Agree Agree:  303
Likes Likes:  252
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 227424849505152

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Oleg S. @AnnaK_4ever

Belinda Bencic refused to step on the court in a Swiss interclub tournament against Leonie Küng who had just returned from WTA Palermo.
    Bencic's team apparently deemed meeting Küng (who tested negative & was cleared to play by doctors) unsafe. Küng's team withdrew in protest.

Leonie Küng's mother:
    "Our team was locked down in a changing room because they thought Leonie was there but she wasn't on the grounds at the time. On arrival she was treated really dirty. Nobody wanted to play against Leonie"

Omess posted about a player testing positive in Palermo(post 763). To my knowledge the player wasn't named anywhere but the players know who it was! Bencic's reaction could indicate that Küng played against this woman or is friendly with her. The player should've been named.
    I don't think they can name a player because of medical privacy stuff. // I support anyone erring on the side of safety. But you can play someone in singles and not get anywhere near them.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Christopher Clarey @christophclarey

Simona Halep has decided to remain on the entry list for the US Open. Could have withdrawn now if she knew for sure she was not going to make the trip. But the final decision on whether or not she plays will be made much closer to the tournament according to her team
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Christopher Clarey @christophclarey

Simona Halep has decided to remain on the entry list for the US Open. Could have withdrawn now if she knew for sure she was not going to make the trip. But the final decision on whether or not she plays will be made much closer to the tournament according to her team
    She never does very well in New York. Why not stay in Europe and practice on clay to prepare for the French? Oh, well. I hate it when people question a player's scheduling decisions, so I'm not doing that. Just a curiosity.

Luca Fiorino @LucaFiorino24 ·Aug 1
    La giocatrice risultata positiva č Viktorija Tomova of Bulgaria

The player who results positive for #Covid19 is Viktorija Tomova of Bulgaria

The problem with not naming any player that tests positive is that then, for all practical purposes, ALL players tested positive. You would not know who in the locker room is the one with the condition.
    I understand that there are always medical confidentiality issues. But this is different.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

I agree with Bencic's position.

Unnamed female player set to play in Palermo Ladies Open tests positive for coronavirus as Bulgaria's Viktoriya Tomova is removed from schedule due to 'illness'... but the season-opening event WILL still go ahead
    Palermo Ladies Open qualifying matches brought to an end the sport's hiatus
    It should have been a moment of joy and relief for the handful of spectators
    But just before play began, news was released one qualifier had tested positive
    Bulgarian Viktoriya Tomova was removed from the schedule due to 'illness'

By MIKE DICKSON FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY
    PUBLISHED: 10:25 EDT, 1 August 2020 | UPDATED: 17:20 EDT, 1 August 2020

Just 35 minutes before play began the news was released that one of the qualifiers had tested positive for Covid-19. When 25 year-old Bulgarian Viktoriya Tomova was removed from the schedule due to ‘illness’, not many sleuthing powers were required to ascertain her identity. She did not have symptoms.

The case shows why tennis’s return to meaningful play hangs by a thread, and why this comeback to tour action in a remote southern Europe outpost of the sport might still be the road to nowhere.

Italy’s government has imposed quarantine on people coming from Bulgaria, and ironically the event went to the authorities to request a waiver for players who would be adhering to the strict protocols they are imposing. Still it happened.

Tournament director Oliviero Palma was sitting in a sealed off room at the Covid-segregated Palermo Country Time Club. After 31 years in the job he has seen most things, but never anything like this.

...the fact is tournaments the size of Palermo simply cannot afford to book a whole hotel outright, especially in peak season. Palma, already saddled with extra Covid costs, knows they are going to lose money this week and hopes that everyone can show understanding.

After years of pampering, re-education about the incoming financial realities might not be so easy. Stefano Vukov, coach to rising Russian star Elena Rybakina, gave an indication of that when he put a plaintive post on social media last week.

Stating that players were being tested ‘out on the street’, he went on: ‘People walking in and out of the official hotel that have nothing to do with the player or the tournament… absolute joke.’

(...)

Amid all of it are the players. Top seed Petra Martic reacted to the Tomova news saying ‘it’s unfortunate. I know they kept her in the room and she hasn’t had contact with anyone which is really important. That definitely helps you feel safer.’

Despite the scare, there was something uplifting about seeing the first balls struck yesterday, with line judges and ballkids on court (all of whom must now be over 18), while 350 fans per day are permitted.

With all due respect to coaches/players/entrepreneurs such as Jamie Murray and Patrick Mouratoglou —and their admirable efforts to keep the show going — the official tour is where careers and dreams are built, or destroyed.

No fake nicknames or contrived teams, just the hard currency of ranking points. And the cold fear of Covid.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...ronavirus.html

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    She never does very well in New York. Why not stay in Europe and practice on clay to prepare for the French? Oh, well. I hate it when people question a player's scheduling decisions, so I'm not doing that. Just a curiosity.
    I think Madrid's cancellation will get a lot of Europeans who would have skipped the USO to reconsider.

I also think Halep's results at the USO are a little misleading. She had to play Sharapova and Kanepi in back to back 1st rounds. Those easily could have been QF match ups. I think Townsend is her only truly lousy upset in the last 5 years. The whole tournament has to feel like a crapshoot, so it must be tempting.

José Morgado @josemorgado Via Marca:

- Madrid to be cancelled soon (Djokovic already told the players on the Whatsapp group)
    - USTA wants to disqualify players who have infected people on their teams. ATP disagrees and is thinking about not giving ranking points to US events

https://www.marca.com/tenis/2020/08/...c238b45ba.html (Spanish)

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    The problem with not naming any player that tests positive is that then, for all practical purposes, ALL players tested positive. You would not know who in the locker room is the one with the condition.
    I understand that there are always medical confidentiality issues. But this is different.
    I don't think it is. Privacy is sacred. There are other ways to protect the people who don't know the person's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I think Madrid's cancellation will get a lot of Europeans who would have skipped the USO to reconsider.

I also think Halep's results at the USO are a little misleading. She had to play Sharapova and Kanepi in back to back 1st rounds. Those easily could have been QF match ups. I think Townsend is her only truly lousy upset in the last 5 years. The whole tournament has to feel like a crapshoot, so it must be tempting.
    Tough opponents, but still three years of disappointment. I was at the Kanepi match, and Halep did not play or compete well at all. Maybe a rotten streak but she definitely has a better chance at the French and it will be tough to do well at both.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 08-03-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Tough opponents, but still three years of disappointment. I was at the Kanepi match, and Halep did not play or compete well at all. Maybe a rotten streak but she definitely has a better chance at the French and it will be tough to do well at both.
    Totally agree that her odds are much better at the French. The tricky thing is, with Madrid cancelled, the US Open could now be considered necessary to get some match play.

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    ^ Any player who tests positive would not be in the locker room - so if it is announced that a player has tested positive, there should be no fear of that player being in the locker room, or anywhere else on the tournament site. Any player who's tested positive will be removed from all tournament environments.
    But players who've been in close contact with the player who's tested positive - whether the player is named or not - could be in the locker room or anywhere else on the site - I think that's where the concern would be. Another concern would be wondering who was in contact with the infected player before he/she tested positive and was removed from the tournament.

All that said, I maintain that it is a bad idea to start professional sports up again, as is being done. Apart from the obvious inherent danger of so doing, it also sends the message to the general public that the virus is 'under control', and that's why pro sports are getting back to being played. This will inevitably lead to the general public feeling more comfortable about not protecting themselves - and others - from the virus, and instead getting closer to living their normal lives. And that's dangerous.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 08-03-2020 at 10:47 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Madrid officially canceled

https://twitter.com/mutuamadridopen/...876251654?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Totally agree that her odds are much better at the French. The tricky thing is, with Madrid cancelled, the US Open could now be considered necessary to get some match play.
    yeah, it will be interesting to see. Given her hesitation to travel to the US (if that was genuine) and the turnaround time to clay AND her history at the US Open, curious decision to play NY. She'd want to also play Cincy, I'm guessing. She played well in Cincy last year, lost a terrific match to Keys, who won the title.

Seems like the European players who skip the US Open could arrange an exhibition in September for match play on clay.

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 227424849505152