Agree Agree:  309
Likes Likes:  256
Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 173238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Re: Covid19 & Tennis

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Welp, not surprising but Isner just used the term "coronabros" on Twitter. Why does it feel like this pandemic is turning tennis into pro wrestling with "faces" and "heels". I hope the first live crowds really give it to all these players. I'd be in favor of an organized walkout for Djokovic, Dmitrov, Zverev, Isner, etc. when they take the court. That would be amazing.
    "turning men's tennis"...
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Frith @pluckyloser
    "but I understand that perception can be reality" imagine saying this to someone who is telling you about their family member dying horribly.

Phill Bennett @phillario
    Replying to @pluckyloser
    In the same tweet,
    ‘I’m sorry this deadly virus killed your family’ then in the next line ‘I also don’t like this perception that the virus is dangerous and deadly’
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Isner is digging his hole deeper and deeper with each tweet.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

And my detour is: Covid-19, the response to the pandemic, your opinion about it, the facts surrounding it and all related subjects are too complex a subject to be properly discussed in 140 characters at a time.
    This frigging idea that every subject in the world can be discussed in such a silly platform is detrimental to proper discourse.

Back to Covid, I guess.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    And my detour is: Covid-19, the response to the pandemic, your opinion about it, the facts surrounding it and all related subjects are too complex a subject to be properly discussed in 140 characters at a time.
    This frigging idea that every subject in the world can be discussed in such a silly platform is detrimental to proper discourse.

Back to Covid, I guess.
    Ponchi, mi amigo, it's now up to 240 characters per tweet.

(I hope I used the Spanish words correctly).

280. They doubled it. But you get my point.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

There will be a brand new WTA tournament in Prague on clay the week of August 10th. Kvitova and Pliskova are going to play there. They plan to allow spectators, but only 2,000.
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Frith @pluckyloser
    "but I understand that perception can be reality" imagine saying this to someone who is telling you about their family member dying horribly.

Phill Bennett @phillario
    Replying to @pluckyloser
    In the same tweet,
    ‘I’m sorry this deadly virus killed your family’ then in the next line ‘I also don’t like this perception that the virus is dangerous and deadly’
    I don't think that's what Isner is saying here. Isn't he saying "I didn't intend my tweet to make light of the virus, but my intention doesn't matter if you perceived it as such." He's at least recognizing that her reading of his comment is valid, and he's sort of apologizing.

I think he's a dick, but let's at least be fair to him.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

RG are going to be selling tickets up to 60% of stadium capacity

To be fair, I think Ben has gotten most of us riled up enough with his tabloidy sensationalism at some point to cause us to clap back--I'll call it--ineloquently. However, someone should change Isner's Twitter password temporarily.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 07-02-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

I'm no Isner fan--some of his social media posts and outright statements have been reprehensible in the past--but there's no way to conflate his reply to the tweet as his saying he doesn't like the perception the virus is deadly and dangerous.

It's embarrassing that anyone could read it that way and borderline disingenuous. I agree with woody.

TBH I had no idea what he was trying to say and I'm glad to see his statement debated. I can see both interpretations.

He specifically chose to mock extremely basic precautions during a global pandemic. I'm not overly concerned if one particular message was misinterpreted.

Sure, I agree. I think he was sloppily saying "I didn't mean that at all, but I am still sorry if I caused you pain. I didn't mean it." One on one, I think he'd be great.

It doesn't change his unending and extremely clear original message.

John Isner's inability to break serve and his support of the bogus 'alllivesmatter' movement compels me to not give much credence to what he says with his raquet or his mouth.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

Frances Tiafoe has tested positive for the coronavirus and withdrawn from the All-American Team Cup tennis tournament in Atlanta.

Tiafoe was scheduled to face Tennys Sandgren on Saturday in the weekend tournament involving eight top American men’s players. The event is allowing a limited number of fans and not requiring masks, though will provide them if requested.

Tiafoe defeated Sam Querrey on Friday but was showing symptoms after the match and a test was positive.

Tiafoe, a 22-year-old who reached the 2019 Australian Open quarterfinals, left the event site and was replaced by Christopher Eubanks. Tiafoe was captain of Team Stars, playing against John Isner’s Team Stripes.

Top-ranked Novak Djokovic and three other pro players had tested positive for the virus after playing in a similar exhibition event in Europe. The pro tennis tours are suspended until August.

___
    https://apnews.com/324c97ae089c6528a93a70e0d179af4e

Page 42 of 53 FirstFirst ... 173238394041424344454652 ... LastLast