which he insists was not accurate.

Verdasco, the world number 59, pulled out of the final Grand Slam of the year in Paris on Thursday, along with five other players including Canada’s Milos Raonic and Switzerland’s Belinda Bencic, after giving a positive test.

The 36-year-old Spaniard said he had tested positive in August without symptoms and had returned several negative tests before heading to Paris for the tournament.

Verdasco asked for another test but his request was turned down. He has given a negative result since withdrawing.

“Yes, evidently I want (to sue). No-one can believe that a tournament such as Roland Garros can do this, it cannot be like this,” he told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser on Tuesday.

“This isn’t about money, it’s about the damage that has been done to me personally and professionally.”

The French Open did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Bosnia’s Damir Dzumhur had previously announced his plans to sue the organisers after he was expelled from the tournament after his coach Petar Popovic tested positive.

Since Dzumhur and Verdasco were barred from competing, the organisers have said that the local health authority ruled on Friday that if a player could prove with a “documented file approved by experts” that they already have been infected by coronavirus, they would not be considered “contagious” and therefore would not be ejected from the tournament.

Verdasco said the rule change had only made him more angry, adding he was not sure if he wanted to play again in 2020.

“I don’t know if I’m going to play again this year or not because I don’t have any enthusiasm to play any more. They (French Open organisers) do whatever they like, with no coherence and no respect,” he added.

“The rights of the players count for nothing. You can imagine my anger, it’s incredible, they showed a huge lack of respect to a player who has spent the last 16 years competing at Roland Garros.

“And then the next day, after I have been left out of the draw, they change the rules and now you can do a second test. That was the final straw.”

Reporting by Richard Martin; Editing by Ken Ferris

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-t...source=twitter
    Personal damage? Like what, some stress and frustration? No one thinks ill of him. It's not shameful to get Covid.

He says he's not suing for money, but that's what the damage will be. And he can't be expecting v much - his earning potential at RG likely wouldn't have been very high. He has made the fourth round a number of times here, including two years ago. So at the most, cut him a check for R4 prize money and a few grand for expenses and settle, if that's cheaper and easier than paying lawyers. He did not likely incur multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; Yesterday at 03:59 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Tumaini Carayol
    @tumcarayol
    Players will still have to adhere to the two week quarantine in Australia and Tennis Australia is still looking to set up 'Quarantine Hubs' for players so that they can practice during that period. TA is advising them to arrive before December 14th (new season begins Jan 1st).
    If this pans out, I'm guessing we'll see some lean fields at the first tournaments in Australia. Maybe players will make an exception this year, but the majority of them are close to their families and like to be home for the holiday season. So many differences between players, but this is something I've found to be common among players whether young or experienced.

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 833485455565758